Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best noise cancelling headphones for flying?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2022, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
im interested in getting my NC700s hooked into the planes audio having assumed that without a wire, it would be impossible.

Can you point me in the right direction for an adapter kit please?

ETA: ignore me. I found the 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack in the case!
There are some BT gadgets, that you can plug into the plane's socket and use the headphone without wires. For me that would mean buying a new gadget after each flight as I would forget the gadget plugged in
feysul likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
im interested in getting my NC700s hooked into the planes audio having assumed that without a wire, it would be impossible.

Can you point me in the right direction for an adapter kit please?

ETA: ignore me. I found the 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack in the case!
In my experience, the NC700 works fine with single-prong airline IFE systems but does not work with two- (or three-) prong ones.
Old May 29, 2022, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by anabolism
In my experience, the NC700 works fine with single-prong airline IFE systems but does not work with two- (or three-) prong ones.
I found an adaptor in my drawer of cables and adaptors that will allow 2 pin to 1 pin output. Do you think that will work on 2 pin IFE?
Old May 29, 2022, 7:44 am

I found an adaptor in my drawer of cables and adaptors that will allow 2 pin to 1 pin output. Do you think that will work on 2 pin IFE?
On every other headset, including other Bose, yes. On the Bose NC 700, probably not. On two different NC 700 units (the second sent as a replacement for the first):
  • Using a Bluetooth connection to a phone: works normally
  • Using the included cord to plug into a one-prong airplane IFE with unit off or noise cancellation off: works normally
  • Using the included cord to plug into a one-prong airplane IFE with noise cancellation 10: low audio volume (OK but had to crank IFE sound volume)
  • Using the included cord to plug into a two-prong (three--prong) airplane IFE with unit off or noise cancellation off: works normally
  • Using the included cord to plug into a two-prong (three--prong) airplane IFE with noise cancellation 10: no audio
I have been unable to get an NC 700 to work with a two-prong (three-prong) airplane IFE system unless the Bose is off, in which case it's pointless since there is no active noise cancellation. It seems either there is a design defect in the NC700 or Bose has a pretty bad quality assurance problem such that they sent me two broken units. To verify that the fault is with the Bose NC 700, I tried the NC 700 in multiple airplane IFE systems and tried Sennheiser noise cancelling headsets in the same IFE systems, using the same cord and two-prong adapter. I also tried multiple rounds of the device reboot protocol.
Old May 29, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I have a BOSE 2 pin to 1 adaptor, the one that comes with the BOSE headphones and it wouldn’t fit in a UA Polaris seat IFE. The pins were still just a tad too thick.

So, as stupid as it sounds I think there are slightly different 2 to 1 adaptors.
Old May 31, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Delta: DM
I use the AirFly from TwelveSouth.com (Also available on Amazon)

Works great, have my AirPod Pro's as well as AirPod Max paired so I can use either on a flight without any fuss ( I also pack the 2 prong adapter)
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:18 pm

Sony WH-1000xm5

Anyone use the Sony wh-1000xm5? I was finally able to return my Bose NC700s that didn't work when plugged in to an in-flight entertainment system. The Sony wh-1000xm5s are very spendy but am thinking they may be worth it. I haven't seen reports of their use on long flights though. I've seen conflicting reviews of their noice cancellation and comfort.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:09 am

Sennheiser PXC 550-II

Anyone use the Sennheiser PXC 550-II?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
Anyone use the Sony wh-1000xm5? I was finally able to return my Bose NC700s that didn't work when plugged in to an in-flight entertainment system. The Sony wh-1000xm5s are very spendy but am thinking they may be worth it. I haven't seen reports of their use on long flights though. I've seen conflicting reviews of their noice cancellation and comfort.
It's suppose to be one of the best if not the best on the market. I already have the XM4 so it's unlikely I'll be upgrading anytime soon. My advice if you don't need a new pair of headphones now is to wait until the fall to see what Apple will do with their headphone plans. I have Apple Music and I want to take advantage of the high quality lossless music files. Apple is rumored to be updating at least their Airpods, but it's likely all of their headphones/earphones will be updated to take advantage of its own service. It only make sense, but that will take time. I'm heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem so that's where my money will go when Apple update its hardware.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 6:28 am

On-ear headphones?

Does anyone have any experience with on-ear headphones?

