Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I'm confused...I don't think either the iPhone X or iPhone 7 have a headphone jack, although both have lightning ports and both, I believe, come with a lightning to 3.5 mm adapter (can also buy separately).
Likely that the OP was referring to iPhone 6 or 6s, which was the last model generation with headphone jack. To your point, beginning with the iPhone 7, Apple did away with headphone jacks.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
After having read several threads, including this one of course, involving which are the "best" headphones, I have made my decision.

I was great with my Bose noise cancelling headphones until... the first flight after I bought iPhoneX I realized Apple chose to not give me a place to plug my headphones in. Oh crap, why didn't I pay attention to that.

Conveniently for me, DH told me today he wanted some new headphones, his seem to have walked out of the house sometime. He has iPhone 7, my Bose will work great for him. Fantastic!
I realize that for new iPhoneX owners there might be an "Oh crap, I forgot" moment, but the darn things come with an adapter. The XS didn't come with an adapter and I got one for $9 direct from apple.

when you are talking about paying at least $1000 for a phone and $300-$400 for the headphones, buying a $9 dongle to just leave plugged into each pair of headphones becomes a no-brainier.

That said, once my trusty QC20i dies, I'll probably look for a completely wireless alternative... at which point getting a bluetooth adapter thingie for the plane's audio for IFE becomes a bigger deal.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
I went from the Bose QC25 wired headphone so the Bose QC 35 II headphones recently. I really like the QC 35's, great audio whether it's Bluetooth, or wired audio. I didn't want to pay full retail so I shopped around on local for sale forums until I found a pair new in box for much less than retail price, just make sure you install the official Bose app on your phone, so that you can pair before completing your purchase.

Patrick
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I'm confused...I don't think either the iPhone X or iPhone 7 have a headphone jack, although both have lightning ports and both, I believe, come with a lightning to 3.5 mm adapter (can also buy separately).
You are correct, I just had him take his case off and look. He said it was okay he actually wanted the headphones for his iPad.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Likely that the OP was referring to iPhone 6 or 6s, which was the last model generation with headphone jack. To your point, beginning with the iPhone 7, Apple did away with headphone jacks.
I went from iPhone 6 to iPhone X, so I had no idea, I thought it was a change when X came out.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
So today I received the Bower & Wilkins PX headphones. I had them on 5 minutes and they went back in the box for return. They were too heavy, or something just made them really uncomfortable.

Then I ordered the Bose QuietComfort 35i I wouldn't use Alexa.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
So today I received the Bower & Wilkins PX headphones. I had them on 5 minutes and they went back in the box for return. They were too heavy, or something just made them really uncomfortable.

Then I ordered the Bose QuietComfort 35i I wouldn't use Alexa.
When I had the Bose QC 35 ll headphones I tried them out on 4 flights in a 5 day period before deciding to return them as I wasn’t totally pleased with the overall sound quality even though the NC was great.

The Bowers & Wilkins PX headphones initially felt a little tight on my head the first time I put them on which may be what you describe as being uncomfortable but after several hours of wearing them they flexed a little and the tight feeling became a non issue for me. The true test for me will be in 2 weeks when I use them on 2 flights.

By the way I understand that the comfort factor in headphones is very personal and subjective but I really wish that you gave them a longer trial as the sound from the PX was definitely superior to the Bose. IMO that review you linked in your earlier post from what-hifi was accurate, the PX has superior sound!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by TIGA31328
I went from the Bose QC25 wired headphone so the Bose QC 35 II headphones recently. I really like the QC 35's, great audio whether it's Bluetooth, or wired audio. I didn't want to pay full retail so I shopped around on local for sale forums until I found a pair new in box for much less than retail price, just make sure you install the official Bose app on your phone, so that you can pair before completing your purchase.
The QC25 are very expensive, but great. The problem with the QC35 is that not all types of aircraft are yet certified to bluetooth use. I was recently on an Air Canada flight where the use of bluetooth headsets was expressively forbidden.

I would stick with the QC25.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by sokolov
The QC25 are very expensive, but great. The problem with the QC35 is that not all types of aircraft are yet certified to bluetooth use. I was recently on an Air Canada flight where the use of bluetooth headsets was expressively forbidden.

