Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security/Pet Monitors with Two-Way Video

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Security/Pet Monitors with Two-Way Video

I thought something like this would be easy to find, but apparently not so. We are looking for a two way monitor with a high-def wifi camera whose image we can view remotely on a smartphone or laptop, but with a basestation that includes a video monitor so the pets at home can see and hear us - it needs high-def video, zoom/pan/tilt/etc for the camera, and can sit on a table (not wall mounted).

Does such a thing exist?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I thought something like this would be easy to find, but apparently not so. We are looking for a two way monitor with a high-def wifi camera whose image we can view remotely on a smartphone or laptop, but with a basestation that includes a video monitor so the pets at home can see and hear us - it needs high-def video, zoom/pan/tilt/etc for the camera, and can sit on a table (not wall mounted).

Does such a thing exist?
Ages ago, I used to have a similar setup with a contractor. He and I worked together and wanted a virtual office setup. We set up a cheap old PC in the corner of each office with Skype and a webcam, and just left the call running all way every day. If I recall correctly skype even had an "auto-answer" function at the time.

Not sure if this can still be done.

Edit:
https://blogs.skype.com/tips/2014/04...eye-on-things/

Still an option I guess.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Petcube Bites comes close. You get pet audio and video. Pet gets audio + the device flings treats at them. They might prefer that to master's video.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Other than coming up with your own solution, similar to what LordHamster describes, PetChatz seems like the closest thing. And rather than mounting on a wall, you could fashion some sort of a stand for it so it sits on a table.

Edit: I'm actually thinking LordHamster's suggestion is your best bet. If you have an old laptop (or desktop with monitor), all you'd really need to do is set up the monitory/display somewhere and hook up a pan/tilt/zoom camera, which seem plentiful and affordable on Amazon. Hook up to an Echo or other bluetooth/wireless speaker with mic for better audio. Enable Auto-Answer via skype (or I hear google hangouts does this too) and you're in business.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Oct 18, 2017 at 10:41 am
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thanks all,

Unfortunately we don't have an old computer to do the setup, and the pets are birds, so unlikely to appreciate a treat being tossed at them. I will look at the other devices to see if either will work.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'd just like to slightly hijack this thread.

We'd love to see what our hedgehog does at night (since they are nocturnal). Can anyone recommend a small night-vision camera with DVR capabilities?
GadgetFreak likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Maybe a baby monitor?
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-ba...view-3296.html

There's some fancy stuff out there if you're willing to pay >$100 for it.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:00 pm

If you can do without PTZ, the original Canary camera ticks all of the other boxes. 2-way audio, HD, easily remote viewable. Recording volume is very good. Talk-back audio is passable.

In recent months I've completely ditched my landline phone & internet at a few of my homes due to rising costs, which left me looking for a solution for my alarm systems.

I ended up abandoning the hardwire alarm systems (I still use them, but they don't call anyone now) and putting in T-Mobile hotspots ($10/mo) and Canary cameras, and they've worked quite well. They were particularly good for the hurricane, and I was able to pull up my cameras all around the state. It's also kind of slick that I can carry a Canary and T-Mobile hotspot and basically have CCTV coverage anywhere I am.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I'd just like to slightly hijack this thread.

We'd love to see what our hedgehog does at night (since they are nocturnal). Can anyone recommend a small night-vision camera with DVR capabilities?
Have you looked at wildlife cameras? Amazon has a big selection.

My son has one for recording the critters in our yard, and the night shots are pretty good. His is 7 years old, so I suspect the new ones are even better. His has a card that I pull out to upload the videos and photos to a computer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.