Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Are we All Suckers for Using Expensive Phones When a Cheap $40 Will Work Fine?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are we All Suckers for Using Expensive Phones When a Cheap $40 Will Work Fine?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by PTravel
Why are larger phones obnoxious? I can't read well without reading glasses. A larger phone (I just got a Note 8) lets me send and receive texts, read emails, write notes, check my calendar, and a whole range of other things without having to fumble for glasses.

The Note 8 is, technically, a "phablet," a cross between a phone and a tablet and has the features of both. I certainly don't think it's obnoxious.
I didn't mean that owning one makes the owner obnoxious.

They take up way too much space, barely fit in a pocket and when they do, it doesn't leave space for anything else. It's difficult to use one handed because one key ends up being half a football field away from a key on the otherside of the keyboard. Just a complete mess.

I get why they do it. People want larger screens for media consumption.

Me? I'll use my laptop with a much nicer and larger display for movies and my phone for communicating, thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by kb9522

They take up way too much space, barely fit in a pocket and when they do, it doesn't leave space for anything else.
Those are highly subjective claims. I'm also a Note 8 owner and they're simply a non-issue for me.

It's difficult to use one handed because one key ends up being half a football field away from a key on the otherside of the keyboard. Just a complete mess.
The Note 8 has a "One Handed Mode" for just that reason. With the feature enabled, you swipe up from the lower left or right corner of the screen and get a display/keyboard well-sized for one-handed operation.

Me? I'll use my laptop with a much nicer and larger display for movies and my phone for communicating, thanks.
Ok. You be you
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:00 am

Besides better cameras, one of the biggest differences with flagship phones is performance. They're MUCH faster, with every new model that comes out. All the time waiting for apps to load or web pages to render adds up. Does it add up enough that spending $800-$1000 vs. $40 is worth it? That's up to you to decide for yourself. But it can be very significant.

I'm still on an "old" Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. I kinda want the Note 8 (it's actually not that much bigger than my S6!) but mine still performs well enough that I haven't found the need, yet.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by penner42
Besides better cameras, one of the biggest differences with flagship phones is performance. They're MUCH faster, with every new model that comes out.
This.

And once a new round of phones are out, developers start taking advantage of the latest performance. New apps often don't run as well on older phones.

My own personal sweet spot has settled on "last year's flagship". My current device is a GS7, a bought in fall 2016 when various promos dropped it down into the $300 range.

I went through a phase where I was experimenting with midrange-to-cheap phones. Bought my daughter and mom Moto G4's, and we had nothing but problems with them. They simply couldn't run a variety of different applications, even when they were brand new. Plus the camera performed poorly, which is one of the must-haves on any smartphone. My daughter has decided to go the iPhone route (kids these days... ), but she actually wanted the small phone so we got her a $75 iPhone 5 and she's been happy ever since. When it dies, we'll bump her up to the 6...
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a few of us dont have smartphones

while others push the smartphones to their capability limits

$75 iphone 5?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
$75 iphone 5?
Yes, approximately this:

https://swappa.com/listing/MWL772/view

Had a few minor nicks on the back and corners but a good screen and no functional issues. Bought it about 5 months ago. It is still working well.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:41 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I've been a Nexus/Pixel user.

I just sold my Pixel, and started using a $40 phone for a while (at least until the new Pixel comes out.) I bought this prepaid Verizon E4:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Verizon-M...paid/953073971

No Walmart near me, so I price-matched the $40 price at Target. Once I got the phone, I paid $2 for an unlock code on Ebay, and popped in my T-mobile postpaid SIM.

OK, the camera doesn't hold a candle to a flagship phone. But, it has 16 GB built in memory, space for an SD card, and a battery that pops out. And, the screen is not as good as a flagship, but very nice and readable. Videos are very watachable. There was some Verizon crapware but I disabled those apps in settings and they are no longer visible.

I don't need a case - if I drop it and break the screen, I can get a new phone for $40, less than the deductible for Applecare.

