Pokefi MiFi Device

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel
What is PokeFi?
Pokefi is a type of "MiFi" (or mobile WiFi network) device.

What is the cost of using PokeFi?
The price is of the device ranges from US$125-200, depending on where it is bought and then costs US$3/day or US$3/GB for data.

Where can I use PokeFi?
It is compatible in 60 countries

Expert Advice: Beware inconsistency of connection speeds and battery life

What are some alternative options?
Competitors include GlocalMe and Skyroam. Substituting SIM cards in a phone is another method.

Of note:
  1. It does get warm for long usuage. So try to give good air circulation from time to time while using it.
  2. It doesn't charge well when it is in use. Turn the connection off before charging. Otherwise it may take forever to charge.
  3. Try to turn it on and establish internet connection while you are stationary. I once drive from Ottawa to Toronto and my wife turned it on while the car was in motion. It never established a connection for the whole trip. But if the connection was negotiated before I drive, it was good for the whole trip.
Print Wikipost

Pokefi MiFi Device

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by traveling_newbie
Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever needed a password reset? I completely forgot the password for my pokefi and I have sent an email requesting the password reset. Does anyone know long it takes for them to get back to me?

Thanks!
Lisa
I found that contacting them on facebook messenger resulted in a fast reply. Try that.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:13 pm
formerly ltabi

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by prmetime
I did - and in the middle of a trip. I just reverted back to the password on the box the pokefi was in and it worked.
I tried using the default password but it didn't work. I wonder if it is because I changed the name of my device

Originally Posted by yagedk
I found that contacting them on facebook messenger resulted in a fast reply. Try that.
Oohhhh, I didn't think of that. I will give it a try.

Thanks for the replies
Will keep you guys posted!
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:30 pm

I tried using the default password but it didn't work. I wonder if it is because I changed the name of my device

Oohhhh, I didn't think of that. I will give it a try.

Thanks for the replies
Will keep you guys posted!
Try removing battery for a minute and reinserting. Then use password on box.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:44 pm
formerly ltabi

Thanks for advising, I tried it yesterday with no luck.

They have emailed me with the directions to reset my password!

Thanks for your help

Lisa
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:00 am

Thanks for advising, I tried it yesterday with no luck.

They have emailed me with the directions to reset my password!

Thanks for your help

Lisa
I'm glad you got it working. Would you mind sharing the directions just in the event I need them in the future?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:27 pm
formerly ltabi

Originally Posted by prmetime
I'm glad you got it working. Would you mind sharing the directions just in the event I need them in the future?
I just PMed you
prmetime likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:37 am

Hi all, I just bought my Pokefi device and so far, it's working well. I just have a question: If I have some data left over from the 5gb purchase and I purchase the day pass, will it continue to consume data from my 5gb or will it automatically switch to the unlimited daypass and I can use my 5gb for another trip? Also, in which timezone does the daypass go by? I read that it will expire on midnight of the same day: does it follow the timezone of the country I'm going to or something else? Thanks a lot!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Delta Gold, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
I was wondering if anyone has experience using the Pokefi in India? They list it as " Testing Coverage, network may not stable" on the website, and I was curious if it is usable at all, or pretty much non-existent?

Thank you!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:14 am

Been using the pokefi in Okinawa, Taiwan, South Korea and Vietnam so far. South Korea, Okinawa and Taiwan all had excellent coverage. Pokefi worked well in the South of Vietnam but connection was spotty in Hanoi and surrounding areas.

Other observations: Battery drains fast with multiple users connected to the device, and in areas where the unit has to hunt for a signal constantly.

I also had an issue where the unit would turn itself off several times a day. This was frustrating, especially because this is a replacement unit as the first unit didn't work at all. It turned out to be the battery which doesn't have a tight enough fit with the connector, causing the unit to turn off if the device is moved rapidly or shaken during transport. Instead of retuning the unit, I chose to cut a small piece of hard paper (from a magazine cover) and insert it between the battery and the unit (in the opposite end of the battery connector), causing the battery to sit tighter in the unit. After this, I haven't had any unwanted power-offs so far.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:41 pm

Thank you for those experiences. So I wonder if in India it is roughly similar to the coverage in Vietnam? (IE. Works in some cities and not in others)
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by flyaow
Thank you for those experiences. So I wonder if in India it is roughly similar to the coverage in Vietnam? (IE. Works in some cities and not in others)
As I understand it, without being an expert at all, SmartGo makes deals with providers all over the world, so they might have a deal with one provider in one part of a country and another provider in another part of the country. Or the provider they have a deal with could have poorer coverage in certain areas. So it's hard to make any guesses as to where the coverage is good or bad. Since Vietnam isn't one of their testing countries and the reception still wasn't optimal, my guess would be that India won't be optimal either, since it's mentioned as a testing country.

However, it's still an awesome gadget to have because it works in so many countries.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by yagedk
As I understand it, without being an expert at all, SmartGo makes deals with providers all over the world, so they might have a deal with one provider in one part of a country and another provider in another part of the country. Or the provider they have a deal with could have poorer coverage in certain areas. So it's hard to make any guesses as to where the coverage is good or bad. Since Vietnam isn't one of their testing countries and the reception still wasn't optimal, my guess would be that India won't be optimal either, since it's mentioned as a testing country.

However, it's still an awesome gadget to have because it works in so many countries.
Good point. I'll probably pick one up and see how it works, but think about alternative backups in case it doesn't.
Old May 12, 2019, 4:09 pm

Pokefi Experience

I bought my Pokefi one year ago. Other than the connection time, I am totally satisfied with the device.

I am using it instead of my data plan in Ottawa. Yes, it takes between 3-5 minutes to connect so I train myself to turn it on before I am out the door. Once it is on, I seldom turn it off until I am home again to avoid the trouble of re-connection. When there is free wifi like MacDonald or Tim Horton, I just switch the connection to the free wifi. When the free wifi is not available, my phone will switch back to Pokefi automatically.

Last month, I lost internet, tv, and home phone (they are all on Rogers cable) for five days. I didn't want to call Rogers service because I am on pay-as-you-go plan. Everyone knows how long it takes for Rogers to respond. I used live chat to report my connection problem. I used Pokefi for the whole time for external communication. Phone calls (whatsapp), web browsing, and some streaming. I used about seven gigs for that five days. Not a problem.

I am travelling in the Balkens right now. Romania, North Macedonia, Albania and Montenegro. Pokefi worked in all four countries. However, I only had 3G connections in some places. Whenever I crossed borders, the connection would drop from one country and re-connect to the other. It took upto 10 minutes for reconnection sometimes. The battery lasted between 7-9 hours each day.

I noticed some anolmalies with the device:
1. It does get warm for long usuage. So try to give good air circulation from time to time while using it.
2. It doesn't charge well when it is in use. Turn the connection off before charging. Otherwise it may take forever to charge.
3. Try to turn it on and establish internet connection while you are stationary. I once drive from Ottawa to Toronto and my wife turned it on while the car was in motion. It never established a connection for the whole trip. But if the connection was negotiated before I drive, it was good for the whole trip.

I also asked tech support regarding how the device pick what package to use if I have multiple packages purchased. They told me the device will switch to the package with the least expiration date. For example, if you are using the default 15 gig that came with the device, and you buy a new 15 gig package, Pokefi will switch to the new package because its expiration date is two years and the default package is ten years. If you buy a one-day package, it will switch to the one-day package because it'll expire in 24 hours.

I also noticed on their supported country web site, problematic connections are experienced in Canada.
prmetime likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by flyaow
Good point. I'll probably pick one up and see how it works, but think about alternative backups in case it doesn't.
Just reporting back on this. I can confirm it worked very well in Bangalore, India even though it is listed as a testing country. I am quite happy with the device, other than the amount of time it takes to charge (it is slow compared to phones). Not sure if that is an issue I need to get replaced, or if it is normal for it to take several hours to charge.

Perhaps I've gotten spoiled by fast charging phones.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
I love my PokeFi.

I've now used it in

Japan - Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, Kobe, Kyoto, Hokkaido
Hong Kong, Macau
South Korea - Seoul
France - Paris
Belgium - Brussels and Bruges
Netherlands - Amsterdam
Germany - Berlin
Greece - Athens
Singapore
Canada - Vancouver, Toronto
England - London
Spain - Madrid, Barcelona, Toledo, Segovia, Girona
Taiwan - Taipei
Indonesia - Bali
New Zealand - Auckland, Waikato, Rotoura

I just bought a second one as a gift for a relative who has been borrowing mine

Last edited by cboy; Aug 13, 2019 at 8:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.