Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which apps help you enjoy your flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I use www.playon.tv to record programmes from a number of channels for offline viewing when flying.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Amazon/Kindle or anything for reading books.

My personal preference is a paper book, but I know they take up a lot of space in hand luggage.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:23 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by FredtheBulbousSquidge
Flyover Country - preload maps of the flightpath and the app uses GPS to track progress (so works in flight-safe mode). Useful for when flying airlines without IFE/screens with moving maps. Like a lot of my short-haul BA...
2nd this, a great app for those of us that like to stare out of the window! Can be a little difficult to get a gps fix, and at my age I often forget to download the maps before wheels up!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This thread was originally posted in the BA forum, but the scope is much wider so it has been moved here for further discussion.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: BA GGL
I like the VLC app for TV shows and movies I've already downloaded. And Netflix or BBC iPlayer for their downloadable content.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Lefly
Amazon/Kindle or anything for reading books.

My personal preference is a paper book, but I know they take up a lot of space in hand luggage.
I agree. Nothing beats reading.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:39 pm

Kindle Keyboard (circa-2010). I never thought I'd go for an e-reader, but the Kindle Keyboard was the first one I picked up which was worth using. The e-ink screen is MUCH better than reading an LCD/OLED screen.

It's not too good if you have to flip back & forth between pages, as in reference (medical) books, but I find it better for pleasure reading. If anything, with the edge buttons, it has better ergonomics than a paperback. Bonus: The libraries I belong to all offer direct-to-Kindle lending.

Android apps: Air Control (game, doesn't require WiFi), RBDigital (library magazines), VLC/Mobo Player (video downloads)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Netflix / Amazon Prime video
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
For me, I typically:
  • Listen to podcasts (like Curious City about Chicago, the Hidden Brain, etc.)
  • Watch downloaded movies/shows (Amazon Prime, Netflix, Xfinity, stuff I've copied onto my phone/tablet)
  • Read eBooks (Overdrive app for library books; Kindle for purchased ebooks)
  • Listen to music while I work
  • Read digital magazines (Flipster through my public library)
  • Audiobooks (much less frequently, but I get this on 3M cloud library and hoopla through my library)
  • Random offline games on my digital device
  • Do a little work on my laptop
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:52 am
Suspended

Netflix now allows you to download titles for offline viewing. The entire catalog is not available but in general Netflix originals are almost always allowed + many others.

I usually use flights to catch up on things I've been meaning to watch.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Pzizz has changed my life. Back as a wee global traveler jet lag was the bane of my existence; this app cured my jet lag. Pzizz uses neurolinguistic programming to induce a deep sleep making even an ultra long haul pass quickly.

For what it is worth I pay for the premium version, although the free version more than meets my needs. Just want them to keep updating so it does not bitrot.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Pzizz has changed my life. Back as a wee global traveler jet lag was the bane of my existence; this app cured my jet lag. Pzizz uses neurolinguistic programming to induce a deep sleep making even an ultra long haul pass quickly.

For what it is worth I pay for the premium version, although the free version more than meets my needs. Just want them to keep updating so it does not bitrot.
Hmm, interesting. Will have to try it. A lot of great testimonials, although I'm naturally skeptical about such things. I generally have no problems falling asleep at home, although I would like to sleep better on flights or when crossing several time zones.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
I've got the Kindle app on my phone and bring a Kindle or two when I travel. Having a bunch of books helps. But having games on my laptop is even better - the hard part is finding a game that will run my laptop that I enjoy & can play with a touchpad instead of a mouse.

Not sure if you are or would be into video games, but Dwarf Fortress is a great time killer for me. That particular game isn't for everyone, but there's others out there
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
If it is during the portions of the flight in which I cannot use my laptop, I'll end up playing something mindless on my phone (usually Candy Crush).

But, once we can use laptops, I have a ROM emulator which can play a wide variety of games. I'm currently playing Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but before that I was playing Perfect Dark. On longer flights, I'll generally play Tropico 4 or Age of Empires 3.

If I'm not in the mood for a game, I'll continue to organize photos that I've taken so that I can eventually have some semblance of a neat and coherent system.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
My public library provides me access to OverDrive and Hoopla, which let me download (for free, that's the key) audiobooks, and some TV programs. We also have access to Zinio which has magazines.
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.