Wiki Posts
Search

New portable monitors discovered: Fushilang

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
New portable monitors discovered: Fushilang

cowsgomoo2 over on [H]ardForum dropped a bombshell: the top six on this page https://shop57714512.world.taobao.com/

Advantages:
  1. IPS panels, 1080p resolution at least(!), one of the 13.3" is 2560x1440, one of the 17" is 4K. No "HD ready" 1366x768, no 1600x900, none of that, full HD, 2K, 4K, go big or go home.
  2. tripod mountable. One of the 13.3" has a 75mm VESA but honestly, a desktop tripod would Just Work(TM).
  3. use small 12V AC wall warts but also accept 5V so they can be used from USB chargers, the 2K 13.3" has a micro USB power input.
  4. have HDMI input, the 4K has DisplayPort too, none of that USB DisplayLink crap

Every possible box ticked. Basically, someone finally took all the good laptop displays, added an eDP driver circuit, CNC machined a case and put it on the market. Just as we have hoped for so, so long.

Unless you already have a 19.5" full HD tablet monitor (like my Sharp LL-S201A) you'd be very hard pressed to find anything better for your portable monitor needs.

And no, this is not an ad. This is just plain old me, jaw dropped.

[GUIDE] How to order from Taobao from outside of China and WITHOUT an Agent

Last edited by chx1975; Apr 18, 2017 at 4:37 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

So, what exactly is the excitement here? Some new monitors by some company I've never heard of?

I'll carry on carrying around a small HDMI adaptor so I plug into one of the hundreds of monitors available at a client site.

Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:58 am
Original Poster

If you ever wanted a secondary monitor on the go, there's nothing like these, plain and simple. Yes, client site has but does the hotel room? Airbnb? Plane seat?

Most portable monitors are low res, DisplayLink driven (=Windows or Mac only and requires a driver) crap. These are full HD, HDMI driven. Gechic has a few comparable models, 13" and 15" full HD ones but these are cheaper and better in many aspects both, especially with the tripod mount. Not to mention the 13" 2K and the 17" 4K one, that's just insane.

Last edited by chx1975; Apr 18, 2017 at 5:07 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
If you aren't doing heavy graphic design, wouldn't something like this do if you have one of the larger iPads?

http://lifehacker.com/the-best-secon...pad-1706351639
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gosha83
If you aren't doing heavy graphic design, wouldn't something like this do if you have one of the larger iPads?

Interesting!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I have been using Duet for a couple years and like it. I'm not doing intense graphical stuff, just nice to have email up on another screen while working on something else. I have a dual monitor setup at home so it is nice to have it when I travel.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Let's try this again. I am happy because:
  1. Standard video input from Android, Linux, Windows, Mac all.
  2. Standardized mounting.
  3. Sizes up to 17".

The Duet-on-an-iPad provides none of these. It's sure an interesting product but it's not in the same category. It also violates the fundamental "boycott Apple" principle I steadfastly hold on to but I refuse to go into that again and again. If you really want to go there, an old blog post http://drupal4hu.com/future/freedom.html tries to explain the why.

Last edited by chx1975; Apr 18, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS MVPG, WN CP
Originally Posted by chx1975
  3. Sizes up to 17".
Awesome, thanks for posting. I have been holding out on picking up an Asus ZenScreen because I keep figuring someone would release a 2K or 4K soon. These look perfect, though ordering and warranty are a concern. Still going to look into it, this could be the perfect solution for a travel external monitor.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Ordering is doable either direct or through proxies like https://taobaofocus.com/ . It's by far not ideal. I am definitely looking into selling these on Amazon, with the Fullfillment by Amazon service but the problem is, in order to make it viable, you'd need to start with at least a hundred and that's a lot of dough to risk.

Edit: since we had a bit of a misunderstanding: I am not an agent of theirs. I have been researching the portable monitor problem since 2011, showed multiple posts to the moderators here (perhaps External monitor solution is my oldest post regarding this problem) and other forums and I am simply happy to share this amazing new discovery which is one of the best solutions I've ever seen.

Last edited by chx1975; Apr 19, 2017 at 4:54 pm
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gosha83

Have this. Use it. It's pretty awesome.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Still off topic as it was four replies above.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I am definitely looking into selling these on Amazon, with the Fullfillment by Amazon service but the problem is, in order to make it viable, you'd need to start with at least a hundred and that's a lot of dough to risk.
I would absolutely buy at least one of these from a North American supplier.

I have an old 1024x600 display that I genuinely hate but I keep it around because it can be powered from just about any 12V source and take a VGA, RCA and some weird proprietary Toshiba interface.

Last edited by Error 601; Apr 25, 2017 at 1:31 am
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
  3. Sizes up to 17".

The Duet-on-an-iPad provides none of these. It's sure an interesting product but it's not in the same category. It also violates the fundamental "boycott Apple" principle I steadfastly hold on to but I refuse to go into that again and again. If you really want to go there, an old blog post http://drupal4hu.com/future/freedom.html tries to explain the why.
For those with Android devices there's iDisplay. While it probably still isn't the same as what you originally posted, it very well may be enough for a certain subset of people. And it's easier to buy a compatible tablet for most people, too.
Old May 13, 2017, 5:34 pm

If you ever wanted a secondary monitor on the go, there's nothing like these, plain and simple. Yes, client site has but does the hotel room? Airbnb? Plane seat?
Agreed.

The productivity difference I enjoy with 2 monitors vs 1 is substantial. I have 3 monitors in my home office setup - 1 portrait, 2 landscape.

Plus, the cost for the 13" looks like it's
... 775.00 Chinese Yuan equals $112 US Dollar as per Google.
Wow.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Has anybody actually ordered these and gotten hands-on experience with them? I too am intrigued by the possibilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.