Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Dave510
When you get the WH1000XM3 you'll be very pleasantly surprised (I was). As of right now, it has absolutely no competition on the market, and the reviews back up that claim all across the board.

It only came out this month and it's already making quite the splash. Bose is going to need to come up with something much better, quick.
My trusty bose qc20i is on its last legs... looking at the WH1000xM3 and the QC35ii. Have you had experience with the bose headphones to compare? Most reviewers who "compare" that I've found on the internet, don't actually have experience with both and are just parroting what they've read.

Also how comfy is the WH1000xM3? Could you see wearing it for a 15.5 hour flight for example?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Problem with over the ear headphones is if you roll over on your side.

First world problems since you'd only roll over on a lie flat bed.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
As of right now, it has absolutely no competition on the market,
Right because connecting to one device only at time is superior.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by LordHamster
My trusty bose qc20i is on its last legs... looking at the WH1000xM3 and the QC35ii. Have you had experience with the bose headphones to compare? Most reviewers who "compare" that I've found on the internet, don't actually have experience with both and are just parroting what they've read.

Also how comfy is the WH1000xM3? Could you see wearing it for a 15.5 hour flight for example?
I could never wear the Bose QCs for more than 10 minutes, since it gives me the "pressure" sensation. From my brief experience listening to them (in a relatively quiet store), I prefer Sony's sound signature.

For my relatively large head, the WH1000XM3 is very comfortable. I've spent an entire day listening to music in them last weekend, so I can wear it through a 15 hour long haul. It does get a little warm over time though.

Originally Posted by Marschel
Right because connecting to one device only at time is superior.
Switching devices with the headphone isn't too difficult, so it's a non-issue for me. It might be a deal breaker for some people, but probably not a high priority feature for most people.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:34 pm

I could never wear the Bose QCs for more than 10 minutes, since it gives me the "pressure" sensation. From my brief experience listening to them (in a relatively quiet store), I prefer Sony's sound signature.

For my relatively large head, the WH1000XM3 is very comfortable. I've spent an entire day listening to music in them last weekend, so I can wear it through a 15 hour long haul. It does get a little warm over time though.

Switching devices with the headphone isn't too difficult, so it's a non-issue for me. It might be a deal breaker for some people, but probably not a high priority feature for most people.
The warm ears thing worries me.... I have a "gaming" headset in my office that I can't stand wearing for more than 30 min.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I have the AirMod bluetooth adapter ($60 on Amazon) that was specifically made for the QC-25s and is hardly noticeable when connected. I used it for nearly two years and had no problems except it has proprietary charging cable -- USB A on one end, 3.5mm socket on the other. Managed to lose/forget it a couple of times, which was a pain. I understand why they did it that way but still hate single use cables
They didn't have to do it that way, though. The BTunes version uses a standard micro-USB cable to charge, and can be charged while in use. It also has multi-point pairing. Same price as the AirMod on Amazon, too.
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by wco81
Problem with over the ear headphones is if you roll over on your side.

First world problems since you'd only roll over on a lie flat bed.
That's been my biggest issue. Been thinking about going to an in-the-ear solution,
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
They didn't have to do it that way, though. The BTunes version uses a standard micro-USB cable to charge, and can be charged while in use. It also has multi-point pairing. Same price as the AirMod on Amazon, too.
I would have bought that one but I didn't see at the time (is it new? or new to Amazon?) I've had the AirMod for a while...
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:06 pm

I would have bought that one but I didn't see at the time (is it new? or new to Amazon?) I've had the AirMod for a while...
It's been available on Amazon since December 1st of 2017, so less than a year.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
It's been available on Amazon since December 1st of 2017, so less than a year.
I've had my AirMod a lot longer than that -- but I got good use out of it so I'm not unhappy.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Bose QC35II available for $249 at Guitar Center. Selling out quick

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Bose/Qu...D=404255&CJSID
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by EmptyKim

Argh. Missed it.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I've had my AirMod a lot longer than that -- but I got good use out of it so I'm not unhappy.
*random bit of history*
That version of the BTunes is v2. The original BTunes hit the market in late 2015 and the makers had a pilot/test program running on FT. I was one of the lucky few who got in on it at that time. After the BTunes was officially for sale, the Airmod hit the market with a cleaner design. BTunes 2.0 copied that design aesthetic with some improvements (according to the reviews I read).

I still use my BTunes 1.0 although it is a bit unsightly. Still works well enough, though, for me to not be THAT tempted to upgrade to the 2.0 model.
BTunes test drive program for owners of Bose Quiet Comfort 25 Headphones
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by EmptyKim

Maybe a sign that they're about to introduce new model.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: *G
I had a fairly lengthy write-up on the Sony XM3. Which got nuked by my browser/computer.
For sake of brevity I'll condense it as below:

* Feels a bit delicate and lithe in build
* Comfortable and secure for wearing and movement
* Generally good sound signature
* Top notch ANC capabilities
* App/software is a bit much and is subtraction-by-addition
* Touch and button interface is merely okay. Physical dials is better - see: new MS Surface headphones
* Microphone for voice calls is atrocious

I'm satisfied, but it's far from perfect. And at 380 EUR is a bit of a stretch, considering this market is only going to get more crowded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.