I may well buy another flagship for the camera. But, an Iphone certainly does not have 17.5 times the functionality of this phone, but it does cost 17.5 times as much for the base model.
What kind of car do you drive

ONe can make that argument about car, house/neighborhood, flying economy or business, Motel 6 or St Regis etc. etc.

For the record I have two iPhones a 7Plus and a 6Plus and will likely upgrade my family to iPhoneX but my last four car purchases have been 3 years + used and I shoot a D5/D810 ( oh, both bought used too )
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They take up way too much space, barely fit in a pocket and when they do, it doesn't leave space for anything else.
Well, all I can say is it fits in my pockets just fine.

It's difficult to use one handed because one key ends up being half a football field away from a key on the otherside of the keyboard. Just a complete mess.
Well, not my experience.

That's not why I want it. I never watch media on my phone, and I don't play games. I do read long email messages, review documents and, also, prefer not to have to pull out reading glasses every time I want to make a phone call.

[/quote]Me? I'll use my laptop with a much nicer and larger display for movies and my phone for communicating, thanks.[/QUOTE]My Note 8 makes a very serviceable computer with the Dex doc, a USB monitor, and a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
The real problem is the obnoxious trend of increasingly large devices. Life was better when smaller phones were more desirable.
There still aren't many 6" plus phones, and the one 6"+ mainstream Samsung is longer rather than sticking to standard proportions (and I always found 16:10 more useful than 16:9.)

Why are larger phones obnoxious? I can't read well without reading glasses. A larger phone (I just got a Note 8) lets me send and receive texts, read emails, write notes, check my calendar, and a whole range of other things without having to fumble for glasses.

The Note 8 is, technically, a "phablet," a cross between a phone and a tablet and has the features of both. I certainly don't think it's obnoxious.
I think the term "phablet" peaked a couple of years ago. Although pushing to 6.3" may just be big enough to still qualify... I hope some other manufacturers decide to follow past the 6" size that seems to be the limit elsewhere.

I'm lucky enough not to have vision problems with smaller (ish) phones although having had 2.8" and 3.5" screens far enough back I'm glad that's inconceivably small now... I can't thumb type on smaller phones and even the difference between 5.7" to 5.9" is enough to help with my lack of dexterity.

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Because they don't fit in my pocket.
[...]
Much of the time I don't carry a bag/purse/briefcase, so having a phone that will fit in my left front pocket is crucial.
Just depends on your pants. With loose casual slacks (khakhis or similar), I can get an 8" tablet in my pocket on most of my pants and still sometimes do for reading comics... or have my 6" phone in the same pocket as my wallet, and wearing casual button-up shirts, half the time my 6" phone fits in my pocket albeit with the top sticking out.

Originally Posted by estnet
Verizon and tmo use different technology - so your phone works on both cdma AND gsm?
A lot of phones do. It's still not exactly common, but it's far from rare.

For that matter, LTE is the same on both, just different bands. Having bands for all of them is probably less common than having CDMA + GSM/HSPA for the 3G/2G fallback, and there are still a decent number of phone with enough bands to be usable.

I've had exactly the opposite experience. I've been using PCs since 1982. I don't want to get into the whole Mac vs. PC thing, so I'll just say that the few times I've had to work with Macs, I found them extremely frustrating because the kinds of things that I routinely do on PC couldn't be done on Mac because the OS hid so many functions from the user.
Having used both PCs and Macs from the mid-1980s throug the mid-1990s before giving up on Mac, I find the present way the Mac GUI works pretty much intolerable and incomprehensible.

For that matter, having had to go back to Windows 3.x briefly for something recently (converting some really old documents in multiple steps) I realized just how little modern Windows has in common with the pre-Win95 GUI.

They take up way too much space, barely fit in a pocket and when they do, it doesn't leave space for anything else. It's difficult to use one handed because one key ends up being half a football field away from a key on the otherside of the keyboard. Just a complete mess.
I don't have the thumb dexterity to try to use a phone one handed. For typing, I use two thumbs. For other stuff, hold with one hand, tap/drag with the index finger from the other works well. A bigger phone works much better for me for that.

