Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best dual sim phone?

Best dual sim phone?

Old Jun 30, 19, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post
Yes.

This is what I've done when I've been able to secure a local SIM.
Excellent. Iíve been debating which iPhone to get and if I can do this, I think it sways me to the dual sim version. Once I lost my original sim during a trip and it was annoying not having it when I got back.
Old Jul 1, 19, 10:23 pm

Very happy with my Samsung Note 9 dual sim N9600, it supports:
1. Dual 4G simultaneously.
2. VoLTE and Wifi Calling (I'm using a TracFone T-Mobile SIM card for this)
3. An activated Verizon SIM (Need to activate the SIM card in other Verizon phone first. No VoLTE or Wifi Calling for Verizon in N9600).
4. TD-LTE in some countries. (Especially in Hong Kong and China)
5. Samsung Pay (Not US version, but it still supports adding US credit cards)

All features are available without root with the most recent software update. Some features above might NOT be supported in the N960F Exynos version. So please choose N9600 (Qualcomm) version of Note 9.
Old Jul 3, 19, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
If I have US ATT iphone w/ dual sim capability and put a UK Three sim in the second slot, can I turn off the ATT sim while traveling abroad? I don't want to end up with the $10/day international calling fee!
Yes. You can also disable data for your other sim if I can remember correctly.
Old Jul 3, 19, 8:25 am

So the AT&T iphone actually has slots for 2 sims?

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
If I have US ATT iphone w/ dual sim capability and put a UK Three sim in the second slot, can I turn off the ATT sim while traveling abroad? I don't want to end up with the $10/day international calling fee!
Old Jul 3, 19, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by mrcamp View Post
So the AT&T iphone actually has slots for 2 sims?
No, the latest art xs/xsmax/xr has one esim and one physical sim slot

https://www.att.com/esupport/article...less/KM1288682

The Chinese latest iPhones have two physical Sims, but you can't find it easily in usa

https://support.apple.com/en-hk/HT209086
Old Sep 16, 19, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal View Post
Thanks for your reply ,
I would be using this phone most of the time for overseas use , and it needs to have bands 1-3-7 at least and bands 8 and 20 would be nice.

I have an international prepaid AIS sim that works in Asia, Europe and USA so sometimes I would use it in the USA on T-Mobile or AT&T ,

I am still using my Nexus 6 and I like the size for my old eyes .but the Nexus has a few cracks but still works good for work.

Anyway the things that pull me to this phone is all the LTE bands it has , the 6 inch screen and the large 5000 mAh battery ,
It seems that the E5 plus has about the same LTE bands , screen size and 5000mah battery.

Are there any other Motorolas to look at around $200 ?

Thanks again for your thoughts
was looking at a backup phone, saw this brand

Umidigi f1 , usually around $170 (4GB/128GB)
Umidigi s3 pro, usually around $240 (6GB/128GB)

Both contain 5150mAh, 6.3" LCD FullHD, NFC, dual SIM dual standby (though 2nd sim shared with microSD), and very good LTE specs with some VoLTE support, works partly on Verizon too(CDMA voice and lte works, but not volte supposedly)

S3 pro is cermaic and much heavier though, P70 vs P60 and cameras slightly different but both suckish

Mediatek CPU though. Some people complain about bad qc/units and ram management issues on F1, people with working devices seem happy

https://howardforums.com/showthread....ok-pretty-good

On xda, some people run GSI ROMs on there F1/s3 pro with minor issues (volte typically not working. hotspot not working on earlier GSi but may be working on newer GSI builds, known issue with other GSi devices too), so support longevity isn't that big of a problem if you are technical enough

Umidigi X, release date Sep 2019 (4GB/128GB), should be around $200, 6.3" AMOLED but only 720p. has LTE band 66/71 (that the ones above doesn't)

Umidig F2, release date ?Oct 2019 ?specs, likely have 66/71 too

Last edited by paperwastage; Sep 16, 19 at 7:47 pm
Old Sep 17, 19, 9:05 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
was looking at a backup phone, saw this brand

Umidigi f1 , usually around $170 (4GB/128GB)
Umidigi s3 pro, usually around $240 (6GB/128GB)

Both contain 5150mAh, 6.3" LCD FullHD, NFC, dual SIM dual standby (though 2nd sim shared with microSD), and very good LTE specs with some VoLTE support, works partly on Verizon too(CDMA voice and lte works, but not volte supposedly)

S3 pro is cermaic and much heavier though, P70 vs P60 and cameras slightly different but both suckish

Mediatek CPU though. Some people complain about bad qc/units and ram management issues on F1, people with working devices seem happy

https://howardforums.com/showthread....ok-pretty-good

On xda, some people run GSI ROMs on there F1/s3 pro with minor issues (volte typically not working. hotspot not working on earlier GSi but may be working on newer GSI builds, known issue with other GSi devices too), so support longevity isn't that big of a problem if you are technical enough

