Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best dual sim phone?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Just as a warning, the T-Mobile version of the OnePlus 6T is only single SIM and not dual SIM. You may want to continue buying direct from OnePlus if dual SIM is important.
freecia likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just as an FYI, iOS 12.1, released today, enables the eSIM on the iPhone XS and XR. Apparently T-mobile and AT&T support eSIM already. Verizon announced it will not activate eSIMs until Apple fixes some bugs. It says it will be done before the end of the year.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Just as an FYI, iOS 12.1, released today, enables the eSIM on the iPhone XS and XR. Apparently T-mobile and AT&T support eSIM already. Verizon announced it will not activate eSIMs until Apple fixes some bugs. It says it will be done before the end of the year.
Not until later this year on T-Mobile and AT&T.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Has anyone had success activating an esim from any provider on any iPhone? I tried activating one on ubigi for the heck of it and I’m getting an error that the esim isn’t valid.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So having got the Oreo 8.1 update to my G5 a couple of weeks back, I got back some storage and had almost 2GB free - which saved me having to go through deliberating over what next phone to get. Or so I thought. All of a sudden I got the "you are running low on storage" message. Very strange I thought. So I went through the apps and the noticeable one that had increased in size was Google Photos. I do not know if this is a known problem or not but as I send all pics/vids to the SD card I could not understand it. Nor could I find, using either the laptop or file manager etc, what on earth was filling it up. So, backup of phone in hand I decided to uninstall updates to Photos and see what happened. Storage went from >1.3GB to about 75MB. All the photos loaded correctly, I then thought that I would give it a go applying all the updates back on again (and these were ones I already had applied so I thought that I would be reproducing the issue) but it is now behaving itself and is at about 98MB now. Just wanted to mention that in case anyone has had the same issue.

On a similar note, has anyone tried on the G5 (or any Android that allows it) using the "format internal storage" to turn the SD card into potential storage for apps. I know some apps cannot change their storage to the SD card and wondered how much it bought people if they had tried it as I am trying to avoid buying a phone for now. I am interested in how much it freed up as well as any problems that may have been noticed. I know you need a speedy little SD card, I'm not a gamer so it is not going to be used for that if it makes a difference.
BSpeaker likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: HAL Platinum, JetBlue, KrisFlyer, NWA, USAirways, Alaska Air
In US not all phones allow GSM. That's why - OK no one snicker - I'm still on a Blackberry Z10. I actually love this dang phone. Dropped it many times and it's still fine. No issues with connectivity. No issues with swapping out cards in other countries. So, it's a bit beat up and the "OMG That is SOOOO LAST SEASON" folks roll their eyes at me, but, hey, it's paid for. It works. I know how to use it. AND the kicker, I'm sick and tired of adding to the used-tech-landfill problem.

So, I may stick with my Blackberry as long as my carrier lets me.

Oh, and just for grins, I also carry my old motorola flip phone which is still hooked up to a number via Ting.com. I just transferred my landline number for people like my Mom (age 97) who can't seem to remember or reprogram new numbers. I LOVE LOVE LOVE to pull the flip phone out when a Millenial asks me to look at something on my phone or wants to text me something. It's worth the extra $10 a month just to have it. LOL
tentseller likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BSpeaker
In US not all phones allow GSM. That's why - OK no one snicker - I'm still on a Blackberry Z10. I actually love this dang phone. Dropped it many times and it's still fine. No issues with connectivity. No issues with swapping out cards in other countries. So, it's a bit beat up and the "OMG That is SOOOO LAST SEASON" folks roll their eyes at me, but, hey, it's paid for. It works. I know how to use it. AND the kicker, I'm sick and tired of adding to the used-tech-landfill problem.

