Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumored/Requested New T-Mobile "Feature"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Rumored/Requested New T-Mobile "Feature"

Heard a rumor last week about a possible new feature/benefit that T-Mobile has been throwing around at development meetings. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to be gaining too much traction internally but I was told that if enough people ask T-Mobile/John Legere for this feature, it is something they would consider adding.

I've already emailed them my opinion.

I call it "T-Mobile World"...
Much like the "Mobile Without Borders" that allows T-Mobile customers to use their plans in Mexico and Canada as if they were at home, you would be able to use your US T-Mobile plan (calling, texting and data allotment) in other countries with T-Mobile-owned carriers just like you were in the USA -- so LTE speeds until you hit your data cap (if you have one) then back to slower speeds for the remainder of the billing period. And obviously customers from those carriers would be allowed to roam in the USA with their plan from home as well.

To me, not knowing anything about anything, it doesn't seem like such a feature would be too expensive or too burdensome on the infrastructure to implement. But, it would bring amazing value to current (and soon-to-be new) customers.

It wouldn't be a long list of countries, but a good bit of Central/Eastern Europe would be included. According to Wikipedia, T-Mobile owns majority share in carriers in the following countries...
Albania (Telekom Albania)
Austria (T-Mobile)
Croatia (Hrvatski Telekom)
Czech Republic (T-Mobile)
Germany (Deutsche Telekom/T-Mobile)
Greece (OTE/Cosmote)
Hungary (Magyar Telekom)
Macedonia (Makedonski Telekom)
Montenegro (Cmogorski Telekom)
Netherlands (T-Mobile)
Poland (T-Mobile)
Romania (Combridge/Telekom Romania)
Slovakia (Slovak Telekom)
United States (T-Mobile/MetroPCS)
(Assuming this info is still correct - Wikipedia does also list EE/T-Mobile UK which is no longer part of DT/T-Mobile's holdings.)

If you think this sounds like something that should be added to T-Mobile plans, then please let them know! T-Mobile does listen...it was customer feedback to led to the introduction of the Call Protection (Scam/SPAM blocking) and Roadside Assistance on the SyncUp Drive "smart car" device.

So, please contact T-Mobile and John Legere to let them know you want this feature...
Email John - [email protected]
Tweet John - @JohnLegere
Tweet T-Mobile - @TMobile

(Hopefully this doesn't sound too much like an ad. I don't work for them. Just an enthusiastic user.)

Last edited by HockeyCoachBen; Apr 23, 2017 at 1:18 pm Reason: Spelling/Grammar (I'm a dummy!)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
To me, not knowing anything about anything, it doesn't seem like such a feature would be too expensive or too burdensome on the infrastructure to implement.
I think that sums up this idea pretty well.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Sounds like a lesser version of 3's Feel at Home feature.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I think that sums up this idea pretty well.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Sounds like a lesser version of 3's Feel at Home feature.
I think something similar or exactly like the 3 Feel at Home plan is the ultimate goal for a US carrier to implement. Doesn't seem like anyone will actually do it. But, if there were a company to do it, it would likely be T-Mobile.

A traveler can dream!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
If it is like 3 at home it could be not so good. 3 at home only allows 30 days of roaming. When I travel internationally I am gone for at least 15 days at a time. That is only 2 trips. 3 at home shuts you off of roaming for a full 12 months. Of course, you get your data back when you return to the U.S. That would be a complete disaster for me, and for the rest of you as well.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Last I used 3's Feel At Home I felt like I am at a 90s home given the speed I got...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by powerlifter
If it is like 3 at home it could be not so good. 3 at home only allows 30 days of roaming. When I travel internationally I am gone for at least 15 days at a time. That is only 2 trips. 3 at home shuts you off of roaming for a full 12 months. Of course, you get your data back when you return to the U.S. That would be a complete disaster for me, and for the rest of you as well.
Have you got a source for the 30 days total limit as I thought it was max 30days per trip or something like that? This is the T&C page http://www.three.co.uk/Privacy_Cooki...D1220482374514 and info page http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...se=Ext(EM38751) and can't find any reference to 30 days. I've done more than 30 days in one year on different trips and had no problems at all with Feel at Home. I calculated I've saved a packet with it because I had to speak/SMS a lot to the UK on one trip (about 120 mins spread over several days nowhere near the 3,000 minute limit though) and had worked out that without FAH it would've cost me over Ł120.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Apr 28, 2017 at 11:16 am
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by powerlifter
Don't know about 3's T&C on this, but T-Mobile just says (paraphrasing) "as long as a majority of your use is in the US". Not sure if that is per month, per year, etc?

Actually from this link...
Originally Posted by T-Mobile International FAQ
If the plan includes unlimited data and text, is there any limit?

As long as the majority of your usage is on T-Mobile’s U.S. network, you will experience unlimited data and text. Service may be terminated for excessive roaming, misuse, or abnormal use.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Have you got a source for the 30 days total limit as I thought it was max 30days per trip or something like that? This is the T&C page http://www.three.co.uk/Privacy_Cooki...D1220482374514 and info page http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...se=Ext(EM38751) and can't find any reference to 30 days. I've done more than 30 days in one year on different trips and had no problems at all with Feel at Home. I calculated I've saved a packet with it because I had to speak/SMS a lot to the UK on one trip (about 120 mins spread over several days nowhere near the 3,000 minute limit though) and had worked out that without FAH it would've cost me over Ł120.
From the T&C you posted.
Three reserves the right to suspend the international roaming when in a selected destination if the customer’s use exceeds any of the above limits for two (2) months within a twelve (12) month period. The service will be reinstated once the customer returns to the UK.
My bad I thought it was 30 days it is 60 days. Since I live in the U.S. it would do me no good to get 3. I had Vodaphone, but I lent it to my nephew where he lost it I have no idea.
It looks like you were using 3 in the UK which is ok. If you had been in Europe you only had 60 days before you would be cut off.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I'd rather have the Project FI style Full blast LTE everywhere I go. That is the ONLY reason I'm using FI not T-mo. I'd pay $150 a month for that service... hope you are listening @JohnLegere
Old May 7, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Tmo has trailed free lte in Europe in the past. I would love to see them do it again, but it seems a bit complex given their one rate philosophy to include only certain countries.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:07 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Sounds quite interesting and would be a very nice feature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.