Search

Travel power strips

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Travel power strips

I have the Monster Cable one, which has a short power cable that wraps into a very compact shape.

However, it has a very bright blue LED which I've started to notice more and more.

So I searched on Amazon and can't find similarly compact products.

However, I notice now that most of them integrate USB ports in addition to 2 or 3 power outlets, such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY7JYCE...=3MES65KGZXELG

Some of them even feature USB-C port to future proof, though I guess the capabilities of USB-C products are not reliable now as they won't charge everything that has a USB-C port.

Certainly more bulky package than the Monster Power strip but presumably I wouldn't need to pack a separate charger with multiple USB ports, as I do currently.

Anyone using one of these integrated power strips for travel overseas?

I guess having plug adaptors like this model wouldn't be absolutely necessary as you can use the plug adaptors you already have.

Presumably, the USB ports are powered from 100-240V sources while the outlets themselves could only be 100-120V so you'd have to make sure to plug in a worldwide power supply for things like laptops and other devices which won't charge only from a USB-A port.
emily079 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wco81
However, it has a very bright blue LED which I've started to notice more and more.
Duct tape fixes everything.

I have one of these. I left it at my in-laws summer house in Sweden last year (to keep over there), but I couldn't find it this year.

https://www.110220volts.com/3-strip.html

Very compact, has a grounded Schuko plug, but does not include USB ports. Not a big deal for me.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:12 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I have the same Monster power strip as the OP and like it's compact design. I recently switched to the attached: http://www.tripplite.com/protect-it-...~TRAVELER3USB/. It's not as compact, but I love having the extra USB ports so I can charge phones and tablets.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
A little dab of paint works well, also, although it's more permanent. You could even get some translucent paint (or even nail polish, if someone in your house has some) to retain a little of the glow.

Or just hole punch a piece of electrical, duct, or translucent (to keep some of the light) tape and stick it over the light.

Thing I like about the item OP linked is that it's also a surge protector + USB ports, although I've used an international plug adapter + my 3 plug cube in several countries with no issues (Korea, Japan, EU).
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Thing I like about the item OP linked is that it's also a surge protector + USB ports, although I've used an international plug adapter + my 3 plug cube in several countries with no issues (Korea, Japan, EU).
Only thing that makes me pause is that the USB ports are rated only at 20W and a total of 6 Amps.

They say it's intelligent so it will adjust the power to whatever the device can draw.

For comparison, I have a 5-port Aukey with one of the ports being a QC 2.0 port, though I don't have devices to take advantage of it.

That Aukey charger cost almost as much as that power strip and is rated at 53W and 10 amps.

So you don't have quite the same charging capacity as a dedicated USB charger.

Of course I could just plug the USB charger to one of the outlets but that defeats the purpose of going with a less compact, all-in-one strip with integrated USB ports.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I was thinking of a hammer, but one of the two will always work.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
  1. Shame on you for supporting Monster with your purchase.
  2. The plug shape adapter wiki has some power strips. Do you really need three prongs?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
I have the Monster Cable one, which has a short power cable that wraps into a very compact shape.

So I searched on Amazon and can't find similarly compact products.

However, I notice now that most of them integrate USB ports in addition to 2 or 3 power outlets, such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY7JYCE...=3MES65KGZXELG

Some of them even feature USB-C port to future proof, though I guess the capabilities of USB-C products are not reliable now as they won't charge everything that has a USB-C port.

Certainly more bulky package than the Monster Power strip but presumably I wouldn't need to pack a separate charger with multiple USB ports, as I do currently.

Anyone using one of these integrated power strips for travel overseas?

I guess having plug adaptors like this model wouldn't be absolutely necessary as you can use the plug adaptors you already have.

Presumably, the USB ports are powered from 100-240V sources while the outlets themselves could only be 100-120V so you'd have to make sure to plug in a worldwide power supply for things like laptops and other devices which won't charge only from a USB-A port.
Like the idea but I would like a shorter cord and quick charge capability.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:26 pm

So you want to buy a non UL certified surge proector + USB charger with a power cord that even from a crappy render is visibly undersized? Knock yourself out.

If you look at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HRJI8FA this one, while I certainly don't want to endorse it but at least it emphasizes having a decent power cord and an UL cert. And yes, it is visible the power cord is thicker. I rather encourage people to travel with only two prong devices if they can. It makes all the conversion stuff much much easier and lighter weight.

You can't mess with these things. Someone down the line plugs in a laser printer or a vacuum and the cord melts? Catches fire at worst?

Last edited by chx1975; Jul 22, 2017 at 10:33 pm
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by chx1975
  1. Shame on you for supporting Monster with your purchase.
Yeah, but the Monster2Go travel power strip is really excellent for very little money. I support the OP's purchase. I have two.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by bkafrick
Yeah, but the Monster2Go travel power strip is really excellent for very little money. I support the OP's purchase. I have two.
I agree, it is a very good product, which I have had for years. Unfortunately, I think it has been discontinued.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:56 pm

I have been making this point for many years now, the product is irrelevant, the company deserves a boycott. If the consumers don't show what they think of a tax evading patent troll who will?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I recently switched to the attached: http://www.tripplite.com/protect-it-...~TRAVELER3USB/.
Keep in mind that this explicitly lists it as being 120 volts, so likely isn't a good idea for anyone that travels internationally.

For boards that are just dumb powerboards you can probably get away with the wrong voltage, but anything with a surge protector or USB is asking for trouble...
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
Shame on you for supporting Monster with your purchase.
Yeah, they sue a lot of firms for trademark infringement. Apparently that includes Disney for having the audacity to title a movie "Monsters Inc", the "Monster Mini Golf" company who so obviously competes with a consumer electronics company, etc. I love that well designed power strip but I'd never buy another one because Monster isn't a company whose business practices anyone should support.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for the opposite - something that accepts EU plugs for traveling globally, including to the USA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.