Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

iOS 11 (or iOS 11.0.3)

iOS 11 (or iOS 11.0.3)

Old Oct 19, 17, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by anrkitec View Post
In iOS 11 you can no longer turn the WiFi and Bluetooth radios off. The buttons one used to use to turn the radios off now just disconnects you from whichever network they are connected to, leaving the radios on and permanently roaming, looking for a new network or hotspot.
I have not experienced this personally. When I turn off WiFi and Bluetooth on my iOS 11 SE, they stay off...
Old Oct 19, 17, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wcj1 View Post
I have not experienced this personally. When I turn off WiFi and Bluetooth on my iOS 11 SE, they stay off...
"iOS 11's Control Center buttons don't fully turn off Bluetooth or WiFi

If you've updated to Apple's new iOS 11, you might have played around with the new Control Center. You also might think that toggling Bluetooth and WiFi "off" in the Center might actually, you know, turn them off. Turns out, you'd be wrong. As noted over at Motherboard, hitting these buttons really only disconnects you from any WiFi or Bluetooth devices you might be connected to." Engadget
Old Oct 20, 17, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I can provide at least one reason to not "upgrade" to 11.x.x.

In iOS 11 you can no longer turn the WiFi and Bluetooth radios off. The buttons one used to use to turn the radios off now just disconnects you from whichever network they are connected to, leaving the radios on and permanently roaming, looking for a new network or hotspot.

The practical result of this, as I have discovered, is that when I [think that] I have turned the WiFi off to switch to LTE so that I can walk around listening to FM radio or a podcast etc., the phone will automatically connect to a WiFi network or hotspot as I walk into and out of its range, which causes whichever audio app I am using to constantly stop/pause, forcing me to unlock the phone and restart the app or hit play again each time it happens.

Very frustrating - and also terrible for network security.
To be clear, it's just when accessed through the control center. If you go into Settings and turn wifi or Bluetooth off, they actually get turned off. Turning off Bluetooth or wifi via the control center just causes the phone to disconnect from devices and not make new connections. They do this presumably to aid location tracking, which uses neighboring wifi and bluetooth radios as additional data points.

The behavior you describe doesn't seem related.
Old Oct 20, 17, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I have a 5S and noticed my battery was draining faster than it used to before the IOS 11 upgrade, which I did when it was out for 2 weeks.

It does appear to be getting worse, and I plan on getting an 8, but don't want to do it before a trip, which is upcoming. I'll be traveling with my extra power supply

I was going to get a new battery, but it seems like a waste, so I've been dealing with.
Old Oct 20, 17, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
To be clear, it's just when accessed through the control center. If you go into Settings and turn wifi or Bluetooth off, they actually get turned off. Turning off Bluetooth or wifi via the control center just causes the phone to disconnect from devices and not make new connections. They do this presumably to aid location tracking, which uses neighboring wifi and bluetooth radios as additional data points.
That's just what I said.

It's a real PITA to have to dig into settings to actually turn WiFi on and off while walking/exercising

You used to be able to just swipe up from the home screen and toggle on/off.

The behavior you describe doesn't seem related.
No, this is exactly what I was descirbing. Unless you drill down into settings to turn the radios off, the phone will search for and automatically connect and disconnect to networks and hotspots as you walk into and out of their range. Those constant handoffs and disconnects cause various FM radio and podcast apps to stop/pause.

I will say though that I wasn't completely clear about accessing WiFi on/off through control center, that's what I meant by "the buttons you used to use to toggle on and off".

Last edited by anrkitec; Oct 20, 17 at 9:25 am
Old Oct 20, 17, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, that is exactly what I said. Unless you drill down into setting to turn the radios off, the phone will search for and automatically connect and disconnect to networks and hotspots as you walk into and out of their range. Those constant handoffs and disconnects cause various FM radio and podcast apps to stop/pause.
It doesn't connect to networks if you turn off Wifi in the control center. It keeps the radio on but doesn't connect to anything - so in that regard it acts like it's off. That's the part I was referring to that didn't make sense (sorry, was pre-coffee ).

So, if your phone is actually connecting to networks when you turn off Wifi in the control center, the setting must be being changed back to On somehow. Or there's a rather large and as yet undiscovered bug.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/21/ios-1...luetooth-wifi/

Interestingly, it appears that even if you turn off Wifi or Bluetooth in the control center, your phone will turn them back on by itself at 5am. That's rather annoying!! Maybe that's what you've encountered.
Old Oct 20, 17, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
My 6s's battery life has tanked in the last few months. I think Apple intentionally designs batteries that wear out after two years to get you to buy a new phone. My phone has been mostly sitting on my desk since I got to work and is at 71% now.
That's a limitation of Li-Ion technology. After 300 or so cycles (full charges) the battery will lose it's capacity linearly. After 500 or so, you'll notice a significant decrease in capacity. Every phone on the market today has this limitation. Bad thing about Apple, is that you can't change the battery (well, you can, but it's not easy).

Bout the only thing that can be done to minimize the loss, is to minimize the heat that the battery is exposed to.
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Oct 20, 17, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
I just got an iPhone 7 two weeks ago to upgrade from the SE. I had upgraded the SE to iOS 11, and had no intentions of upgrading the 7 until 11.1 came out. 11 has to be one of the worst OSs that Apple has released, it is so buggy. I had to do the upgrade on the 7 to get my last backup transferred. It was a mistake,< should have just dealt with it.

Problems I'm having (not an exhaustive list)

"Tap to top" works intermittently. Sometimes I have no issues with it, and other times it just won't work.
The keyboard will randomly stop working. Won't let me enter anything in until I close the app I was using and starting over.
The keyboard will also change away from Swiftkey. The option to switch back will disappear as well.
It will randomly freeze up. Power button will work to shut the screen off, but it won't accept passcodes or touch ID to unlock. Just have to wait for it to unlock. And a hard reset won't work either.
Youtube and Google Play Music won't always stop playing music when I get a phone call. I can hear it playing, adjusting the volume has no effect on things. Pressing play or pause does nothing either. I just can't fix it.
Missed calls/notifications. I'll switch it to vibrate, it will vibrate when it wants to. I won't get the notification on my iPhone or MacBook that it is ringing. The display will light up, but there won't be a caller ID shown, or an answer option. Then it will shut off and I'll get a missed call alert. Notifications, I'll just get a random beeps here and there. No idea what they're for, and if you don't see what is "recent' right away, the "earlier today" ones don't always return.

I am half tempted to put the 7 away and go back to the SE or my old HTC 10. Once this os gets stable, I'll wait a few weeks before upgrading to iOS 12 though. I should never have done the upgrade.

Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
That's a limitation of Li-Ion technology. After 300 or so cycles (full charges) the battery will lose it's capacity linearly. After 500 or so, you'll notice a significant decrease in capacity. Every phone on the market today has this limitation. Bad thing about Apple, is that you can't change the battery (well, you can, but it's not easy).

Bout the only thing that can be done to minimize the loss, is to minimize the heat that the battery is exposed to.
I worked in wireless for a very long time. Typical customers noticed a decrease in battery life at about 18 months. At 36 months a phone that could last two or three days would go dead in a day. This goes all the way back to the Nokia 5165 and 8260. Lithium-ion is much more durable than the Ni-Cad batteries were, which was great, but customers couldn't quite grasp that a battery isn't exactly like a car's gas tank, but more like their actual battery. They are a wear and tear item. That all being said, if the battery tanks within a year, that is a problem.
Old Oct 20, 17, 5:10 pm

Programs: United MP
My only complaint for the new version is the notifications. If I have several unread messages, they all disappear from the notification center after opening one of them. Then it says there are no older messages. I still have several unread, but I have to go the mail or messages app to mark them read. I hate that. I can't figure out why they would change that. I have searched in vain looking for an article explaining why that change.

Oh, and sometimes when using larger text, I can't click on the things at the top of the screen until I restart the app.
Old Oct 25, 17, 4:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post

.... and having a case to better protect the phone from physical damage may increase the heat to which the battery is exposed.
Old Oct 31, 17, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL, BA, HH
I upgrade my iPhone every 2 years, so I either have a brand new one or a newish model. I am currently using a 7 and when it upgraded it to ios 11 as well as 11.02 and .03 I had serious battery issues that I noticed immediately. Granted I have a lot of programs open all the time and get a lot of alerts, but this never effected ios 10.

Apple released ios 11.1 today and I quickly upgraded the phone again. It was reported that the 11.1 update would correct for the battery problems, so there wasn't really a choice for me. So far I havent noticed a change between 11.03 and 11.1 but I have only been running 11.1 for a few hours.

For reference, I was always able to make it through a day of heavy use with iOS 10. I was never nervous that I was going to drop a call or run out of battery before the day was over. When I upgraded to ios 11, I was/am very concerned. I had to do a lot of battery saving things like decrease the brightness immediately and monitor background apps closely.
Old Oct 31, 17, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by OceanAir View Post
I upgrade my iPhone every 2 years, so I either have a brand new one or a newish model. I am currently using a 7 and when it upgraded it to ios 11 as well as 11.02 and .03 I had serious battery issues that I noticed immediately. Granted I have a lot of programs open all the time and get a lot of alerts, but this never effected ios 10.

Apple released ios 11.1 today and I quickly upgraded the phone again. It was reported that the 11.1 update would correct for the battery problems, so there wasn't really a choice for me. So far I havent noticed a change between 11.03 and 11.1 but I have only been running 11.1 for a few hours.

For reference, I was always able to make it through a day of heavy use with iOS 10. I was never nervous that I was going to drop a call or run out of battery before the day was over. When I upgraded to ios 11, I was/am very concerned. I had to do a lot of battery saving things like decrease the brightness immediately and monitor background apps closely.
It will take a day or two for the phone to finish indexing before you'd notice any improvements.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: