Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:18 pm

Help please!

I need a NC headphone that's more or less similar to the OP's requirements:
- over the ear
- comfortable to wear for 12+ hour flights
- not heavier than QC25
- folds as compactly as QC 25 and does not take up any more space than QC25
- works wired (can be BT + wired also)
- continues to transmit audio even after battery dies.

I've bought QC25 twice, had to return both times. First one had one earpiece stop working intermittently. Second one produced staticky background noise that was unbearably annoying after a while. I don't know what the deal is with QC25... that's 0 for 2. Maybe Bose doesn't do quality checks on their older product line. But QC25 felt comfortable. I don't really need elite sound quality. I just would like something that's as comfortable, light and portable as QC25.

I've read just about the entire thread. It's kind of hard because everyone's saying different things and everyone's got his/her own favorite.
What would you recommend? QC35? Or give QC25 a third try? Or WH1000XM3?
The cheaper the better, but I'm definitely not willing to spend more than $350.

addendum:
I just looked u p weight of different models.
QC25 0.43lb
QC35 0.52lb
Sony WH-CH700N 0.53lb
Sony WH1000XM3 1.73lb !!
Plus the Sony's dimensions are considerably bigger. Also worried about the weight difference btwn even just QC25 and QC35. Wonder if that would be noticeable?
satman40 likes this.

Last edited by evergrn; Feb 5, 2019 at 9:38 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:52 pm

Sony WH1000XM3 headset weighs 9 oz/0.56 lb. I just weighed it on my postal scale. The fabric hard zippered case is 5.2 oz but I suspect the Bose case also weighs a good bit as it is similar construction. The Sony microphone is not great according to others so Bose would be a better choice if you need to use it for calls.

Are you still in Japan? I picked mine up at Yodobashi Akiba, JP version with a Visa discount & tax free. They also have the export version with an international warranty. Bic Camera's CC discount might be a bit higher. Visit e-earphone shop in Akihabara to try out headphones with your own phone/Bluetooth device and test out the fit as that can be very personal. They also offer tax free. It is a really fun store for headphone addicts and there's also a shop around the corner for custom IEMs.

Last edited by freecia; Feb 5, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Sony's are about the same weight as the Bose.

They're definitely a good pair to grab as they have USB-C charging and sound pretty damned good.

I also travel with a small pair of in-ears to use on my computer for calls and the Samsung Gear Icon X 2018 for when I am moving around and don't want the bulky and hot XM3s on my head.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by brp1264
Sony's are about the same weight as the Bose.
Originally Posted by freecia
Sony WH1000XM3 headset weighs 9 oz/0.56 lb. I just weighed it on my postal scale. The fabric hard zippered case is 5.2 oz but I suspect the Bose case also weighs a good bit as it is similar construction. The Sony microphone is not great according to others so Bose would be a better choice if you need to use it for calls.
So I guess Amazon's weight info is not correct. Any weight difference between Bose Q25/35 and Sony XM3 is unnoticeable then?
@freecia: Can you do me a huge favor and measure the dimension of your WH1000XM3 case? The QC25 case measures 8.25" x 5.5" x 2.25". I really wouldn't want something that takes up more space than that.

Can anybody provide dimension for QC35 case, for that matter?

Also, you can still listen sans NC via Sony after the battery dies, correct?

I also travel with a small pair of in-ears to use on my computer for calls and the Samsung Gear Icon X 2018 for when I am moving around and don't want the bulky and hot XM3s on my head.
I tried QC20 in-ear and my ears can't tolerate it beyond 2-3 hours. I think I could handle QC25 (over-ear) almost forever.

Originally Posted by freecia
Are you still in Japan? I picked mine up at Yodobashi Akiba, JP version with a Visa discount & tax free. They also have the export version with an international warranty. Bic Camera's CC discount might be a bit higher. Visit e-earphone shop in Akihabara to try out headphones with your own phone/Bluetooth device and test out the fit as that can be very personal. They also offer tax free. It is a really fun store for headphone addicts and there's also a shop around the corner for custom IEMs.
No I'm not in Jpn anymore. Getting a Sony in Jpn tax-free is a great idea, though. The Jpn version works fine with everything in US? I'll be back in Jpn later this month, but unfortunately not going to Tokyo this time. Going to Sapporo instead, but I actually really need something before the trip (16 hrs of flying to get to CTS via TPE).
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Another big fan of the Sony WH-1000XM3. My first pair of NC headphones, so no "baseline" to compare to, but OMG do these things work! NC ability just blows my mind. Some seem not to like the touch gestures, but I think it's excellent. Simple gestures, quick & easy. The momentary NC-off gesture is just placing a few fingers or palm of your hand against the touchpad, works great. I'm a video pro, and find them fantastic for editing at home.. I can sit on the sofa with my wife while she watches TV, and I'll be editing on my laptop, BT connected, NC on, and I don't hear her show at all. Out on shoots, the NC is excellent for monitoring audio and being able to know whether transient sounds are making into the recording or not.