I'm guessing T-Mobile? Because AT&T killed their 2G network fairly recently and all.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by BSpeaker

Oh, and just for grins, I also carry my old motorola flip phone which is still hooked up to a number via Ting.com. I just transferred my landline number for people like my Mom (age 97) who can't seem to remember or reprogram new numbers. I LOVE LOVE LOVE to pull the flip phone out when a Millenial asks me to look at something on my phone or wants to text me something. It's worth the extra $10 a month just to have it. LOL
Even with the carrier shutting down BIS the BB is still very usable. I can still send msg on my BB using the keyboard one-handed without looking at it with 99.9% accuracy.

Do you have one of these too?
Motorola
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
On a similar note, has anyone tried on the G5 (or any Android that allows it) using the "format internal storage" to turn the SD card into potential storage for apps. I know some apps cannot change their storage to the SD card and wondered how much it bought people if they had tried it as I am trying to avoid buying a phone for now. I am interested in how much it freed up as well as any problems that may have been noticed. I know you need a speedy little SD card, I'm not a gamer so it is not going to be used for that if it makes a difference.
By now, most phones that have an SD card slot allow that -- it was first introduced in 6.0 or something like that. I usually don't do it, because I *want* photos going to the card to be accessible (I've had phones die, and being able to pull the card saved the photos), and I want to be able to pop the card out to dump media on it -- but on the older travel phone that my daughter uses (an Honor 5X) we used the expand internal storage because it's encrypted and it allows her to cache more music/video from streaming apps which won't download to the SD. Seems to work fine, although it's a relatively slow phone by present standards.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:02 am

Bringing this thread back up ,
anyone using the Motorola G7 power with dual Sims ? Model seems to be 1955-2
It seems to have the LTE bands or USA , Asia and Europe , plus it's only around $200.

Just wondering how the dual SIM set-up works , are both Sims LTE ? Can you receive a call on either sim ?

These have a large 5000mah battery, so last over a day

Thanks for your thoughts
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
Bringing this thread back up ,
anyone using the Motorola G7 power with dual Sims ? Model seems to be 1955-2
It seems to have the LTE bands or USA , Asia and Europe , plus it's only around $200.

Just wondering how the dual SIM set-up works , are both Sims LTE ? Can you receive a call on either sim ?

These have a large 5000mah battery, so last over a day

Thanks for your thoughts
Not a direct answer to your question - but you are looking at some non-US version, the US version has a single SIM.

So that means that while you are paying full price for the phone, most likely you will not have a warranty that is good in the US. Given that many credit cards extend the manufacturer's warranty by a year or two, that is a significant deficit.

I also suspect that the model you are looking at will not work on Verizon or Sprint, will not work on Tmobile bands 12 or 71, and probably lacks some other tweaks that would make it fully compatible with US carriers (HD Voice, VoLTE, etc.)
König likes this.

Last edited by BigFlyer; Apr 16, 2019 at 10:25 am
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:36 am

Thanks for your reply ,
I would be using this phone most of the time for overseas use , and it needs to have bands 1-3-7 at least and bands 8 and 20 would be nice.

I have an international prepaid AIS sim that works in Asia, Europe and USA so sometimes I would use it in the USA on T-Mobile or AT&T ,

I am still using my Nexus 6 and I like the size for my old eyes .but the Nexus has a few cracks but still works good for work.

Anyway the things that pull me to this phone is all the LTE bands it has , the 6 inch screen and the large 5000 mAh battery ,
It seems that the E5 plus has about the same LTE bands , screen size and 5000mah battery.

Are there any other Motorolas to look at around $200 ?

Thanks again for your thoughts
Old May 20, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I turned in my Nexus 6 for an upgrade and I wish I had not. That was a very good phone.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
If I have US ATT iphone w/ dual sim capability and put a UK Three sim in the second slot, can I turn off the ATT sim while traveling abroad? I don't want to end up with the $10/day international calling fee!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:17 am
Formerly known as mmihalik

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
If I have US ATT iphone w/ dual sim capability and put a UK Three sim in the second slot, can I turn off the ATT sim while traveling abroad? I don't want to end up with the $10/day international calling fee!
Yes.

This is what I've done when I've been able to secure a local SIM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.