Wiki Posts
Search

Battery Power Bar

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage, United, Southwest
Battery Power Bar

So I am trying to determine if the one I have is ok to take with me in my carry on for my travel [mco-sfo, sfo-pvg, pek-hnd, nrt-atl-mco].
Battery with rated energy more than 100Wh and no more than 160Wh must be approved by the airlines.

The power bar I bought from work (Disney) says Capacity 2600mAh, input DC5v/0.6A, output DC5V/1.0A

Is this ok? Sorry if this seems dumb, but I don't usually travel with one, but we will be gone for 2 week, in 2 foreign countries and I want a back up in case my phone needs emergency juice.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Short answer: Your battery has 13 Wh, which is way below the 100Wh limit.

Slightly longer answer: There's a tool you can use.

Longer answer:

Wh (watt-hours) is a measure of energy. it's power (watt) times time (hours), and kind of a stupid unit, but we use it because only nerds use internally consistent units such as Joules.

Anyways, to convert to watt-hours you have to multiply the current-hours (measured here in milliampere hours) by output voltage. In your case, that means 2600mAh*5V = 13000mWh (milliwatt hours). Since 1 millwatt is 1/1000th of a Watt, we now have to divide by 1000 to get from mWh to Wh: 13000mWh / 1000 = 13 Wh.

Last edited by itsMoe; Sep 29, 2017 at 9:12 am
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage, United, Southwest
Great! Thanks so much!
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:33 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
It'sMoe is correct, you're far below what the max to bring on is. But it cannot be checked, only carried on.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
You mention PVG and PEK. The security in mainland China are anal about power packs. They will require that the power capacity be labeled in plain sight on the power pack itself, or they will confiscate it. I know because I've had one of mine confiscated in PEK
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
Battery Power Bar

mjcewl1284 is correct. Security in mainland China will want to actually see the battery pack and verify that it has a capacity below 20,000 mAh. There are signs that show this around the security checkpoints. The key is that the info is clearly printed on the battery.

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
You mention PVG and PEK. The security in mainland China are anal about power packs. They will require that the power capacity be labeled in plain sight on the power pack itself, or they will confiscate it. I know because I've had one of mine confiscated in PEK
Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:58 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this is far more related to discussion in our Travel Technology forum, than in a single airline's forum, let me move it there for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.