I'm a super-minimal traveler. I recently had a chance to try out my Beats Fit Pros on a flight. I typically listen to music, and not so much video. I know their ANC is not class-leading, and I would describe their performance in flight as 'adequate'. On climb out, they were borderline unusable. At altitude, they were ok, but only if I really pumped up the volume. They did mostly screen out the screaming child at the back of the plane. The benefit with the beats is they're tiny, so pack into anything.

I also own a cheapie Soundcore QC20. While I really like the sound from those, they're way too big for travel ... for me.

I started looking at on-ear headphones—something in-between buds and over-ears. While I've never owned a pair, my hope is that it will offer a better experience. I also don't want to take up too much real estate in my bag. I know they won't be as good as over-ear ANC headphones, but maybe something in-between the earbuds and over-ear? Or, would it all be a wash? Having buds directly in your ear working a bit like ear plugs. Or, having more material (plastic, cushioning, etc ...) on your ear to block out noise.

I was looking the JBL Live 460NC.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:13 am

I got the new Google Pixel Buds Pro and they work rather well, with one exception - audio latency on my laptop. I'd highly recommend them for use with an Android phone so long as you don't have the latency issue or don't care about it.

The noise cancelling and audio quality are very good and on par with my Airpods Pro.

They are very comfortable, although it took me a while to find the best orientation in my ears. The Airpods have essentially only one orientation.

Controls work well and are much better than on the Airpods. They actually have volume control. If anything, the controls are too sensitive.

They have multipoint, which makes it trivial to switch between my Pixel phone and laptop. I haven't had any connection issues. The Airpods had connection issues with my phone, although obviously they're made for Apple devices.

Audio sync issues when watching Youtube videos on my Windows laptop are a major problem for and I might return them as a result. There is very noticeable latency. I don't have these problems on my phone and essentially no problem when using VLC to watch video on the laptop. I haven't had sync issues with the Airpods. Looking at reviews on rtings.com, they found substantially more latency on prior Pixel Buds than on Airpods. Based on postings on reddit, some people have this problem and some don't.

Having read and seen a lot of reviews, there appears to be a wide variety of reactions to the earbuds, much of which could be attributed to individual fit issues. Professional reviews are almost universally very positive, while some people have issues.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:33 pm

I'll be honest - I do think that Sony is the best performing ANC but these days I evaluate flight time to see if I'm going to bother them. Both of my Apple earbuds (Airpods Pro and Beats Fit Pro) are so much easier to deal with and smaller to pack that for a short flight (less than 3 hours) I'll just use them.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by JakiChan
I'll be honest - I do think that Sony is the best performing ANC but these days I evaluate flight time to see if I'm going to bother them. Both of my Apple earbuds (Airpods Pro and Beats Fit Pro) are so much easier to deal with and smaller to pack that for a short flight (less than 3 hours) I'll just use them.
What are the advantages or disadvantages of the Airpods compared to the Beats?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
What are the advantages or disadvantages of the Airpods compared to the Beats?
So first, there's a difference that isn't really a pro or a con, just what works for you: style/fit. The Beats Fit Pro are more secure for me than Airpods. So I got them for the gym.

Their downside is the case, though. Firstly, it doesn't support wireless charging. Secondly, it's a bigger case. Not huge, but it doesn't fit in the coin pocket of my jeans like the Airpods Pro case does. So when I'm just tooling around the house or whatever the Airpods are quick on and off, but the Beats take more effort. So ease of use vs security. But if they gave the Beats Fit Pro a wireless charging case it'd be a huge win.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Switched to the AirPods Max earlier this year (my QC35s were driving me nuts -- see earlier post).

I've flown quite a bit with them now (a few TCONs, couple of TATLs, some other domestic travel, and daily usage at home) and they are by far the best headphones that I've experienced. I traveled about ~1MM with various Bose headphones (TPAC, TATL, TCON, Australia/NZ, etc.) and while they were always great until COVID struck (and then my QC35s melted down with all the bluetooth in my house), the AirPods Max are a clear step above for me.

They are more comfortable, less sweaty, better sound, excellent ANC and seamlessly switch between my Apple devices (MacBook, iPhone, iPad) without the bluetooth issues I had with my Bose.

The one negative is that they don't work with IFE out of the box and you have to spend an additional $50 on the AirFly to make them work which is stupid for a $500 pair of headphones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.