Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which apps help you enjoy your flight?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by juakkers
Readly.

Everything about flying is exciting. Well, everything except the part before you fly. A lot of things can make you want to scream in frustration while waiting at the airport: bad weather, long lines, rowdy crowds. We could go on, but instead, we’ll do you a solid and tell you about the apps we turn to to fix everything from a growling stomach to jet lag. You’re on your phone already, right? Here are the seven we always keep on our home screens.

1. Ifly pro
2. Gate Guru
3. Loung Buddy
4. MiFlight
5. Airport Transit Guide
6. Entrain
7.Flysmart

Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Buy a KINDLE

We couldn't count the number of sectors, both long and short, where they have been the most essential travel commodity. Loaded with FREE books, of course. Also available on iPad.

If you need moving pictures, I defer to others.

what is meant by 'sectors' ?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bukzin
what is meant by 'sectors' ?
A sector is "one flight", that is, a flight from one city to another with a single flight number.

For instance, London to Dublin on British Airways Flight 832 is one sector.

London City to New York via Shannon on British Airways Flight 1 is also one sector, even though it involves two take offs.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:02 pm

Reading apps on the iPad!
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: AC E50K, HHonors Silver, NEXUS/GE, IHG Elite Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
My public library provides me access to OverDrive and Hoopla, which let me download (for free, that's the key) audiobooks, and some TV programs. We also have access to Zinio which has magazines.
+1 for OverDrive - I download ebooks from the public library and read them on flights, since I have little free time otherwise. I use PressReader for ezines and occasionally do crossword puzzles if I can find free ones
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Well, I dowloaded the BBC Radio app but can't download any radio programs it starts the download then immediately comes up with "Failed", this is on IOS and Android so I guess It can't be used outside of the UK as the BBC is notorious for Geo-blocking everything. Shame as there was some interesting stuff on there to listen to.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:49 am

As a music lover, I am using Wynk and Saavn during flights.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Amex/SPG
Here’s a little tip for iPhone users...

You may not have realized, but GPS works in airplane mode (it hasn’t always, but was enabled with iOS 9 or 10, I’m not quite sure). In addition, Google Maps does an excellent job now of downloading and storing locally all its map data as you’re browsing around an area so that if you return to it without a data connection, it works just fine.

These two facts in combination mean that us flight route geeks can use our phone to see in great detail exactly where we are during a flight. I used it the entire way from LHR to SFO recently and was able to figure out every tiny little town we were flying over from start to end -it was awesome!

There’s a few tricks to getting this to work reliably:
  • Before you fly, use the app to browse through your approximate flight route from start to end. That ensures the map tiles will be downloaded and stored locally
  • You may need a window seat to reliably grab on to a GPS signal
  • On occasion, if the signal is lost, switching briefly to Apple Maps grabs it again quickly

Hope this is helpful to other route geeks
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by aidano

You may not have realized, but GPS works in airplane mode (it hasn’t always, but was enabled with iOS 9 or 10, I’m not quite sure). In addition, Google Maps does an excellent job now of downloading and storing locally all its map data as you’re browsing around an area so that if you return to it without a data connection, it works just fine.

These two facts in combination mean that us flight route geeks can use our phone to see in great detail exactly where we are during a flight. I used it the entire way from LHR to SFO recently and was able to figure out every tiny little town we were flying over from start to end -it was awesome!

• Before you fly, use the app to browse through your approximate flight route from start to end. That ensures the map tiles will be downloaded and stored locally
  • On occasion, if the signal is lost, switching briefly to Apple Maps grabs it again quickly

Thank you Aidano, I have recently purchased iPhone. this will be helpful for me.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Android users who like podcasts should check out Podcast Addict. It's very user friendly and allows downloading of selected casts for listening when wifi or cell signal won't be available.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
Android users who like podcasts should check out Podcast Addict. It's very user friendly and allows downloading of selected casts for listening when wifi or cell signal won't be available.
As an android user, this is my podcast app of choice.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:55 pm

I use Pocket Earth app for this very purpose, as it also gives my altitude, speed, etc. in addition to being able to have offline maps. It's fantastic, and fun. I'll bookmark interesting geographic sites, and sometimes record my flight to review the path at a later date. Now I just need to find a good way to attach my phone to the window for optimal GPS reception. Suction cups?

Originally Posted by aidano

Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: none
I actually use the TV on the airplane on long distance flights Airlines have really good movie selections these days so I don't need to store movies in my phone anymore
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by lofirick
I actually use the TV on the airplane on long distance flights Airlines have really good movie selections these days so I don't need to store movies in my phone anymore
This is a good choice unless you fly the same Long Haul several times in a row. Then downloadable stuff is preferred. I use books, games, Amazon Video, Netflix, and purchased movies to pass the time if I am not sleeping.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
All podcasts apps. Let you download, don't they?

And play back at accelerated speeds?

I load videos on my iPad, recordings from my Tivo as well as movies and shows onto VLC, which now reads your Plex server, I just discovered.

But I usually have no problems with the IFE content. I will rewatch recent seasons of HBO shows, like the just-completed season of Curb Your Enthusiasm on a recent flight.

Back in the day, browsers would cache pages locally. Safari doesn't seem to do that or else I'd save dozens of pages at the airport before boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.