FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   iOS 11 (or iOS 11.0.3) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1872722-ios-11-ios-11-0-3-a.html)

Analise Oct 18, 2017 1:06 pm

iOS 11 (or iOS 11.0.3)

I have an SE and haven't updated to iOS 11 let alone 11.0.3. I'm reading reviews about how the latest update is draining phone batteries.

For those of you who have updated (and maybe have an SE), what is your opinion and/or experience with 11.0.3? Should I update or wait for bugs to be fixed? I have over 30 App Store updates I haven't done because they are geared to iOS 11.

What are your thoughts about it? Thanks.

cblaisd Oct 18, 2017 1:21 pm

I would never upgrade an iOS version until it's at least a decimal point update (e.g., 11.1). Too many experiences of people being sorry they "up"graded at first opportunity, who really are continuing beta testers.

But I'm still on on 9.0.3 because there has been no jailbreak, sadly, for anything past that (and prospects look increasingly dim).

CPRich Oct 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Every single iOS upgrade in history has come with news of "battery problem" complaints. And a bunch of news articles that pick out the 50 Twitter complaints (of the 100 million in use) and decide it's a global tidal wave. Then they go away after a few weeks.

My 6 had the same life before and after, other than the first 2-3 cycles that are needed to rebuild internal data/history/etc. My 8 is running 9-10 hours per charge.

I upgrade when upgrades are available. I've been doing it for 3 years. Never had a problem.

Yes, some percentage will have a problem. Just like some percentage fail everyday when not upgrading.

cblaisd Oct 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 28949275)
...I upgrade when upgrades are available. I've been doing it for 3 years. Never had a problem.

You've been very, very lucky.

My principle is not just for iOS, but all software: learned my lesson after a) accepting a Norton Anti-virus upgrade that hosed the ability to connect to a wifi network (on three different computers, since I had a "family plan"); b) an "up"grade of the Pogoplug software that took away the ability to mount the drives in Windows Explorer; c) an "up"grade to to FoxitPDF reader that was hugely worse than an older version.

Those are just three I remember.

You have been lucky. Folks should always search for issues/problems with upgrades before simply applying one.

So my advice to the op still stands, notwithstanding your very lucky experience :)

squeakr Oct 18, 2017 9:56 pm

I always check with Mac advice sites before applying any upgrade

Many Mac centric sites offer advice on whether to install an upgrade right away or not. And most of them will give a review after a few days to list any potential problems.

aquamarinesteph Oct 18, 2017 11:35 pm

I generally try to wait a few days/weeks before I'll install an upgrade for any of my Apple products.

Having said that, it always seems that each new version of the O/S is bigger battery hog than the previous incarnation.

LtKernelPanic Oct 18, 2017 11:42 pm

For a new release of iOS unless absolutely needed I'll almost always wait for the x.1 release. For x.y.z releases I'll usually wait a couple days to see if any major bugs show up.

HDQDD Oct 19, 2017 8:49 am

Every single iOS upgrade in history has come with news of "battery problem" complaints. And a bunch of news articles that pick out the 50 Twitter complaints (of the 100 million in use) and decide it's a global tidal wave. Then they go away after a few weeks.

My 6 had the same life before and after, other than the first 2-3 cycles that are needed to rebuild internal data/history/etc. My 8 is running 9-10 hours per charge.

I upgrade when upgrades are available. I've been doing it for 3 years. Never had a problem.

Yes, some percentage will have a problem. Just like some percentage fail everyday when not upgrading.

I'm with you, I'll take the update as soon as it's available. Never had an issue. Apple's developer and public beta program sees to that. ios 11 was run for months before it was released. Honestly, I'd say it's a model for other companies. That being said, you will always find issues in the wild. The reason I went up is the features available were worth the low risk. Specifically with iPads.

A wise man once said: "If you want to wait until software doesn't have bugs, you'll never get it".

