Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iP8 + iWatch 3

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Although I am flying to Berlin later today, I was up for the 2 am (CST) pre-order marathon.

I had the Apple Store open on my iP7, Safarai Apple Store on my iPad Pro2, plus my pc had both the Apple Store and AT&T web open on Edge tabs.

The first one ready to order was Safari on my iPad at 2:12 am. However, during the order process Apple reported a problem connecting to my carrier (e.g. AT&T).

I finished the online Apple order then went to AT&T web. That went very smoothly and AT&T claims their order will arrive on November 3. Apple says I have a phone "reserved" that should ship in 2-3 weeks.

I wanted to do this with Apple to bundle Apple Care in the monthly installments and to do a tax-exempt letter. AT&T will not honor a tax-exempt letter for my phone.

I have to decide which one to cancel within 24 hours which means while I am flying. If I go with AT&T at least they will make it easier to get a little credit for my wife's iP6S (128 GB).

Anyone see a factor to influence my decision that I have missed? Both phones are space black 256.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:32 pm

I've been thinking, should I buy the X, keep in the packaging and sell it in 10+ years as a collectors item? The original iPhone brand new in packaging is going for US$25,000 +!!
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by maortega15
I've been thinking, should I buy the X, keep in the packaging and sell it in 10+ years as a collectors item? The original iPhone brand new in packaging is going for US$25,000 +!!
No... The X is just another smartphone, nothing special about it. In 10 years time it will be worth next to nothing.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Make what you wish of this supposed FaceID gaming:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/security-...220300931.html
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by maortega15
Wow! I am going to order one towards when they are about to announce iPhone Xs. and keep it in its original packaging. Agreed. Definitely collectible.

My mates have got the old Macintoshes and showcases it at his home. there are serious apple loyalist out there.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I went ahead and got the watch without the cellular. One of my main reasons was that it's waterproof. Battery life seems a bit better as well. I got it in store and they set it up for me and switched my old band, which I liked, to the new watch.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Anyone with an iPX have problems with facial recognition?

I have very few issues during the day even with sunglasses, but Face ID does not work well first thing in the morning for me, I consistently have problems for perhaps the first 15 and at times perhaps up to 30 minutes most mornings getting Face ID to unlock the iPX.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
You have to open your eyes don't you?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
Originally Posted by Xeno
Anyone with an iPX have problems with facial recognition?

I have very few issues during the day even with sunglasses, but Face ID does not work well first thing in the morning for me, I consistently have problems for perhaps the first 15 and at times perhaps up to 30 minutes most mornings getting Face ID to unlock the iPX.
Nope, Have had a issue with Face ID my iPhone X since November 3rd. It has worked most of the time, only once or twice did it not work so far.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Yes my eyes were open - or I would not know how the iPX responded - but yet again this morning I had to enter my passcode. Glad it works most of the time for others.

I think my biggest mistake early in the morning is often not keeping the iPX at a proper distance but there remain not a few times when I held it at the normal cradle position in my hand and Face ID still failed.

I have already done more than one Face ID scan because at first the iPX had issues with whether I was wearing contacts or not.

Last edited by Xeno; Nov 19, 2017 at 5:44 am
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I went ahead and got the watch without the cellular. One of my main reasons was that it's waterproof. Battery life seems a bit better as well. I got it in store and they set it up for me and switched my old band, which I liked, to the new watch.
I was hoping to wait until Series 4 comes out thinking that LTE would be less of a compromise by then but my first-get Watch has been burning through battery extremely fast lately. (I'm not sure how much of this is a function of the watch's age and how much is due to using a watchOS beta.) How much of a difference is there between the two models? I thought that they'd be the same as long as you don't put the watch on your cell plan.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
:
Originally Posted by tmiw
I was hoping to wait until Series 4 comes out thinking that LTE would be less of a compromise by then but my first-get Watch has been burning through battery extremely fast lately. (I'm not sure how much of this is a function of the watch's age and how much is due to using a watchOS beta.) How much of a difference is there between the two models? I thought that they'd be the same as long as you don't put the watch on your cell plan.

My new watch isn’t LTE but the more I wear it the more noticeable the longer battery life is. I haven’t timed it but it may be like 30% more. It’s quite noticeable. I have to say though I don’t know how much is a better battery vs a new battery with the new watch.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
My new watch isn’t LTE but the more I wear it the more noticeable the longer battery life is. I haven’t timed it but it may be like 30% more. It’s quite noticeable. I have to say though I don’t know how much is a better battery vs a new battery with the new watch.
I had the original “Series 0” for about a year and a half and now have had the Series 2 for about 9 months. There was a significant improvement in battery life—and everything else—with the Series 2.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Xeno
Yes my eyes were open - or I would not know how the iPX responded - but yet again this morning I had to enter my passcode. Glad it works most of the time for others.

I think my biggest mistake early in the morning is often not keeping the iPX at a proper distance but there remain not a few times when I held it at the normal cradle position in my hand and Face ID still failed.

I have already done more than one Face ID scan because at first the iPX had issues with whether I was wearing contacts or not.
FaceID fails in various ways: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/11/...-iphone-x.html

I wouldn’t be surprised if it fails also in a way akin to what has happened at automated passport control machines using facial biometrics.
Xeno likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
They better vastly improve version 2 or make sure TouchID works on all of the models next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.