Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

MS Surface Book - any users here on FT...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MS Surface Book - any users here on FT...?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Thanks for the great feedback.

Im not at all worried about oversize and weight, you have to bear in mind that Ive been schlepping around (for the past 6+ years) a now vintage ThinkPad W520 that has a 15.6" screen and is pretty much an aircraft carrier in terms of both dimentions and weight. Also, dont forget the massive power brick that comes with it. Trust me, I can handle weight and size... LOL

Im looking for a high-end specs machine that will work as a mobile desktop replacement unit... and has docking station options, etc. etc. as I will be eventually looking at an external monitor as well.
In that case, the 15” SB2 is fantastic. I can’t recommend the SB dock enough — it’s geninely one of the best docking stations I’ve ever used. At my office, I love using the magnetic Surface connector (you can also charge the SB2 with USB-C but I prefer to use the Surface connector when possible) to instantly add two monitors, external mouse and keyboard and other peripherals. I’m primarily a Mac user and I wish I could find a thunderbolt 3 dock half as good as my Surface dock. Do keep in mind that dock is Mini DisplayPort and not hdmi, so an adaptor might be needed depending on monitor - but I’ve used a lot of business docks and the surface dock is legit excellent.

Also, the Surface power adapter has a USB-A port on it, which is useful if you have an iPhone or older Android or you need to charge headphones or something and don’t have an extra power cube handy. It’s a small touch, but one I really appreciate.
AltaBound likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:56 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Great.... thank you once again for sharing your experience !!!

Originally Posted by film_girl

In that case, the 15” SB2 is fantastic. I can’t recommend the SB dock enough — it’s geninely one of the best docking stations I’ve ever used. At my office, I love using the magnetic Surface connector (you can also charge the SB2 with USB-C but I prefer to use the Surface connector when possible) to instantly add two monitors, external mouse and keyboard and other peripherals. I’m primarily a Mac user and I wish I could find a thunderbolt 3 dock half as good as my Surface dock. Do keep in mind that dock is Mini DisplayPort and not hdmi, so an adaptor might be needed depending on monitor - but I’ve used a lot of business docks and the surface dock is legit excellent.

Also, the Surface power adapter has a USB-A port on it, which is useful if you have an iPhone or older Android or you need to charge headphones or something and don’t have an extra power cube handy. It’s a small touch, but one I really appreciate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.