I would stick with the QC25.
That’s not really a problem. Most Bluetooth headphones come a cable and a 2 prong plug as backup. Not to mention aircrafts that are not certified for Bluetooth are already rare and will only get rarer going forward.
LordHamster and brp1264 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: *G
It took long enough, but I am finally a convert. Almost.

I'd been an ardent proponent of in-ear passive headphones. Superior noise suppression than battery-powered active units in a miniature package with better sound fidelity.
But since I've long dropped carrying standalone iPod in favor of playing music through phones, that last argument has lost its legs. And wireless headphones offsets the inconvenience of wired in-ear units.

The other point being that older noise cancelling headphones weren't effective at all. Until I tried the Sony WH1000XM2 in the stores today. It's almost black magic what they did - the low-frequency cancellation is a given, but the job it did taking down normal human conversation to a whisper is amazing. Tried it against the Bose units and that's where the biggest differences stood.

The WH1000XM3 is supposed to be even improved on it. My unit is still in transit somewhere, but if audio playback is balanced and decent then I'll drink the whole jug of koolaid
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by deniah
It took long enough, but I am finally a convert. Almost.

I'd been an ardent proponent of in-ear passive headphones. Superior noise suppression than battery-powered active units in a miniature package with better sound fidelity.
But since I've long dropped carrying standalone iPod in favor of playing music through phones, that last argument has lost its legs. And wireless headphones offsets the inconvenience of wired in-ear units.

The other point being that older noise cancelling headphones weren't effective at all. Until I tried the Sony WH1000XM2 in the stores today. It's almost black magic what they did - the low-frequency cancellation is a given, but the job it did taking down normal human conversation to a whisper is amazing. Tried it against the Bose units and that's where the biggest differences stood.

The WH1000XM3 is supposed to be even improved on it. My unit is still in transit somewhere, but if audio playback is balanced and decent then I'll drink the whole jug of koolaid
When you get the WH1000XM3 you'll be very pleasantly surprised (I was). As of right now, it has absolutely no competition on the market, and the reviews back up that claim all across the board.

It only came out this month and it's already making quite the splash. Bose is going to need to come up with something much better, quick.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:27 am

Still on the QC1 - how much have things improved?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp

When I had the Bose QC 35 ll headphones I tried them out on 4 flights in a 5 day period before deciding to return them as I wasn’t totally pleased with the overall sound quality even though the NC was great.

The Bowers & Wilkins PX headphones initially felt a little tight on my head the first time I put them on which may be what you describe as being uncomfortable but after several hours of wearing them they flexed a little and the tight feeling became a non issue for me. The true test for me will be in 2 weeks when I use them on 2 flights.

By the way I understand that the comfort factor in headphones is very personal and subjective but I really wish that you gave them a longer trial as the sound from the PX was definitely superior to the Bose. IMO that review you linked in your earlier post from what-hifi was accurate, the PX has superior sound!
When the Bose get here I'll see how it goes. The B&WPX didn't feel tight really, it just felt like I had a weight on the top of my head. I'll figure out something that works for me.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by deniah
Welcome future possible fellow Kool Aid drinker

I've only been wearing my M3s around the house (TATL trip is next week) but I am so far very happy. It takes a bit to get used to the "swipe controls" -- you have to be aware of your head position -- if I'm leaning sometimes I get "next track" when I am trying to do "volume up" (I swiped straight up but since my head was at an angle it interpreted it as a forward swipe)

They are a tad heaver than my QC-25s with the bluetooth adapter -- but I don't have to carry around an extra charging dongle and being the USB-C cable is nice as it is reversible -- micro USB always gives me a hassle but that is me.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:15 am

+1 for the QC35s

Although if you wanted to go with something cheaper, but with excellent noise cancelling, the QC25s are much cheaper (especially if you get them in an amazon sale) and a rechargeable bluetooth adapter will set you back around $70
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Foodnflights
+1 for the QC35s

Although if you wanted to go with something cheaper, but with excellent noise cancelling, the QC25s are much cheaper (especially if you get them in an amazon sale) and a rechargeable bluetooth adapter will set you back around $70
I have the AirMod bluetooth adapter ($60 on Amazon) that was specifically made for the QC-25s and is hardly noticeable when connected. I used it for nearly two years and had no problems except it has proprietary charging cable -- USB A on one end, 3.5mm socket on the other. Managed to lose/forget it a couple of times, which was a pain. I understand why they did it that way but still hate single use cables

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.