Umidigi X, release date Sep 2019 (4GB/128GB), should be around $200, 6.3" AMOLED but only 720p. has LTE band 66/71 (that the ones above doesn't)

Umidig F2, release date ?Oct 2019 ?specs, likely have 66/71 too
Got the F1 back in July and have a couple of months experience plus one trip to the UK under my belt. Given the limitations expected with any sub-$200 phone, I'm pleased with my experience so far. Plenty of onboard storage, reasonably fast, the screen is fine, the camera is acceptable for my limited purposes, and the battery is good for more than a day. In the UK, I used the phone extensively as my GPS plus used a golf app during numerous rounds of golf that requires extensive screen time. The battery still did not go down below 30% on any day. That's more than enough battery power for me as I always recharge at night.

I also had good coverage in the UK using a giffgaff SIM on the O2 network. The only time I ever was completely without a signal on a trip that took me from the northern Highlands through Inverness, Aberdeen, and St. Andrews to Edinburgh was near Elgin when I played on a little nine-hole course in a cove of cliffs and dunes. I have also had no problems using H2O Wireless in the US on the AT&T network, but my travels here haven't taken me any place as remote. Of course, signal reception is certainly aided by the multiple bands on which the F1 can receive a signal. Call quality on Google Voice when in Scotland according to the people I called was definitely better than on previous phones, and I noticed less "echo" in those calls. One thing I really appreciated--data can be used and calls can be made from either SIM so there's no need to move the SIM from one slot to the other when you get to your new country. You just make the change in settings regarding the preferred SIM for calls and data, and you're good to go.

There are negatives. I've had issues with the fingerprint reader, as many others on Amazon have reported--it seems to have more recognition problems than the Blu Vivo XL it replaced. The power button is placed almost perfectly--it's almost exactly midway down the right side of the phone--so that I seem to squeeze it unintentionally when I'm carrying objects in one hand and handling the phone with the other, causing a reboot. Some Amazon reviews complain about spontaneous reboots--I haven't had that problem and wonder whether the reboots aren't related to the location of the power button. I've also noticed that occasionally, signal reception is significantly reduced as soon as I step indoors. Although I have no complaints with the camera, my camera needs are minimal; many expert and user reviews have strongly criticized the camera. And some have criticized the candy bar styling of the screen, taller than wider, so that it's less of a "phablet" than some people like nowadays, but since I want a phone that comfortably fits in my pocket, I don't consider this a problem.

For anyone who operates in the off brand phone universe, there are two issues that I cannot yet address. First, updates. I learned with Blu that the Android you get when you buy the phone is likely the Android you'll have so long as you have the phone. Of course, Android 10 is just rolling out so I don't know yet whether Umidigi will provide this update. That generally doesn't mean much to me as I tend to replace phones approximately every 18 months so I'm never more than one OS behind. Second, the phone's durability. I like the build quality, but with no track record, my ultimate judgment on this phone may very well depend on whether it will continue to work for the lifespan I need.

Despite these reservations, I very much recommend the UMIDIGI F1 for those looking for a budget phone with dual SIM capability. I think this phone delivers strong value
paperwastage likes this.

Last edited by lwildernorva; Sep 17, 19 at 8:55 pm
Old Sep 17, 19, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva View Post
Got the F1 back in July and have a couple of months experience plus one trip to the UK under my belt. Given the limitations expected with any sub-$200 phone, I'm pleased with my experience so far. Plenty of onboard storage, reasonably fast, the screen is fine, the camera is acceptable for my limited purposes, and the battery is good for more than a day. In the UK, I used the phone extensively as my GPS plus used a golf app during numerous rounds of golf that requires extensive screen time. The battery still did not go down below 30% on any day. That's more than enough battery power for me as I always recharge at night.

I also had good coverage in the UK using a giffgaff SIM on the O2 network. The only time I ever was completely without a signal on a trip that took me from the northern Highlands through Inverness, Aberdeen, and St. Andrews to Edinburgh was near Elgin when I played on a little nine-hole course in a cove of cliffs and dunes. I have also had no problems using H2O Wireless in the US on the AT&T network, but my travels here haven't taken me any place as remote. Of course, signal reception is certainly aided by the multiple bands on which the F1 can receive a signal. Call quality on Google Voice when in Scotland according to the people I called was definitely better than on previous phones, and I noticed less "echo" in those calls. One thing I really appreciated--data can be used and calls can be made from either SIM so there's no need to move the SIM from one slot to the other when you get to your new country. You just make the change in settings regarding the preferred SIM for calls and data, and you're good to go.

There are negatives. I've had issues with the fingerprint reader, as many others on Amazon have reported--it seems to have more recognition problems than the Blu Vivo XL it replaced. The power button is placed almost perfectly so that I seem to squeeze it unintentionally when I'm carrying objects in one hand and handling the phone with the other, causing a reboot. Some Amazon reviews complain about spontaneous reboots--I haven't had that problem and wonder whether the reboots aren't related to the location of the power button. I've also noticed that occasionally, signal reception is significantly reduced as soon as I step indoors. Although I have no complaints with the camera, my camera needs are minimal; many expert and user reviews have strongly criticized the camera. And some have criticized the candy bar styling of the screen, taller than wider, so that it's less of a "phablet" than some people like nowadays, but since I want a phone that comfortably fits in my pocket, I don't consider this a problem.

For anyone who operates in the off brand phone universe, there are two issues that I cannot yet address. First, updates. I learned with Blu that the Android you get when you buy the phone is likely the Android you'll have so long as you have the phone. Of course, Android 10 is just rolling out so I don't know yet whether Umidigi will provide this update. That generally doesn't mean much to me as I tend to replace phones approximately every 18 months so I'm never more than one OS behind. Second, the phone's durability. I like the build quality, but with no track record, my ultimate judgment on this phone may very well depend on whether it will continue to work for the lifespan I need.

Despite these reservations, I very much recommend the UMIDIGI F1 for those looking for a budget phone with dual SIM capability. I think this phone delivers strong value
thanks for the info

Amazon has the s3 pro for $204 during a lighting deal, going to try that (f1 was $170, happy to spend $34 for the extra ram)
Old Sep 17, 19, 11:47 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, Marriott, Choice Diamond, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
thanks for the info

Amazon has the s3 pro for $204 during a lighting deal, going to try that (f1 was $170, happy to spend $34 for the extra ram)
I almost got the F1 Play because of the 6GB RAM, but I haven't felt that the regular F1 is too slow.
Old Sep 23, 19, 2:51 pm

BTW , umidigi f2 was officially announced, USD$250 releasing on 10/14

https://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi...ification.html

Page says this, not sure if it's implying dual SIM dual active LTE/voice? Haven't kept up with how dual sim works with LTE, is it possible for a dual standby device to keep both LTE sessions open?

Dual SIM use:
Both SIM slots are compatible with 4G, support 4G VoLTE in both slots simultaneously.
Also, dual SIM and microSD can all be used simultaneously, most of their recent phones share sim2 slot with microsd

My s3 pro should be coming tomorrow

Last edited by paperwastage; Sep 23, 19 at 3:16 pm
Old Sep 23, 19, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
BTW , umidigi f2 was officially announced, USD$250 releasing on 10/14

https://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi...ification.html

Page says this, not sure if it's implying dual active LTE/voice?
I'm not sure that implies dual active support. For instance, this claims that the OnePlus 6 has dual VoLTE but I'm pretty sure mine still shuts off one of the SIM cards during a call.
Old Sep 23, 19, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
I'm not sure that implies dual active support. For instance, this claims that the OnePlus 6 has dual VoLTE but I'm pretty sure mine still shuts off one of the SIM cards during a call.
https://www.techmesto.com/dual-sim-w...ported-phones/

Yeah, DSDV (dual SIM dual volte) is new technology...

I was wrong, not dual active, is dual standby and only the VoLTE voice part can be simultaneous

How is the VoLTE IMS compatibility for these unofficial devices? I know Verizon and AT&T doesn't like it and VoLTE typically doesn't work on these devices- how about operators in other countries?
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Sep 23, 19 at 3:20 pm
Old Sep 29, 19, 9:49 am

I noticed iOS 13 adds the ability for dual SIM simultaneous calls and call waiting across carriers if WiFi calling is enabled. It also allows iMessages and FaceTime on both numbers now.

Still no unique ring tones though.
Old Sep 29, 19, 1:03 pm

i got my umidigi s3 pro

wifi calling AND voLTE works for t-mobile US, surprisingly....

camera isn't great (as expected), but I'm content for $204

dont have another T-mobile/other SIM to verify DSDV VoLTE though
Old Sep 30, 19, 11:43 am

I switched to a dual SIM Huawei P30 Pro couple of months ago finally giving up my 5-yr old OnePlus One. Main SIM is in UK (+ Europe) with the second SIM for India which I visit frequently. My experience so far has been very good with exceptional battery life (day and a half routinely), very good camera experience and general usability. I am not a fan of EMUI though and replaced it with Nova within a few days.

People have asked if I am not bothered about the possible lack of updates but this phone does come within the update window and I do believe that eventually, Huawei will make a deal with the US government.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: