Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Pokefi MiFi Device

Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
What is PokeFi?
Pokefi is a type of "MiFi" (or mobile WiFi network) device.

What is the cost of using PokeFi?
The price is of the device ranges from US$125-200, depending on where it is bought and then costs US$3/day or US$3/GB for data.

Where can I use PokeFi?
It is compatible in 60 countries

Expert Advice: Beware inconsistency of connection speeds and battery life

What are some alternative options?
Competitors include GlocalMe and Skyroam. Substituting SIM cards in a phone is another method.

Of note:
  1. It does get warm for long usuage. So try to give good air circulation from time to time while using it.
  2. It doesn't charge well when it is in use. Turn the connection off before charging. Otherwise it may take forever to charge.
  3. Try to turn it on and establish internet connection while you are stationary. I once drive from Ottawa to Toronto and my wife turned it on while the car was in motion. It never established a connection for the whole trip. But if the connection was negotiated before I drive, it was good for the whole trip.
Print Wikipost

Pokefi MiFi Device

Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by phelansg
For the pre-loaded 5gigs and any subsequent topups, do you have to consume it in blocks (e.g. of 1 gig or 500mb) in each country, or does the balance carry over to another country? (e.g. 1.4 gig in Canada, then 2 gigs in US and 1.6 gigs in Japan)?
Looking at my Pokefi usage history and the usage remaining I would say no.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
so I took the leap and bought one...it arrived today. Speed is pretty much useless in Hawaii. I believe its on TMobile. I really hope it works better outside of the US (really the only place I'll use it)

I will carry both the Pokefi and my GlocalMe and try to use the pokefi first as its much cheaper.

to be fair my freedom pop sim is pretty useless here as well. Really slow but fast in Europe so I hope this pokefi is the same
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Does anyone know how the pokefi day-pass works? If you use it for 2 hours does an entire day of access time get deducted, or do you still have 22 hours to use at some later date?

By the way, I've just bought a Birdie Travel SIM which I saw advertised in Hong Kong. The rates for some countries in Asia seem quite good at HK$10 (about US$1.28) a day. I haven't actually tried it yet, so can't comment on how well it works.

https://www.birdie.com.hk/en/
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chris Blunt
Does anyone know how the pokefi day-pass works? If you use it for 2 hours does an entire day of access time get deducted, or do you still have 22 hours to use at some later date?

By the way, I've just bought a Birdie Travel SIM which I saw advertised in Hong Kong. The rates for some countries in Asia seem quite good at HK$10 (about US$1.28) a day. I haven't actually tried it yet, so can't comment on how well it works.

https://www.birdie.com.hk/en/
A day pass with Pokefi means one day of usage, subject to fair use policy, 00:01 to 23:59.

Birdie day pass is capped at 300M, then it is throttled to 128K.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:54 pm

I still dont see the benefit of the Day Pass over just buying 5GB of data for $15.00 which is good for 2 years in any of their supported countries.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:54 am

Well, after using it for over 3 months in various (supported) countries, I have a very mixed view on it. Currently awaiting a final reply from the Pokefi/SmartGo folks, but you will hear back from me soon...
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by timesnaps
Well, after using it for over 3 months in various (supported) countries, I have a very mixed view on it. Currently awaiting a final reply from the Pokefi/SmartGo folks, but you will hear back from me soon...
I've tried to use it in Canada recently with no luck. It just would not connect no matter how many times I reset it. Have you been there? Have you tried it?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How recently? It is my backup connection for Canada and I had no problems with it around the GTA during the summer; even at rural places where the second tier services provider have problems.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:13 pm
formerly ltabi

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Explorist
Hi All,

This thread is very informative. I saw this awhile back in a CX duty free catalog and was debating with myself whether I should get this or not. I mostly travel to Canada (Vancouver B.C specifically), Hong Kong, Japan, S.Korea and Taiwan. The price on the website is $169 with 5gb loaded) or $194 starter back with 5gb loaded so it is more expensive than the CX catalog.

I don't travel as often as others (1-2 trips a year) but would like to get my own pocket wifi. Anyone tested this out in Taiwan?

Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by traveling_newbie
Hi All,

This thread is very informative. I saw this awhile back in a CX duty free catalog and was debating with myself whether I should get this or not. I mostly travel to Canada (Vancouver B.C specifically), Hong Kong, Japan, S.Korea and Taiwan. The price on the website is $169 with 5gb loaded) or $194 starter back with 5gb loaded so it is more expensive than the CX catalog.

I don't travel as often as others (1-2 trips a year) but would like to get my own pocket wifi. Anyone tested this out in Taiwan?

Thanks!
It is $990HK at the shop in HKIA.

Taiwan Experience:
Turn on upon landing at TPE and was ready with green indicator before clearing immigration.
Very usable around Taipei. That is the limit of my Pokefi usage in Taiwan.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:33 pm
formerly ltabi

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks for the quick reply

Originally Posted by tentseller
It is $990HK at the shop in HKIA.

Taiwan Experience:
Turn on upon landing at TPE and was ready with green indicator before clearing immigration.
Very usable around Taipei. That is the limit of my Pokefi usage in Taiwan.
Thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately, I am nowhere near HKIA now and won't be there until March 2018 when I visit transit in HK. Glad to hear that it works well in TPE. I am hoping that it will work well in other regions in Taiwan (such as Kaohsiung).

Perhaps, I will buy one on board CX in March. Is the one brought in HKIA or CX duty free also loaded with 5gb?

Thanks!

Last edited by traveling_newbie; Sep 25, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:52 am

Report back from usage in Bay Area in California, Pokefi uses AT&T and Tmobile. Both are very slow after 2 days testing... Sometimes when it was on AT&T it was faster, but most of the times forget about refreshing your Instagram... Even Twitter pictures can take a long time to load. I decided to buy a Mifi because Freedompop turns out to be annoyingly useless in this area. Hopefully I will have better luck in Japan in a few days..
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by steinsgate
Report back from usage in Bay Area in California, Pokefi uses AT&T and Tmobile. Both are very slow after 2 days testing... Sometimes when it was on AT&T it was faster, but most of the times forget about refreshing your Instagram... Even Twitter pictures can take a long time to load. I decided to buy a Mifi because Freedompop turns out to be annoyingly useless in this area. Hopefully I will have better luck in Japan in a few days..
My brother got back from Japan this weekend said it worked decently there... let us know what you think!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by pokeFiBuyer
I've tried to use it in Canada recently with no luck. It just would not connect no matter how many times I reset it. Have you been there? Have you tried it?
Sorry, no. Not been there with Pokefi.

And after months of trying to contact them about the problems I am experiencing, I am no wiser to well it works, or wether I just have a faulty unit. Either way, I am not happy with it. There is no customer service, which is somewhat odd, seeing that HK customer service is generally pretty good. They go through the motions of replying, but then nothing comes of it.

Also, be warned, that if you buy it with the idea of having unfiltered internet access in China - something that normally work, when u use a foreign SIM card on roaming in China - this Pokefi unit will not do that. Once in China, even u on 4G most places, the same restrictions of the Great Firewall apply then as if you were using a local SIM. Defies the idea, as locals SIMS work out cheaper too.

Well, Pokefi, if you reading this. I have told you I be posting my expereince here, if there is no further reply. And you had three months to reply to my concerns about use of the unit. You didnt asnwer my phone calls, didnt follow up the wechat conversation, and never even bothered replying to my email, after the initial "we received your email, and will reply shortly".

Could be soo good, and a grewat idea - but looks like complete failure to me
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:16 am

btw, just found this whilst looking for a Japan option: https://www.mobal.com/japan-sim-card/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.