New portable monitors discovered: Fushilang

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New portable monitors discovered: Fushilang

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
No. I'm trying to avoid migrating to USB-C for as long as I can.
I wouldn't want a machine with only USB-C like the new Apples, but it's seemed like a convenient thing on the machines I've had for the past year and a half.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nkedel
I wouldn't want a machine with only USB-C like the new Apples, but it's seemed like a convenient thing on the machines I've had for the past year and a half.
Until Logitech creates a USB-C unifying receiver, I have no interest in migrating to a notebook with only USB-C ports. My minimum is 2 USB-A ports, but I'd prefer to have 3.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Until Logitech creates a USB-C unifying receiver, I have no interest in migrating to a notebook with only USB-C ports. My minimum is 2 USB-A ports, but I'd prefer to have 3.
I've no interest in anything with only USB-C ports either; my current system has one USB-C and two USB-A, and that's OK and given how well USB-C docking works I wouldn't trade it for a third USB-A unless I had a physicall docking port (increasingly rare) OR trade one of the USB-A for another USB-C

Given the option of a 4th total port for (3rd) USB-A or another (2nd) USB-C, I'm not sure which I'd take. I wouldn't turn down either.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that Logitech hasn't convinced PC manufacturers to integrate a unified receiver.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
USB C discussion are at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...kit-usb-c.html we are trying to talk about monitors here
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:15 pm

Super basic question here...

Will these new monitors connect with iphone and ipad?

If so are special interconnect cables needed?

Thx
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bukzin
Super basic question here...

Will these new monitors connect with iphone and ipad?

If so are special interconnect cables needed?

Thx
Some iPhone/iPad models will be compatible with the one the OP posted, using an adapter like this: http://amzn.to/2tb4tqC

As far as I know, there's no adapter to the displayport+power-over-USB-C for the Asus I posted about.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
Either of the laptops have a USB-C+Displayport (or Thunderbolt) connector? The ASUS I listed might work well.
Not the same size of course, but a different type of option is www.packedpixels.com, which uses iPad Retina display panels (claimed to be the same panel and it looks it) connected to your laptop using Displayport and USB for power.

One or two of these can hang off most clamshell laptops (too heavy for some very thin and light devices) and emulate a multi monitor desktop setup quite faithfully. They use DisplayPort so performance is very good (and really dependent on the graphics of your machine not the panel or connection). These are hi-res panels, so scaling/font/button size can be an issue, but that depends on the content. The displays are quite nice, and two with a bracket are quite light, but if you are carrying an iPad anyway, Duet usually works well enough for light use (for me anyway).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:13 am
Original Poster

That packedpixels thing is nice, while there are converter boards all over the place, I was unaware of any actually assembled.

Now, a 14" laptop display (LP140WF3-SPD1) active area is 309.31×173.99 mm, one of these (LP097QX1-SPC1) is 196.608×147.456 mm which makes it quite the nice fit so two of these around a 14" display make for a roughly 604 * 174 mm very wide display which has roughly the same area as a 19.5" monitor (434.88mm x 238.68mm). But of course it'll probably much lighter and much easier to pack. So this truly is a nice find. The pixel density is much higher, too.

Now, you won't find two DisplayPorts on most laptops but a DP 1.2 MST hub supports up to 2560X1600@60Hz displays which is enough. Here is a very small one for normal Displayport to two DP: https://www.accellcables.com/product...isplay-mst-hub and here is one for USB C https://www.iogear.com/product/GUC3CMST/ so that's relatively easily solved below $100.

Last edited by chx1975; Jun 26, 2017 at 3:49 am
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by thecoldhandoftechnology
Not the same size of course, but a different type of option is www.packedpixels.com, which uses iPad Retina display panels (claimed to be the same panel and it looks it) connected to your laptop using Displayport and USB for power.
Wow that is slick. My only beef is that the use of an iPad Retina display is overkill. I bet they could've gone with a 1080 panel and cut the price by 50 quid. That would've made it an insta-buy for me.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:40 pm

Wow that is slick. My only beef is that the use of an iPad Retina display is overkill. I bet they could've gone with a 1080 panel and cut the price by 50 quid. That would've made it an insta-buy for me.
I think they'd still have to offer the Retina resolution as well, perhaps as a separate model. My 14" T460p has a WQHD display and I'm sure I would find the mismatched resolutions problematic.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Do you mean like https://www.amazon.com/Eyoyo-1920x12.../dp/B01LCULWOE this? Yes, the 12V part is annoying, I admit that but I would guess something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-DC-5V-to...4AAOSw~bFWJLkk would solve it easily. Don't use the speakers and you are done, 800mA should be plenty for the monitor alone.

Last edited by chx1975; Jun 28, 2017 at 7:20 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I think they'd still have to offer the Retina resolution as well, perhaps as a separate model. My 14" T460p has a WQHD display and I'm sure I would find the mismatched resolutions problematic.
Windows 10 (at least on current builds) does much, much better with DPI differences. I remember on 8.1 (and maybe early builds of 10?), using my then-QHD+ system with a non-HiDPI monitor was pretty much useless.

On the current builds of ten, my current 4K laptop does fine with dual 1920x1200 external monitors and most (not all) applications will re-scale when moved between them. Even those that don't will usually scale properly if restarted on a given screen.

Linux multi-DPI support depend on the desktop you use, and KDE is hopeless (indeed, they were very late to supporting HiDPI at all compared to Gnome or Cinnamon; both were promising but not fully working when I last tried them with the older machine, probably ~2 1/2 years ago.)
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:09 am

Windows 10 (at least on current builds) does much, much better with DPI differences. I remember on 8.1 (and maybe early builds of 10?), using my then-QHD+ system with a non-HiDPI monitor was pretty much useless.

On the current builds of ten, my current 4K laptop does fine with dual 1920x1200 external monitors and most (not all) applications will re-scale when moved between them. Even those that don't will usually scale properly if restarted on a given screen.

Linux multi-DPI support depend on the desktop you use, and KDE is hopeless (indeed, they were very late to supporting HiDPI at all compared to Gnome or Cinnamon; both were promising but not fully working when I last tried them with the older machine, probably ~2 1/2 years ago.)
You're having better luck than I am with Windows 10 and scaling. I switch between dual 24" 1920x1200 and a single 27" 4K (with the laptop screen as secondary) displays regularly, and it's by no stretch a seamless process. Ideally I'd like to just drop my laptop into its docking station at each location and get to work, but I normally would need to close all apps, log out and log in again, and then keep my fingers crossed that my applications will behave. I work in 3-4 virtualized environments (Windows 7/Ubuntu/CentOS/XP) concurrently and nothing ever really seems to look perfect without some tweaking.

I'm likely a fringe case, but such is my life
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which hypervisor do you use? None of the ones I've tried pass through DPI information properly, although VirtualBox has a pretty good solution (scaling menu option on the individual VM window... low tech, but works well.)
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:06 pm

Which hypervisor do you use? None of the ones I've tried pass through DPI information properly, although VirtualBox has a pretty good solution (scaling menu option on the individual VM window... low tech, but works well.)
Let's see, this week I'm up to VMWare Workstation Pro 12.5.7 build-5813279, running on Windows 10 Pro Version 1703. Admittedly, I haven't worked anywhere other than my (home-based) office in a while, so things may have improved. The 27" 4K display is at my vacation house, and I've only been able to get out there to mow the lawn lately

Before the end of 2016, though, I traveled back and forth between the two locations every week and experienced the issues mentioned previously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.