Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

USMobile $10 Inflight & Boingo WiFi Plan

USMobile $10 Inflight & Boingo WiFi Plan

Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by legalalien

But a great deal for AA and DL flyers.
Very true statement (coming from an iPass user)! And if you get in a United flight where it is supported, you have to click on the link to log into your gogo account, then the link that says iPass user? then you can log in, then get the capcha.. Kinda a pain. It is not seamless...

Additionally, Southwest is not supported either...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:02 am

I decided to go ahead and try it for a small business that I have been deemed, "the IT guy"... My specific interest is if the USMobile/ iPass deal includes a VPN service when using open Wifi access points... Using iPass though my employer does not seem to support a VPN, but the iPass website claims it is a feature... Utilizing WiFi in the air would be a bonus assuming the service supports the airline and flights that are being used...
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:27 am

So, this seems to be useless for United flyers. Only PS is supported; the entire fleet of UX E70/E7W/CR7 planes is excluded, even though the connection is provided by Gogo. Bummer.

This comes from iPass support, which informed me that,

"For United Airlines we only have 15 planes and two regional jets. If the network name is "gogo_inflihgt" you will be able to connect.
If it is "United_WIFI"or something else, the plane is not supported by us."

But a great deal for AA and DL flyers.
The part that is strange is that they support Panasonic internet. As far as I know, United_WIFI is provided by Panasonic as well. Oh well
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by squawk1200
Very true statement (coming from an iPass user)! And if you get in a United flight where it is supported, you have to click on the link to log into your gogo account, then the link that says iPass user? then you can log in, then get the capcha.. Kinda a pain. It is not seamless...

Additionally, Southwest is not supported either...
With a true iPass account, you get username and password to login to Gogo, and you can use it on United Express E70/E75/CR7 aircraft. With US Mobile, you don't know your actual iPass account's password - the app is provisioned through a claim code, and there is no way to login to Gogo as an iPass user manually.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Originally Posted by josephstern
So what happens if you don't activate? Do you get a refund?
I would say you're SOL....
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
Will it work without administrator access if I'm on a work-issued laptop?
To answer my own question, I was able to install it on a work laptop without administrator access. It downloaded and installed fine. I have a DL flight tomorrow and am looking forward to using it.

My firm doesn't have the tightest security settings on their laptops, though.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:32 pm

We are flying with etihad from Melbourne to abu dhabi, abu dhabi to london, both on their a380's.
Any idea if the ipass will work on these flights?. On the website https://www.ipass.com/inflight-internet/
it says supplies 300+ (67 specific to etihad) planes but doesn't go into more detail
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Schumi5
We are flying with etihad from Melbourne to abu dhabi, abu dhabi to london, both on their a380's.
Any idea if the ipass will work on these flights?. On the website https://www.ipass.com/inflight-internet/
it says supplies 300+ (67 specific to etihad) planes but doesn't go into more detail
A380 service is provided by T-Mobile, which is the same as LH and AA (international), so in theory, this pass should work. However, I suggest you check with iPass support (https://www.ipass.com/support/) - there's a chat button that appears in the lower, right-hand corner after the page loads, and they're fairly responsive. Make sure to mention that you have service through US Mobile and will use the iPass app to connect.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:25 am

A380 service is provided by T-Mobile, which is the same as LH and AA (international), so in theory, this pass should work. However, I suggest you check with iPass support (https://www.ipass.com/support/) - there's a chat button that appears in the lower, right-hand corner after the page loads, and they're fairly responsive. Make sure to mention that you have service through US Mobile and will use the iPass app to connect.
Thanks, i tried and got the following response

Thanks so much for reaching out to iPass Technical Support. This is Michael and I shall help you with your concern today.

We only have all the list of the airlines and number of planes but we don't have the specific flight # or routes, to check all our supported airlines here: https://www.ipass.com/inflight-internet/

Also, if the SSID is "gogoinflight" then they are supported, if it is anything else is NOT currently supported by iPass.

So really I am no closer to knowing, a bit frustrating
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are there any more codes available for $6 per month? Is this something that you can eventually cancel?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:00 am

FYI, at the bottom of the dashboard, it says:
Accidentally linked the wrong device?
Go to this page and click "DOWNLOAD"
So it seems that you can link multiple devices, just use one at a time?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by simchi
So it seems that you can link multiple devices, just use one at a time?
You can switch registration, and it's unclear if they let you do it multiple times.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by themicah
To answer my own question, I was able to install it on a work laptop without administrator access. It downloaded and installed fine. I have a DL flight tomorrow and am looking forward to using it.

My firm doesn't have the tightest security settings on their laptops, though.
Varies by your work. Current company (<200 employee), I had to get an Admin to install it on the laptop but there wasn't an issue. Last job (200,000+) had iPass pre-installed

Bought 1 subscription for an iPad @ $6 with a discount code and another at the full price @ $10 for the laptop. The iPad is spotty and I have to reactivate it while connected to the internet weekly. Laptop seems to work fine. Mostly using it on AA.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:00 pm

Has anybody used this with American Airlines on international routes (e.g. Panasonic): e.g. JFK-LHR.

Is the log-in process fairly simple? (assuming download the profile properly).
Was the speed decent enough?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Simon Schus
Has anybody used this with American Airlines on international routes (e.g. Panasonic): e.g. JFK-LHR.

Is the log-in process fairly simple? (assuming download the profile properly).
Was the speed decent enough?
Yes:

Originally Posted by javabytes
Tried it out on a Panasonic-equipped AA international flight. Works, but glitchy as hell... it asked me to solve a captcha. It told me my answer was wrong and asked me to solve another one. When I solved that one, I got a different notification that told me I had already passed verification. Then it started trying to authenticate me. It never actually got to "Connected" - it just sat on "Connecting..." forever, but I was still able to browse.

Kind of a shame that you have to use their stupid client even on laptops. Most of these wifi providers have an iPass login button, but since you don't know your own iPass credentials, you can't use it. And installation of their client can be forbidden by strict security policy on some machines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.