Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Noise cancelling vs. noise isolating earbuds?

Noise cancelling vs. noise isolating earbuds?

Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:03 pm

Thank you Txflyer77

Don't really know how to use this site but I think I figured it out. Thank you so much
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by CPRich
I'll pile on for the Ety ER-4s. 29+db NRR, superb sound quality. Look at the ER-6 at a lower price point.
I'd love to look at the ER-6, but they were discountinued 5 or so years ago. Managed to find a pair though at a hearing aid shop's online discount bin last year ^
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by PackingIt
I'm surprised by all the recommendations for Noise Isolating, versus Noise Cancelling. For me, Noise Cancelling is hands down far better than NI, especially on planes. Add Comply foam tips to those same NC ear buds, and you are ready for almost anything.

And honestly, unless you can easily drop the $$$ for the Bose QC, any decently rated NC earbuds on Amazon will probably do the trick.
The thing is, that a good NI phone doesn't leave much noise for NC to cancel, but NC impacts sound quality.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:18 am

For me, even a well fitting NI does not block the droning noise of an airplane engine, which will give me a headache on a long flight. A NC does block that droning noise.

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
The thing is, that a good NI phone doesn't leave much noise for NC to cancel, but NC impacts sound quality.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I'd love to look at the ER-6, but they were discountinued 5 or so years ago. Managed to find a pair though at a hearing aid shop's online discount bin last year ^
I guess it's been a while since I used/bought them, upgrding to the '4 a few years back. But I suspect whatever they have in that price range - appears to be the hf5 - is a solid choice.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The main difference between noise canceling / reduction and noise isolating devices is that noise canceling generally introduces inverted wave forms to cancel continuous wave noise, e.g. engine noise. (Bose originally developed NR headphones for pilots - I used them decades ago). They don't work as well for transient wave forms such as babies crying, glass breaking, people speaking with volume and vocal variety, etc. And NR requires a power source, whether battery or via plug.

Noise isolating devices use noise isolation / blocking on the other hand attenuate all sounds, regardless. There is no power necessary for the sound isolation function.

I used Boses and they're nice, but my Etymotics are far better for me. I have a bit of hyperacusis and much prefer to have sound blocking - human speech and crying, etc. Not to mention I can side sleep with my Etys and they fit in my shirt pocket, unlike any over the ear device. I can wear them comfortably on longer trips - DOH-LAX, for example. They're also easier to secure in small hotel or cruise ship safes.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:20 am

Another +1 for Ety. ER4-XRs if you can afford them, HF5s if you can't or don't want to drop the coin. Depending on what you're driving, perhaps a Dragonfly USB DAC to drive them. I use a Dragonfly Red + ER4-XRs.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:14 pm

Have you considered electronic earplugs like the Electronic Communication earplugs used mostly in noisy environment workplaces? This earplugs protect your ears but still allow you communicate with others and has a Bluetooth capacity which allows you to connect to your phone. Although when I travel especially during long flights, I use the Moldex Drift to Sleep and it works fine for me.

Last edited by doctear; Apr 3, 2018 at 7:23 am Reason: additional information
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by JakiChan
Another +1 for Ety. ER4-XRs if you can afford them, HF5s if you can't or don't want to drop the coin. Depending on what you're driving, perhaps a Dragonfly USB DAC to drive them. I use a Dragonfly Red + ER4-XRs.
I'm on my 2nd pair of HF5s and they are great for the price. I considered getting the ER4s but reviews were mixed, some felt it was a significant step up, others said the difference was minimal. Sound quality is great, and the isolation is great. I've been meaning to get custom tips done but never have.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I continually streamline my travel kit. In my case I use the Scosche silicone earbuds. They do great at noise reduction, sound superb and take almost no space. I am constantly amazed at people lugging huge Bose headphones around. They take up waay to much space, and you can't lie on your side with them on, as you can with earbuds.....
doctear likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by timfountain
I continually streamline my travel kit. In my case I use the Scosche silicone earbuds. They do great at noise reduction, sound superb and take almost no space. I am constantly amazed at people lugging huge Bose headphones around. They take up waay to much space, and you can't lie on your side with them on, as you can with earbuds.....
If I wanted to use earbuds I would have to remove my hearing aids, which is not the sort of "noise cancellation" that I am looking for. I love my QC35s precisely because they completely cover my ears *and* hearing aids, and knock down the airplane drone enough that I can carry on a conversation with a Flight Attendant with them on, while that same conversation would be very difficult with the headphones off. Similarly, the noise cancellation allows me to watch movies on the IFE, which I would be completely unable to do if I removed my hearing aids and inserted earbuds.

So, while you are busy being amazed, I try to be aware that everyone's use case is different - and don't spend my time judging other's choices.
HA/UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:31 am

I can't comment on noise isolating headphones but do swear by my Bose QC15 noise cancelling headphones. Once the plane goes wheels up until wheels down I've got those suckers turned on and placed firmly on my ears it significantly cuts out the engine noise, especially on jumbos and props.

One thing I haven't figured out for the life of me is how to sleep with them on when I'm flying long haul J on a lie flat (I tend to sleep on my side and I'm always worried I'm going to destroy those headphones). Any recommendations?

Safe Travels,

James
5khours likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I can't comment on noise isolating headphones but do swear by my Bose QC15 noise cancelling headphones. Once the plane goes wheels up until wheels down I've got those suckers turned on and placed firmly on my ears it significantly cuts out the engine noise, especially on jumbos and props.

One thing I haven't figured out for the life of me is how to sleep with them on when I'm flying long haul J on a lie flat (I tend to sleep on my side and I'm always worried I'm going to destroy those headphones). Any recommendations?

Safe Travels,

James
That's precisely why I went to in ears instead of on ears. In addition, they take up much less room in my bag, and don't get uncomfortable after a few hours either.
doctear likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02
That's precisely why I went to in ears instead of on ears. In addition, they take up much less room in my bag, and don't get uncomfortable after a few hours either.
Agree! On ears take a lot of space in my luggage.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:40 am

For plane travel I always take my noise cancelling headphones with me. They are a godsend and really make the flight more comfortable, especially the longer ones.The only problem I have with them is that some of these plane seats have a side cushion for the head but because of the headphone (over-ear) can't really sit comfortably. This is why I explored NC earbuds as well. Got Linner NC50 which were pretty cheap and so far work great for my daily hiking. Haven't taken them to the plane yet. Found them here: https://headphonesaddict.com/best-no...lling-earbuds/ Don't really want to splash over $100 for headphones I won't be using daily so I go for cheaper ones.

As for everyday use, I always use my in-ear headphones (IEMs) with foam eartips. Great comfort, sound and noise isolation is just more hassle free for me. I don't have to worry about the battery and the earbuds I get sound great at a cheap price. It's really up to you to decide what you need them for.
doctear likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.