Wiki Posts
Search

Dash cam?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2017, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Dash cam?

After almost being hit today by someone who blew right through a red light at an intersection, I'm considering getting a dash cam. Anybody use one and have any thoughts/experiences/recommendations they'd like to share? Thanks in advance!
Old May 16, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Seems like you can't be a member on SlickDeals without owning a dash cam (or GoPro, or brushless drill driver, or DSLR camera with at least 30 lenses).
Old May 16, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
What good would it do you? Chances are you can't get the license plate.

I can't see getting something that offers no real benefit and is a magnet for thieves.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
What good would it do you? Chances are you can't get the license plate.

I can't see getting something that offers no real benefit and is a magnet for thieves.
Seems to me it would be useful in proving who had the right of way when someone runs a red light or otherwise ignores traffic controls. Otherwise without any 3rd party witnesses it's just your word against the other driver's.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
IMHO, it's a waste of money.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
IMHO, it's a waste of money.
You're probably right but a close call makes you wonder if there's anything more you should be doing to protect yourself, even if only from a fault standpoint.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:13 pm

I use Vantrue N2 and it works well. Quality is good (better during the day time.)

I was involved in a hit-and-run where the other driver ran away from scene of accident and after two months of back-and-forth, his insurance coughed up 100% of the damages. And that happened because I had video evidence showing it was their driver who hit my car. So my dash-cam has already paid for itself many times over.

Capturing license plate is not a problem during day-light, but can be tricky at night time...though not impossible in many scenarios. But at the end of the day it is better than having nothing at all. Go for it.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:37 pm

Just thinking about this
I was starting through intersection when a car started moving on the right hand street against a red light
Driver looked to be a woman in her 80's who was startled when I blew my horn

If she did collide with me I would have only my word that I had green light
Dash cam would help
About what is the cost? Wondering if any cars come equipped with these . Most cars now have a gps and a dash cam would be great
Old May 16, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
I usually run one when I have a rental car. They can be hard on sd cards with the constant overwrites.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I'm getting a GoPro for hiking and mountain climbing. Thoughts about how those work as a dashcam, since I'll have it anyhow?

(And while we're at it, though it's a bit off topic, thoughts on GoPro vs. Nikon KeyMission would be welcome as well.)
Old May 16, 2017, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
You're probably right but a close call makes you wonder if there's anything more you should be doing to protect yourself, even if only from a fault standpoint.
That's why husband got his. Get one i say.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:50 pm

Just upgraded my dash cam yesterday based on a Tweet by a tornado chaser (figured they would be experts at them!):

The Wheel Witness at Amazon was on sale for $100.00 for one day (now it's $125.00): WheelWitness dash cam - it's a great camera (even though have had it only for two days)

Replaced my ~2 year old DVR-207 dash cam
Old May 17, 2017, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by bowdenj
Just upgraded my dash cam yesterday based on a Tweet by a tornado chaser (figured they would be experts at them!):

Tweet from storm chaser re: dash cam

The Wheel Witness at Amazon was on sale for $100.00 for one day (now it's $125.00): WheelWitness dash cam - it's a great camera (even though have had it only for two days)

Replaced my ~2 year old DVR-207 dash cam
There's a promo now that gets you 20% off; use code HOB5WUVS at checkout. I just tried it and got the $99 price. Didn't actually place the order though, as I already have a dash cam I'm not using
Old May 17, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I have a dash cam I paid 15 dollars for. Works just fine and can read the license plates. There are about 6 of us on this job site with the same camera, no issues.

Now on sale for 12 dollars.

http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/pro...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old May 17, 2017, 7:29 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
You have a typo in your link. Corrected: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053DDNW6/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.