Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

IPhone Doesn't Connect with Free Airport Wi-fi - Is There a Trick?

Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

My Macbook connects with SFO's free airport wi-fi after I accept terms. Not so my IPhone 6. After I select SFO FREE WI-FI, I never get a pop-up regarding the terms, and the connection is never established.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem? Thx.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I possibly have a similar problem with the wifi at a few clients offices & my local gym. My iPhone will "checkmark" connect to the wifi but not establish a data connection until I trigger it by opening the safari browser and send it to a page. Then the authentication triggers.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, if your phone doesn't prompt you just open your browser and go to any site to be redirected to the wifi login page.

Depending on how things are configured, trying to go to an https site for this might not work. If you have trouble, try going to a non-https site. I usually go to cnn.com for this.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Airplane mode on and off might help too, it sets the device searching again.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Very occasionally, I have power off/on iPad/iPhone to get them to reconnect with a previously known network. Not sure why, but that can work when nothing else does.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
The problem I have is that I don't get the check mark beside SFO FREE WIFI, just the circle going round and round. Don't have a problem getting a check for other strong wifi networks, or having my Macbook connect with SFO FREE WIFI.

Without a check mark, when I try to go to a site, I just get the message "No Internet Connection".
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Explore
The problem I have is that I don't get the check mark beside SFO FREE WIFI, just the circle going round and round. Don't have a problem getting a check for other strong wifi networks, or having my Macbook connect with SFO FREE WIFI.

Without a check mark, when I try to go to a site, I just get the message "No Internet Connection".
There are often 2 SFO networks, one is SFO Free Wifi ( or similar) one is SFO Free Wifi_5G (or similar). One will often connect when the other won't.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
I used to have issues in airports because I told Safari not to accept cookies. Once I enable it, I never had issues again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.