ONLY downside for me is that they do indeed get quite warm on the ears. I suspect the non-breathable earpad material was chosen for it's sound baffling qualities, which also happens to make 'em warm on the head. But a few minutes off after a 2 hr movie is fine to make me comfy again.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I saw someone wearing the B&Ws on TV the other day.

Thing interesting about them is that they're oval in shape, so maybe more comfortable?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by evergrn
Can you do me a huge favor and measure the dimension of your WH1000XM3 case? The QC25 case measures 8.25" x 5.5" x 2.25". I really wouldn't want something that takes up more space than that.
I measure the case as 8.25x6.75x2.0 "

I'm experimenting with just using a black leatherette drawstring pouch for them now in my already padded laptop bag to save space.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:54 pm

I measure the case as 8.25x6.75x2.0 "
Thanks a lot! I appreciate the info! So that's ~10% larger in volume than the QC25 case... ughh.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
I ditched the case to save space on my QC35s
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:57 pm

i have found the most versatile headphones MPOW H5 Noise Cancelling Headphones with ANC, Bluetooth and built in battery with an easy to charge port.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Cancelling-Headphones-Bluetooth-Noise-Cancelling/dp/B076H63ZK7

It has excellent sound and I only pad $50 and its lasted me so far since last May. The build quality is super and with the ANC off(works even if the battery dies) it sounds very good. The cable can be replaced(I had the cable that came with the headphones break) and I replaced it with one for $5 and MPOW sent me a $5 Amazon Gift Card to cover it. I really enjoy listening to all types of music on my headphones and they are very comfortable. Wore it for a 9 hour flight and was not in pain and had no headaches. If they break which I hope they won't I don't mind paying $50 vs Bose at $300. These headphones were rated up there with Beats and other premium headphones. You are not paying for the brand name like Bose you are paying for quality.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by danielonn
i have found the most versatile headphones MPOW H5 Noise Cancelling Headphones with ANC, Bluetooth and built in battery with an easy to charge port.

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Cancelli.../dp/B076H63ZK7

It has excellent sound and I only pad $50 and its lasted me so far since last May. The build quality is super and with the ANC off(works even if the battery dies) it sounds very good. The cable can be replaced(I had the cable that came with the headphones break) and I replaced it with one for $5 and MPOW sent me a $5 Amazon Gift Card to cover it. I really enjoy listening to all types of music on my headphones and they are very comfortable. Wore it for a 9 hour flight and was not in pain and had no headaches. If they break which I hope they won't I don't mind paying $50 vs Bose at $300. These headphones were rated up there with Beats and other premium headphones. You are not paying for the brand name like Bose you are paying for quality.
A few of the reviews by individuals that had the opportunity to compare these to the Bose QC35s for sound quality and noise-cancelling ability were not particularly positive. Have you directly compared them to any of the Bose headphones? I have QC25s and a BTunes Bluetooth adapter currently and am quite satisfied, but I'm going to have to replace those at some point.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
A few of the reviews by individuals that had the opportunity to compare these to the Bose QC35s for sound quality and noise-cancelling ability were not particularly positive. Have you directly compared them to any of the Bose headphones? I have QC25s and a BTunes Bluetooth adapter currently and am quite satisfied, but I'm going to have to replace those at some point.
Same situation for me - still have my QC25 (with free Android cable from Bose when I asked b/c I bought before it was available) and the original BTunes from when that guy was on FT looking for testers. Still working for me, although it's definitely uglier than the newer version. At some point, will need to replace the setup, but still works well enough. I do need to replace my ear cups soon with the $12-15 Chinese Amazon generics, as they're getting ragged.

I feel that, in most cases with ANC bluetooth headphones, there is still quite a bit of "you get what you pay for." Not saying that the most expensive ones are really 50-100% better than cheaper options, but you can tell the difference between $50 Chinese generics and the higher end Sony/Bose, even A-T. I tried my friend's Sony 1000 whatevers and they were really nice. Better than my QC25+BTunes, imo.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Last nights' LAX-ATL F cabin had a bumper crop of about 5 pairs of Sony 1000's in sight.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I tried my friend's Sony 1000 whatevers and they were really nice. Better than my QC25+BTunes, imo.
I replaced my QC-25s + BlueTooth Adapter with Sony WH-1000XM3 (the USB-C version) and so far have been very happy. The are comfortable to wear and I like the sound -- and once I got used to it -- the touch controls. They take up a bit more space, but not much that I mind.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:37 pm

I have the Sony WH-1000XM3 currently but thought the ANC on airplanes wasn't as good as the Bose QC35's.
So I stumbled upon these 2 noise isolation/attenuation graphs (I also saw a review on Youtube mentioning something similar as well).

It is my understanding that the frequency range of the "sound" while flying is somewhere below the 100Hz (what range approximately?).
Can anyone confirm these graphs are accurate?
Is the ANC on the Bose QC II really better on airplanes?
Does anyone have such a graph for the Microsoft Surface Headphones or the new Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H9 3rd Gen Headphones?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.