And, as I said, it just depends on your pockets. Too big would be too big to hold one handed to read, which my 8" tablet kind of was but was just manageable, and too wide to read as a single column of text which my 8" tablet wasn't. So I'd totally just take one of those (especially a newer/lighter one than my now rather dated Tab3 8") with a proper phone/LTE modem in it... compared to that, my 6" phone is quite small.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I've used some cheap phones before. You definitely get what you pay for. They're good for basic things, but they're overall pretty much crap.

The bigger "suckers" would be upgrading to the newest flagship every year.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by nkedel
There still aren't many 6" plus phones, and the one 6"+ mainstream Samsung is longer rather than sticking to standard proportions
Geez... and I thought a 5" screen was large.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Because of the declining size of bezels, old 5" screen phones can easily be as big as 5.5" phones today, and the 6" phones I've owned (Nexus 6 and Huawei Mate 9 -- actually 5.9" but close enough) are both not effectively larger in footprint than Apple's first big screen phone (6 Plus, 5.5")

It looks like the 8 Plus is still rather porky relative to its screen size:
Huawei Mate 9 (5.9" 16:9 1920x1080) : 156.9 x 78.9 x 7.9 mm (6.18 x 3.11 x 0.31 in)
iPhone 8 Plus (5.5" 16:9 1920x1080) : 6.24 inches (158.4 mm) x 3.07 inches (78.1 mm) x 0.30 inch (7.5 mm)
Galaxy S8+ (6.2" 18.5:9 2960x1440) 159.5 x 73.4 x 8.1 mm (6.28 x 2.89 x 0.32 in)

The running trend with the newest phones is narrower and longer (2:1 or even 21:9, vs. the older 16:9 or even 16:10 or 4:3 on old enough phones... at the same time many Android tables have gone back to the 4:3 which iPad never left)... which isn't super for me but seems popular with a lot of people.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:03 am

I'm still in the small(er) screen camp, but I have to admit the Note 8 is a pretty glorious-looking device. I've never actually owned a phone that size so I'm not sure how I'd like it on a day-in-day-out basis. It does look a bit bulky for pockets...that'd be my main hesitation.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
My Note 8 makes a very serviceable computer with the Dex doc, a USB monitor, and a bluetooth mouse and keyboard.
The DeX Station is a great piece of engineering. It does need some refinement still, and I hope they keep improving on the experience.

The Note 8 is an incredible device. Samsung seems to have finally worked out its UI lag with a combination of software tweaks and brute force (6 GB RAM). I have read that there are still frame drops in the UI, but I can't see them for whatever that's worth. I don't know if that's because I have imperfect vision of if using Nova Prime eliminates any of the frame drops.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
The DeX Station is a great piece of engineering. It does need some refinement still, and I hope they keep improving on the experience.
I agree on all points. Dex is infinitely better than Atrix, Motorola's attempt at the same thing a number of years ago.

The biggest improvement is the ability to run apps full-screen. Samsung's Galaxy store has a [small] number of Dex-compatible apps, but the biggest news is that the Dex software can run most Nougat-compatible apps in full-screen, even if they don't take advantage of the Dex APIs.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the availability of VPN (built into the Note 8, as it is with most contemporary Android phones), and VNC apps that will run full-screen under Dex, means I can easily access my remote computers and, if necessary, run my Windows apps from my Note 8. The availability of an Android Display Link driver means that I'm not tied to a bulky HDMI-equipped monitor, but can use my very light and portable Asus 15" USB monitor at 1920 x 1080.

The Note 8 is an incredible device. Samsung seems to have finally worked out its UI lag with a combination of software tweaks and brute force (6 GB RAM). I have read that there are still frame drops in the UI, but I can't see them for whatever that's worth. I don't know if that's because I have imperfect vision of if using Nova Prime eliminates any of the frame drops.
I haven't used the Note 8 for media, but I've noticed that it is much faster and more responsive than the Note 3 that it replaced. If I get some time, I'll try running some videos on my Dex setup and report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.