Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dash cam?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
You have a typo in your link. Corrected: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053DDNW6/
On mobile when I paste a link I find it is easiest to change that automatic prefix to "other" and then I can paste the link in its entirety. Looks like the previous poster didn't do that and got http:// and https://
Old May 17, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I have a dash cam I paid 15 dollars for. Works just fine and can read the license plates. There are about 6 of us on this job site with the same camera, no issues.

Now on sale for 12 dollars.

http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/pro...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had no idea they were available at such a low price. No surprise though that it only garners 2.8 stars. I'm tempted just based on price. I can afford to lose $12 if it's a total piece of cr@p.

I hadn't given a dash cam much thought until last summer when another vehicle pulled out in front of me so quickly I was unable to stop or avoid the collision. I filed a claim with her insurer and when I had finished describing the wreck, the agent said "well, we have 2 versions of this story ..." Without an independent witness, I would have been out my deductible.

The likelihood of another driver stopping to give me his phone number next time is rather slim, I think.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bowdenj
Just upgraded my dash cam yesterday based on a Tweet by a tornado chaser (figured they would be experts at them!):

Tweet from storm chaser re: dash cam

The Wheel Witness at Amazon was on sale for $100.00 for one day (now it's $125.00): WheelWitness dash cam - it's a great camera (even though have had it only for two days)

Replaced my ~2 year old DVR-207 dash cam
the 1 star review is discouraging. It looks big as well.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:18 pm

Just think of all the meteor footage we would have if dash cams were standard equipment.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by cblaisd
You have a typo in your link. Corrected: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053DDNW6/
Cheers,
Thank you.

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I had no idea they were available at such a low price. No surprise though that it only garners 2.8 stars. I'm tempted just based on price. I can afford to lose $12 if it's a total piece of cr@p.

I hadn't given a dash cam much thought until last summer when another vehicle pulled out in front of me so quickly I was unable to stop or avoid the collision. I filed a claim with her insurer and when I had finished describing the wreck, the agent said "well, we have 2 versions of this story ..." Without an independent witness, I would have been out my deductible.

The likelihood of another driver stopping to give me his phone number next time is rather slim, I think.
That was my feeling as well. If I correctly recall, most of the bad reviews were due to faulty units so sounds likes QA/QC of the product is not spectacular. It's also a bit confusing if you don't read the instructions (default LCD menu in Chinese, have to follow instructions to change to English).

For most peoples' purposes not sure how important GPS and Speed sensor etc are. I actually see them as a disadvantage because they my provide evidence AGAINST you by way of over collection of data. I.E. maybe someone else is mostly at fault, but your percentage of fault could increase due to speeding etc.

Another thing to consider with these is sound recording. I have mine disabled because there are conversations in my vehicle I wouldn't want someone to be able to listen to if they decided they wanted to steal my 15 dollar camera.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Is there any dash cams that are installed (and hidden) in the front grille? (similar to the built in backup camera.) That would look so much better and the car wouldn't be a magnet for theft.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by heffa
Is there any dash cams that are installed (and hidden) in the front grille? (similar to the built in backup camera.) That would look so much better and the car wouldn't be a magnet for theft.
After doing some research based on what people have posted in this thread, I was also wondering if there were any models that are hidden or removable.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:13 pm

and it also records when you roll thru a stop sign , etc

I hope they do not record voice as I scream at all the idiot drivers

Also many of the cheap Ebay etc models may look like a brand name one , but are copies of copies , each made with cheaper parts,

not sure how good a camera they can sell for $12
Old May 17, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by LAXlocal

One that's still ticking after 2 years so far.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
After doing some research based on what people have posted in this thread, I was also wondering if there were any models that are hidden or removable.
If you want to put it away when not in use, get one of the suction-cup mount ones instead of the adhesive ones.

I've been thinking about getting a G1W-C (or clone of it) and a mirror mount.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P8F3LD0...I23L7VT8PIRJW9

Last edited by empedocles; May 18, 2017 at 10:28 am
Old May 18, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
A concealed mount (such as in the radiator grille for example) would offer at least one disadvantage: you'd never know if it were working properly. My Falcon Zero, unfortunately, has developed an irritating habit of turning itself off whenever it wants to, and I have to reset it by pressing the power button again. Since it's hidden from my view by the rear-view mirror, I don't realize until it's too late.

Which came close a couple of times lately: once, a driver cut across my path as though I weren't even there, and I narrowly missed hitting her, slamming on my brakes, swerving, and laying on my horn all at once. She looked at me quite blithely throughout the event.

Then, a wrong-way driver on a four-lane divided highway. I was looking forward to using the footage from that for something! But no, my Falcon recorded neither event. Anyway, I guess there's a brand I can't recommend....but thanks for the thread, it's reminded me to try and do something about it.

ETA: Ha! Their site advertises the device as "YOUR EYEWITNESS THAT NEVER BLINKS"

One other thing I'd add is that manufacturers advise never to share your chip, not even with cops. Makes sense: it may include things you don't want shared. I wonder if it even makes sense to tell the other party that you have it recorded. Well, it certainly makes sense in my case, since my device probably hasn't recorded anything

Last edited by China Clipper; May 18, 2017 at 4:19 pm Reason: YOUR EYEWITNESS THAT NEVER BLINKS
Old May 19, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by China Clipper
ETA: Ha! Their site advertises the device as "YOUR EYEWITNESS THAT NEVER BLINKS"
It never blinks because it's always asleep.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Mary2e
IMHO, it's a waste of money.
Disagree, and in any case, it is a small amount of money.

Some scammers in my area would back into people in a traffic jam on the highway and then claim "hit from behind...pay me money now or I call the cops and the insurance co"

Very hard to prove who hit who it a situation like that.

Here's another example ...they back up into you on purpose and try to extort $$ from you

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...scam-1.2704500

I pay thousands a year in car insurance. A hundred bucks or so on a dash cam wont' break the bank and if it saves me future money on insurance, great.

Last edited by mapleg; May 19, 2017 at 7:44 am
Old May 19, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
I have one that goes over the mirror of the car. Adantage is no one even know it is there and I have it wired via the headliner. Disadvantage is you lose the dimming of the mirror or auto dimming if you have that feature.

Here's one example

https://www.amazon.com/DOD-TECH-RX8W.../dp/B00V8LF0E6
Old May 19, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
and it also records when you roll thru a stop sign , etc

I hope they do not record voice as I scream at all the idiot drivers

Also many of the cheap Ebay etc models may look like a brand name one , but are copies of copies , each made with cheaper parts,

Don't bother with cheapo dash cams. Terrible. Ordered a cheapie from ebay once and threw it away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.