Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Any bluetooth app to message each other or a group in a plane or bus ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Just wondering if there is a way to message each other or a group while in-flight or on a bus / train

I assume you need to be within eyesight of each other ,

I remember reading of a Bluetooth messaging app used in the Hong Kong protests a few years ago , when Cell service was turned off in the protest area ,

And I guess everyone in your group would need to have this App installed "before" you got on the plane.

Might work good for a Tour leader to send instructions or meeting times.

Cheers
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
https://www.geckoandfly.com/22562/chat-without-internet-connection-mesh-network/
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Firechat works very well, and much more than just close proximity. I'm sure one could do F to Y cabin communications. I've done it at least 20 rows apart on various flights and in various areas where there was no cell communications. The nice thing is that it IS mesh, so if you have people spread out every 25-50 feet one can extend for miles. (see the use case at places like burning man.)
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Would Firechat manage from front of biz class to say middle of Y cabin on a widebody?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Xeno
Would Firechat manage from front of biz class to say middle of Y cabin on a widebody?
I would think so, especially with so little interference on a plane (or at least there is suppossed to be.. firechat will use WIFI as well which is much stronger than just bluetooth for reach.

If you are trying to communicate with someone you know, why not test it out on the ground?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
The situation I have envisioned involves a friend from a different continent. Yet there might be opportunity to test prior to the flights that lie ahead.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
This reminds me of the couple that has been together for 30 years but gets upset when they don't sit together on a 2 hour flight. You don't have to be together EVERY minute....
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
This reminds me of the couple that has been together for 30 years but gets upset when they don't sit together on a 2 hour flight. You don't have to be together EVERY minute....
Maybe the couple works and doesn't see each other as much as they'd like, and when they get on a plane together, it's to enjoy a vacation they've planned for the express purpose of spending some time together.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by javabytes
Maybe the couple works and doesn't see each other as much as they'd like, and when they get on a plane together, it's to enjoy a vacation they've planned for the express purpose of spending some time together.
But they don't love each other so much that they are willing to plan ahead so they don't get two middle seats and have to ask you to switch....

As for applicability to the original post, I doubt many of these people have been unable to text each other and have set aside this time on the flight so they can catch up (without sitting together and conversing like humans used to do, no less).

I mean, I don't care. It's not bad. They aren't bothering anyone. I just feel like

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Apr 20, 2017 at 1:43 pm
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Well I started this thread a few weeks ago ,

has anyone had a chance to try it on a plane yet ?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Well I started this thread a few weeks ago ,

has anyone had a chance to try it on a plane yet ?
which what? post #3 indicates that it has been used on flights before.. are you talking about whether or not an F to Y over say 20 rows has been tested? I'm thinking it's going to work fine.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nmenaker
which what? post #3 indicates that it has been used on flights before.. are you talking about whether or not an F to Y over say 20 rows has been tested? I'm thinking it's going to work fine.
yes where it has to go thru a few walls, the galley , toilets etc

we figure it would work in a straight line of sight ,

same question could also be asked going thru hotel walls etc

I just never tried going any distance with Bluetooth
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
yes where it has to go thru a few walls, the galley , toilets etc

we figure it would work in a straight line of sight ,

same question could also be asked going thru hotel walls etc

I just never tried going any distance with Bluetooth
Be sure to let us know what you find out.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:33 am

So did it work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.