If you look at release notes for fixes in ios 11.0.1/2/3, you'll see that they are very minor fixes that only affected a few users (i.e. the peeps who replaced their screens with knockoffs).

Disclaimer: I sell software for a living. I'm always an early adopter. If I see that "Software Update" button I'm pushing it. It's addictive like crack (or so I'm told).

HDQDD Oct 19, 2017 8:57 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 28949928)
You've been very, very lucky.

My principle is not just for iOS, but all software: learned my lesson after a) accepting a Norton Anti-virus upgrade that hosed the ability to connect to a wifi network (on three different computers, since I had a "family plan"); b) an "up"grade of the Pogoplug software that took away the ability to mount the drives in Windows Explorer; c) an "up"grade to to FoxitPDF reader that was hugely worse than an older version.

Norton Antivirus is probably the worst product in that category (all versions). Pogoplug and FoxitPDF I've never heard of, but I'm pretty certain they don't have the resources Apple does. Not really a fair comparison.

iOS 11 has already passed iOS 10 by number of devices (in less than a month), and no major issues have been reported... That just goes to show how good Apple is at managing their software/ecosystem.

DYKWIA Oct 19, 2017 9:28 am

My 8 is running 9-10 hours per charge.

Is that normal? You have to charge it twice a day?

gfunkdave Oct 19, 2017 9:53 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 28951641)
Is that normal? You have to charge it twice a day?

My 6s's battery life has tanked in the last few months. I think Apple intentionally designs batteries that wear out after two years to get you to buy a new phone. My phone has been mostly sitting on my desk since I got to work and is at 71% now.

I concur with the "just upgrade when you can" comments. Apple's beta testing is pretty robust, and upgrades also provide security patches.

Edit: two hours later and not using my phone, down to 50%

Analise Oct 19, 2017 10:03 am

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. Squeakr, like you, I read reviews after an update has been released. It seems like the reviews for iOS 11 are mixed. CPRich, I agree that there often seems to be complaints about a battery drain with new iOS releases. This adds to the frustration. Gfunkdave, I do wonder if there is intent to drain batteries.

DYKWIA Oct 19, 2017 10:25 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 28951737)
My 6s's battery life has tanked in the last few months. I think Apple intentionally designs batteries that wear out after two years to get you to buy a new phone. My phone has been mostly sitting on my desk since I got to work and is at 71% now.

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced they also throttle older phones when they release new versions of iOS also.

My S8 is currently at 73% having been on for about 10 hours. Only one phone call, and quite a bit of browsing and app use.

anrkitec Oct 19, 2017 5:44 pm

Well, I can provide at least one reason to not "upgrade" to 11.x.x.

In iOS 11 you can no longer turn the WiFi and Bluetooth radios off. from the control panel. The buttons one used to use to turn the radios off now just disconnects you from whichever network they are connected to, leaving the radios on and permanently roaming, looking for a new network or hotspot.

The practical result of this, as I have discovered, is that when I [think that] I have turned the WiFi off to switch to LTE so that I can walk around listening to FM radio or a podcast etc., the phone will automatically connect to a WiFi network or hotspot as I walk into and out of its range, which causes whichever audio app I am using to constantly stop/pause, forcing me to unlock the phone and restart the app or hit play again each time it happens.

Very frustrating - and also terrible for network security. :mad:

Edited for clarity.

anrkitec Oct 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 28951737)

I concur with the "just upgrade when you can" comments. Apple's beta testing is pretty robust, and upgrades also provide security patches.

Edit: two hours later and not using my phone, down to 50%

Took my less-than-one-year-old 6s into the store to get the battery replaced for just this reason. Tech said no go, battery is in spec. I explained that even in battery saver mode it will lose ~10% just sitting on my desk. His advice was [a] "Yeah, that seems to happen with newer OSes on older phones [no explanation forthcoming]" and [b] "Hey, the iPhone 8 has much better battery life, maybe you should upgrade." :rolleyes: