Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Considering a Google Pixel 2 phone. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy 5 question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Considering a Google Pixel 2 phone. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy 5 question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.

My Galaxy Samsung ~5 is almost 4 years old. I'm considering getting the new Google Pixel 2 phone. It's been getting good reviews. My question is, will Verizon be able to sync my old information to the new phone?

Does anyone have the Google Pixel 2? Can you tell me about your experience. Pros and cons.

Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:16 pm

If you are using google properly you generally will have everything after you log in with your Google account. I recently went from a S5 to a Pixel 1 and it was no problem. My email, calendar, and contacts all showed up automatically (and probably lots more). Then I just had to re-install any apps that I still wanted on my new phone.

There is probably a way to sync photos and videos with Google but I'm not sure. I use Dropbox for that.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Does anyone have the Google Pixel 2? Can you tell me about your experience. Pros and cons.
I'm very happy with the Pixel 2 (smaller version).

It feels great in hand, has a nice screen, is very fast, has the best current phone camera (according to reviews), will get three years of OS version updates.

The only flaw is the lack of a headphone jack, although the included adapter works well.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
The short answer is yes. I am on Verizon and switched from Samsung to Pixel with no trouble transferring everything.

I like the Pixel. The lack of bloatware is refreshing.
dhammer53 and LordHamster like this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:13 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I upgrade Google phones on almost a yearly basis. (My mom's getting my Pixel -- her first smart phone -- so I have an excuse to get a Pixel 2.) The upgrade process is getting easier and easier. As others have said, assuming you're using Google's services, almost everything will automatically download once you do the basis Google setup on the new phone. When you upgrade to your next Google phone it will be even easier -- just put the new and old phone back to back and even less setup is required on your end.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:17 am

I know its not specific to the Samsung->Pixel but I'd recommend to anyone to use the google services. I've got the calendar, contacts, notes, keep, duo, etc. up to date and use them on my iPhone. When I had to switch to a new iPhone it was a piece of cake. I am looking at my next phone and will play with the iPhone X but might look at the Pixel 2 or Galaxy S8 as well knowing that to move over will get my important info over quickly with google.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I'm thinking of switching to the Pixel 2. It seems the easiest of the various Android phones. I've had an iPhone for years but not being able to use Google Maps or Waze through Apple Car Play in my car is simply unacceptable.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by dhammer53
My Galaxy Samsung ~5 is almost 4 years old. I'm considering getting the new Google Pixel 2 phone. It's been getting good reviews. My question is, will Verizon be able to sync my old information to the new phone?

Thanks.
Actual software updates may be shocking to you coming from a Samsung device.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by ross123
I know its not specific to the Samsung->Pixel but I'd recommend to anyone to use the google services.
Well, I'd recommend not to use too many of Google's services.

I guess they bring convenience and you pay for that convenience at least in part with your data. I don't mind using a few Google services which I find particularly useful. But I make an effort to spread my data across multiple companies so nobody has the full picture. Some stuff is with Microsoft, some stuff on my own server, some stuff I encrypt on my end (before giving it to Dropbox), etc.

Life completely without Google or Apple is probably too difficult for the average user. But, once again, no reason to give one company everything IMO.

Back to the Pixel 2: It's a nice phone but I don't think the price tag is justified. It is not even the best smartphone out there, for example it doesn't have the bezel-less design of the S8 and iPhone X.

Personally, I wouldn't pull the trigger on it. The only compelling reason to get it is you value having the latest Android version above all else (and aren't willing to use third-party ROMs).
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:57 am

I recently purchased the 2XL. One thing to note if you're concerned about switching your "stuff" from the old phone to the new one, there is a cable to connect your iPhone or Android-powered device and transfer over what you need.

I went with this instead of my 2nd choice (Razer phone) primarily for historical reasons. Dual front-facing speakers were high on my list. Although I would have liked a bigger battery, it hasn't been an issue thus far. Camera is pretty good.

Cons include but are not limited to: Lack of a 3.5 headphone jack. Not a huge fan of the curved glass. Lack of wireless charging.

I'm sure that I'll find other things as I use the phone more but coming from an N6, this phone checked most of what I came to like about the N6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.