Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

USMobile $10 Inflight & Boingo WiFi Plan

USMobile $10 Inflight & Boingo WiFi Plan

Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
As you can see from my anticipated usage pattern, it makes sense, if possible, to buy a one-month pass for my trip next week, let it lapse, buy another one-month pass for Paris (as soon as late October given the 30-day activation window), let that lapse, and then buy as necessary next spring--although I would expect by then that USMobile might have changed the terms of the plan, raising the price and/or requiring a longer-term purchase and/or instituting automatic renewals.
My usage pattern is about the same but I still think the $10 per pass is a great deal even if you only use it once or twice in the 30-day period. And, yes, based on the way the US Mobile website reads, you can do exactly that...essentially turn the access on and off as needed.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
And, yes, based on the way the US Mobile website reads, you can do exactly that...essentially turn the access on and off as needed.
My plan has expired, and there is now a "Restart" button, which takes you to the billing information page.

​​​I'm holding off until the next eligible trip though.
Xeno and HockeyCoachBen like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by legalalien
My plan has expired, and there is now a "Restart" button, which takes you to the billing information page.

​​​I'm holding off until the next eligible trip though.
Sounds like this answers my question. And given the price of in-flight internet access, $10 would be worthwhile if I only used it on one flight during the 30-day access. Throw in multiple flights and international wifi access, and it's a steal.
HockeyCoachBen likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: US, HH
They sent me a reminder email about 3 days before my plan expired and reiterated even if you buy now, you don't have to activate it immediately. They do not mention that you have to activate it within 30 days of purchase though.

It's worked quite well for me so far on gogo on AS and AA. I did have to go flag networks I don't want it to connect to (such as free hotel wifi, etc) because it sent me an email about halfway through my prior plan that I have used 2gb of my 4gb. Which would be tough based on the light gogo use I had, but may well have been if it actually counted some hotel wifi connections as well.

However, I thought it's supposed to be unlimited. I don't see any mention on the website that there is a 4gb limit. Either way, using this for inflight wifi is a good deal for me. Any other networks that I end up using, will be a nice bonus.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
What is the 4GB limit? I didn't see any mention of it either.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I am not certain we are talking about the same thing, but I noticed during my first use that my data useage was set at 4GB. I am with AT&T and so I had to change that number to my actual data plan since the iPass app tracks how much data I have used with AT&T.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Xeno
I am not certain we are talking about the same thing, but I noticed during my first use that my data useage was set at 4GB. I am with AT&T and so I had to change that number to my actual data plan since the iPass app tracks how much data I have used with AT&T.

Ahh....okay, got it! That is totally different--yes, I'm aware of that function in the iPass app. Doesn't match my AT&T data bucket either, but I don't really care. As long as the wifi is unlimited!

Has anyone seen what happens if you let the plan lapse and then activate a new one? Does it work okay?

What if you want continuous access? Can you activate a renewal before the previous 30 day period expires?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by GrjApp
It's worked quite well for me so far on gogo on AS and AA. I did have to go flag networks I don't want it to connect to (such as free hotel wifi, etc) because it sent me an email about halfway through my prior plan that I have used 2gb of my 4gb. Which would be tough based on the light gogo use I had, but may well have been if it actually counted some hotel wifi connections as well.

However, I thought it's supposed to be unlimited. I don't see any mention on the website that there is a 4gb limit. Either way, using this for inflight wifi is a good deal for me. Any other networks that I end up using, will be a nice bonus.
So any iPass Wi-Fi network this 4GB cap applies to? Or is this GoGo only?

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Has anyone reached out to US Mobile for clarification on this?

Here was my AS experience tonight on a red-eye.

Prior to departure, I followed the instructions on US Mobile site (wanted this on my laptop). I installed their Windows iPass app. This a is designed to auto-connect / auto-login for GoGo and presuming their Wi-Fi networks.

Used the app to login, all I had to so was enter a CAPCHA random letters. Once logged in, I killed the iPass app in Windows, connecting through Windows native WiFi connection.

I later found iPass login on Alaska gogo portal page. I'll try this next time bypassing iPass application .

Last edited by BarryL; Sep 18, 2017 at 1:20 am
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by BarryL
...Prior to departure, I followed the instructions on US Mobile site (wanted this on my laptop). I installed their Windows iPass app. This a is designed to auto-connect / auto-login for GoGo and presuming their Wi-Fi networks.

Used the app to login, all I had to so was enter a CAPCHA random letters. Once logged in, I killed the iPass app in Windows, connecting through Windows native WiFi connection.

I later found iPass login on Alaska gogo portal page. I'll try this next time bypassing iPass application .
I wonder if this method works on Android, on LH...

I'll attempt to try it next time I fly and report.

Btw, (can't remember if I posted here or somewhere else, but...) the Android ipass app appears to log you out each time you stop using the internet for some reason - so if you want to be notified by WhatsApp or any other app on LH, then one has to keep the connection alive somehow...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Btw, (can't remember if I posted here or somewhere else, but...) the Android ipass app appears to log you out each time you stop using the internet for some reason - so if you want to be notified by WhatsApp or any other app on LH, then one has to keep the connection alive somehow...
Maybe just keep an streaming music app running?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:34 pm

Small data point - iPass on LX required login via web portal with Captcha & email and login didn't work with the iOS app.

iPass was useful in the UK at Premier Inn and UK Travelodge where the extended/premium wifi was at a charge but included in iPass. Possibly relevant note - my own vpn (not for work) would not connect with iPass iOS app running. There is a last mile vpn included with iPass iOS app. If you need a specific region/corporate vpn, perhaps consider trying the app on a few devices first to figure out which one might work.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by BarryL
Maybe just keep an streaming music app running?
Good idea!

Originally Posted by freecia
Small data point - iPass on LX required login via web portal with Captcha & email and login didn't work with the iOS app.
Ahh - this is a good way to get internet on LX too! I now do remember I had to buy through iPass on LX (had to pay through the nose - 2x on the same flight) - so does it work with this plan??

(I tried contacting USMobile and iPass support - neither had any clue - and iPass support said to contact Swiss' Gogo support! )

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Sep 19, 2017 at 9:43 am
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I can no longer find a way to purchase. Clicking on the Get Unlimited Wifi for $10 button just redirects to the US Mobile home page. Party over?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by javabytes
I can no longer find a way to purchase. Clicking on the Get Unlimited Wifi for $10 button just redirects to the US Mobile home page. Party over?
Oh, no. Did you have an account and now are not able to renew or rather just now prepared to buy?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Xeno
Oh, no. Did you have an account and now are not able to renew or rather just now prepared to buy?
I have existing subscriptions... but neither renewing nor buying a new subscription seems to work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.