Wiki Posts
Search

iP8 + iWatch 3

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Need
Did they say anything about identical twins on face ID?
Under an image from Star Trek's Mirror, Mirror episode, he suggested that if you had an evil twin you should probably use a passcode as an alternative.

And yes, Face ID didn't work the first time, so he mumbled something about "a backup" and moved on quickly. It seemed to work the next few times he used it.

Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Does anyone think the iP X will actually be available to order on Oct 27? The wait is going to be a challenge for me.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Xeno
Yesterday the first live demo of face ID failed so he used passcode. Do I remember this right?
It prompted for passcode. I'm not sure whether it was due to too many failed attempts, or whether it was the message when you first restart the phone. Currently both cases require the passcode before touchID is enabled.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:17 am

Looks like me and my mum are just going to sit this one out. We just use our phones for iMessage, calls and photos. And GPS for me.

Will the 6 be able to handle iOS 11 or there will be a significant slowdown?

And I've been thinking, should I buy the X, keep in the packaging and sell it in 10+ years as a collectors item? The original iPhone brand new in packaging is going for US$25,000 +!!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apple's new iPhone has face recognition fail

The screen says "your passcode is required to enable Face ID" so it does appear to be the equivalent of a restart on the current phones. I'm somewhat shocked they made that mistake.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maortega15
Will the 6 be able to handle iOS 11 or there will be a significant slowdown?
iOS 11 is officially supported back to the 5s. Whether it causes a big slowdown is the TBD. The A11 is about 3x the performance of the 6's A8. I wouldn't count on multi-user AR games on the 6, but impact on browsing, texting, phone, FB, Tw, SC, etc, may not be affected. I sure hope not - the kids won't be getting new ones....
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I'm reserving judgement on FaceID until I see it used in the real world. I suspect that it might not be as annoying as people think, at least for the Apple Pay case. A lot of people already use their phones while waiting for their stuff to be scanned at checkout; presumably you'd still be looking at the phone at the "correct" angle (which may be a wider range than what's been demoed anyway) by the time you double-tap the power button.

In any event, $1000 is a pretty hard sell for me. If I were to get it it'd likely be on an installment plan, which I don't normally do with phones (and interferes with e.g. unlocking until you pay the whole thing off).
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I think the prices are higher, including the lowest priced iPhone 8 starting at $699 and the iPhone 8 Plus at $799 because of higher NAND prices.

Apple also raised the prices of some iPad Pro configurations by $50.

Apparently a lot of global demand for NAND as more SSDs are being sold too. Nintendo blamed the supply shortages of the Switch on NAND shortage from Apple hogging the market a few months back.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stimpy
I live in Europe and over here the iPhone X costs €1159 which is about $389 more than if I buy in the US, not counting sales tax. So I guess it would only make sense to buy this phone on my next trip to the US. I assume I can buy one unlocked at any Apple Store, right?

Then I have to figure out which Apple Store has the lowest local sales tax.
Delaware and New Hampshire are our friends in sales tax. Oregon and Montana may be options too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 13, 2017 at 10:58 am
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I see at https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/ that the X and the 8 as well are a good bit heavier than my iPhone SE which is 113 grams. I guess with the newer processor they have to add more battery weight.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I see at https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/ that the X and the 8 as well are a good bit heavier than my iPhone SE which is 113 grams. I guess with the newer processor they have to add more battery weight.
Also the iPhone SE is simply a tiny phone.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:23 am
Suspended

What's the supposed battery life of the X when fully charged?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What's the supposed battery life of the X when fully charged?
In the fine print....

All battery claims depend on network configuration and many other factors; actual results will vary. Battery has limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by Apple service provider. Battery life and charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/batteries and www.apple.com/iphone/battery.html for more information.

And yes the SE is smaller, or rather the exact same size as an iPhone 5S. But I still think the main reason for the extra weight is extra battery.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:34 am
Suspended

In the fine print....

All battery claims depend on network configuration and many other factors; actual results will vary. Battery has limited recharge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced by Apple service provider. Battery life and charge cycles vary by use and settings. See www.apple.com/batteries and www.apple.com/iphone/battery.html for more information.

And yes the SE is smaller, or rather the exact same size as an iPhone 5S. But I still think the main reason for the extra weight is extra battery.
I'm going to wait on getting a new iPhone until I get a fair amount of battery like usage reports from retail consumers with these new models in hand. I guess that means I'll wait until close to mid-November before deciding what to do as I'm pretty sure I can get whatever I want at that point.

All of my previous iPhones are still in great cosmetic condition and work decently (even as the lifecycle of the built-in batteries and app stagnation have had their impact) despite their age.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
So will No Shave November and deciding on a hipster beard at some point render Face ID useless? Seriously...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.