Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How to make calls in Hong Kong with AT&T international day plan

Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

I added AT&T international day plan to my account before my trip to Hong Kong. After arriving at HK yesterday., I am connected to local CSL network. I have data access which is great. But I can't make or receive calls to/from local Hk number or US number. I got error message saying the call can't be completed, error code Message 6, US01LV. Chatted with at&t customer service for 2 hours and they couldn't figure out this one.

For those who had used the plan in HK, are there steps I need to do to make calls, or adjustments to my phone settings? I am using iPhone 6 Plus.

Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:07 pm

Have you tried adding in front +1 for US and +852 for Hong Kong?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Have you tried adding in front +1 for US and +852 for Hong Kong?
When I've usd this plan in Europe, I just manually enter the area code plus the phone number. No + or 1 before the area code. For some reason, when I try to use the number stored in my Contacts folder & just hit the call button, the call doesn't go through. The thing that works for me is as described above - manually entering the number.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
When I've usd this plan in Europe, I just manually enter the area code plus the phone number. No + or 1 before the area code. For some reason, when I try to use the number stored in my Contacts folder & just hit the call button, the call doesn't go through. The thing that works for me is as described above - manually entering the number.
It depends on the agreements that the networks have with each other and the technology integration each network have with each other.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
You should store all numbers in your phone as + country code and then local number. This way it works everywhere.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
It depends on the agreements that the networks have with each other and the technology integration each network have with each other.

I'm not sure of the relevance of your comment to my post. Bottom line for me, is that, I have no problems when I'm overseas, making/receiving calls on my U.S. based cellphone, using the AT&T Passport plan.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
You should store all numbers in your phone as + country code and then local number. This way it works everywhere.
All of mine are. However, when I am overseas, I have to manually dial my home phone, or any other U.S. number, WITHOUT the + or country code. The call goes through without a hitch.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Go to settings, phone, dial assist and try changing that from on to off or vice versa.

I have it off, and save all my contacts in international format (+, country code, number). All my calls go through like that. When dialling manually, if calling in the country I am currently in, I can dial in local or international format (i.e. in London I could dial either 020 7123 4567 or +44 20 7123 4567) and it works. For calling anywhere else, include back to North America, I have to dial in international format.

When I turn dial assist on, I start having problems.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:17 am

Fortunately, with the AT&T Passport plan (I believe other carriers have a similar plan), when I am somewhere overseas and want to call back to the U.S., I only have to dial the area code and then the number. I.e., xxx-xxx-xxxx. No international format or anything else. It works like a charm and I don't have to worry about international long distance charges with this plan either, which is the best part.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
All of mine are. However, when I am overseas, I have to manually dial my home phone, or any other U.S. number, WITHOUT the + or country code. The call goes through without a hitch.
Sounds like you may have an VOIP app that registered itself as the international call handler. It is routing international calls over the data connection to save you money, but the data connection is not fast enough to support VOIP.

Google Voice, Hangout, Skype, WhatsApp, Line, just to name a few, can be set as the international call handler, sometimes without your knowledge. Dig through your VOIP or chat apps' settings.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by msb0b
Sounds like you may have an VOIP app that registered itself as the international call handler. It is routing international calls over the data connection to save you money, but the data connection is not fast enough to support VOIP.

Google Voice, Hangout, Skype, WhatsApp, Line, just to name a few, can be set as the international call handler, sometimes without your knowledge. Dig through your VOIP or chat apps' settings.
Nope, none of those apps or, any others, on my phone. I'm not sure why so many posters are not comprehending that my carrier is AT&T and I'm ONLY using their Passport plan, to make/receive calls, send/receive texts and use cellular data while I'm overseas. It's $10/24 hour period (not day) for unlimited texts, unlimited phone calls and cellular data up to the limits of your plan. It works just as if I was back in the U.S. At the risk of repeating myself, it works like a charm.

If anyone wants more info, you may want to check AT&T's Passport plan page or similar page for other carriers. It really is quite simple and not as complicated as others are making it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.