Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Are we All Suckers for Using Expensive Phones When a Cheap $40 Will Work Fine?

Are we All Suckers for Using Expensive Phones When a Cheap $40 Will Work Fine?

Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well the move towards water resistance probably makes it tougher to have a swappable battery compartment and certainly to allow users to swap batteries.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by wco81
Well the move towards water resistance probably makes it tougher to have a swappable battery compartment and certainly to allow users to swap batteries.
There are plenty of "extreme condition" devices that have removable batteries.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I like polos, not dress shirts. Pockets are very much out of style these days.
Then where do you keep your fountain pens? They'd make one heck of a mess in your trouser pocket.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by cubbie
I have an old-model Samsung Galaxy phone, and although I've thought about upgrading it, I'm really turned off by the fact that Samsung has gone the Apple way of using nonremovable batteries. Talk about planned obscelence. When it does come time for me to switch to a newer phone, I guess, and I'm sorry to say, it won't be a Samsung.
Me too! Samsung Note 4. I even have a spare one now. I've replaced the battery TWICE on it in 3 years, swap memory cards somewhat often, AND use the headphone jack quite a bit.

I still would love if someone would build a phone with a REAL battery in it, at least twice the runtime of this phone, longer would be better. It's not the worst by any means, and I do chuckle when I see all of the iCrapple people huddling around wall sockets at the airport, BUT I don't understand phone manufacturers' obsession with anorexic smartphones. Looks great on the store shelf, but causes problems (Bendgate, Note 7 firebombs, Apple's slowdowns, etc.).
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
There's a great deal of variance in how "non-replaceable" non-replaceable batteries are. iFixit is useful for evaluating models.
While you didn't mis-quote me, you may have misunderstood me. As far as battery replacement convenience is concerned, the "user" is the key

And I think that regardless of what iFixit says, the percentage of users that will attempt to replace their non-replaceable batteries themselves is vanishingly small.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by KRSW
I still would love if someone would build a phone with a REAL battery in it, at least twice the runtime of this phone, longer would be better. It's not the worst by any means, and I do chuckle when I see all of the iCrapple people huddling around wall sockets at the airport, BUT I don't understand phone manufacturers' obsession with anorexic smartphones. Looks great on the store shelf, but causes problems (Bendgate, Note 7 firebombs, Apple's slowdowns, etc.).
This is one area where the variety of mid-tier (and off-brand flagship) phones give a lot more choices. There are a couple of phones in that segment with relatively huge batteries; avoiding the super-high resolution QHD (or higher) screens also helps with battery life.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wco81
Yes, but re-chargeable external battery-holding cases are what work for some. And replacing those cases is possible.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:08 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
High end skinny phones, here in China see cheap knock offs like Oppo and many others all following the as big a screen and as skinny as possible. Isn't there a saying you can't be to thin, LOL.

Solution is very easy, everyone carries a huge battery pack connected.

I personally would pick a skinny phone with a extra battery pack that I can detached, I currently have a 2500mAh that is enough for me to last a day. Others around seem to be carry 5000 to 10,000mAh, no clue what they are doing with their phones, LOL

As to cheap or expensive, no different than what people choose to buy for clothes, cars, houses, furniture.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Others around seem to be carry 5000 to 10,000mAh, no clue what they are doing with their phones, LOL.
Chasing Pokemon. That game *had* to drive up revenue and profits for Anker.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
The LG V10 and LG V20 are the perfect phones for people who want a removable battery but at the same time on phone that is on par with the latest Galaxy. Unfortunately LG also went with the non-removable battery this year for their V30 so I am stuck without a phone to upgrade to from my V10 this year. Still holding out hope that lg will change their mind and bring back the removable battery for the V40
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by fbcooper
The LG V10 and LG V20 are the perfect phones for people who want a removable battery but at the same time on phone that is on par with the latest Galaxy. Unfortunately LG also went with the non-removable battery this year for their V30 so I am stuck without a phone to upgrade to from my V10 this year. Still holding out hope that lg will change their mind and bring back the removable battery for the V40
That is not going to happen as there are too many will fit but not up to spec and with full protection circuit batteries floating around.
Tha manufacturers need to protect themselves as non-spec batteries, lack of charge monitor/protection circuit and high-speed chargers is a deadly combination.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Given that Moto makes phones with replaceable batteries, why can't LG?

Although come to think of it Moto does not sell replacement batteries for their replaceable battery phones, so perhaps there is some connection there.

Originally Posted by tentseller
That is not going to happen as there are too many will fit but not up to spec and with full protection circuit batteries floating around.
Tha manufacturers need to protect themselves as non-spec batteries, lack of charge monitor/protection circuit and high-speed chargers is a deadly combination.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Given that Moto makes phones with replaceable batteries, why can't LG?

Although come to think of it Moto does not sell replacement batteries for their replaceable battery phones, so perhaps there is some connection there.
Moto is using the old tooling from the Motorola days. Lenovo is keeping them a limited market item until the two are merged.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:23 pm

Does anybody know whether it is possible to buy a new Android phone around the $50 mark and then have it unlocked inexpensively?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Most $50 Android phones off Amazon/ebay are Chinese and typically unlocked.
nkedel likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.