Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

best plan for staying in touch while in israel

Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

my sister will be in Israel for 10 days, her husband for 3. They both have Verizon plans and iphones. they'll mostly be calling US numbers while in Israel.

Verizon has a 10$ a day plan. pay only if you use your phone. is that a good option or is there something better? thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only thing cheaper would be a local SIM (if there's a Call-the-USA-for-cheap plan) or just using wifi.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I'd call Verizon and ask if the $40/month international travel plan is still available. It's described at the link above but myverizon.com doesn't make it available to me anymore.

She'll have to manage data usage carefully if she uses this plan. It provides only 100MB of data. That's plenty if you're careful but can be blown through in a few minutes if you aren't.

I bought a Golan SIM which I used on a recent trip to Israel. The service was fine but the company is nearly impossible to deal with. I can't recommend it.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Only thing cheaper would be a local SIM (if there's a Call-the-USA-for-cheap plan) or just using wifi.
Local SIMs in Israel as not as easy to do as in many other countries. Personally I've got a Golan SIM, but it took me 3 trips to Israel until I finally managed to receive it and have it working.

There are a few companies that will ship a Golan SIM to you in the US, but if you look through this very forum you'll find a recent thread on doing that, and some of the problems encountered...
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
If you do go the local SIM route, you could set up Google Voice and make calls to the US that way. It can even be set up so that you can answer calls without having to go into the Hangouts app (the normal incoming call screen will appear with "Hangouts Audio" on it and the calls will appear in the native call history too). I'm not exactly sure how much data such a call uses, however, so I'd make sure to purchase a fair bit of data just in case.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
There's really two options since most of their calling will be back to the US, and not local.

1) get a local SIM with data (1GB will get you quite a bit of calling, if you don't use it for anything else), and use Google Voice as mentioned above. Forward your US Verizon numbers to the Google Voice number before you leave the US.

2) Pay the $10/day on Verizon. It's more expensive but covers local calls and calls back to the USA (which they likely have unlimited amounts of, if on a recent plan). Also no 2nd number to hassle with.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bchandler02
There's really two options since most of their calling will be back to the US, and not local.

1) get a local SIM with data (1GB will get you quite a bit of calling, if you don't use it for anything else), and use Google Voice as mentioned above. Forward your US Verizon numbers to the Google Voice number before you leave the US.

2) Pay the $10/day on Verizon. It's more expensive but covers local calls and calls back to the USA (which they likely have unlimited amounts of, if on a recent plan). Also no 2nd number to hassle with.
3) Keep the phone in airplane mode and just use Wifi when you get to a wifi hotspot. If you turn on wifi calling before you leave, you will be able to make/receive calls using your US Verizon number just like you're sitting at home.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
If they're staying somewhere with wifi (hotel, relatives home) - what about skype?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.