Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A Silver, Free Agent
recent reviews

https://thedroidguy.com/2018/08/5-be...n-2018-1084664

https://www.androidauthority.com/bes...phones-529470/
Old Sep 16, 18, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Her Majesty's Prison UK, scheduled release date June 21st
Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
In the first link they have a Moto something or other. I have a Moto G5 and will never buy another Moto/Lenovo product again. Updates seem non-existent, as is their support.
Old Sep 18, 18, 4:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A Silver, Free Agent
Thats odd. We have the Moto X4 Project Fi phone and have been getting monthly updates, and have the latest Oreo. But its not dual sim
Old Oct 25, 18, 4:08 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I have a Moto 4 dual SIM and it updates quite often.

Only when on WiFi, which is how it set it.
Old Oct 26, 18, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Her Majesty's Prison UK, scheduled release date June 21st
Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
In the first link they have a Moto something or other. I have a Moto G5 and will never buy another Moto/Lenovo product again. Updates seem non-existent, as is their support.
The updates are I am referring to are system updates and finally they just started rolling out Oreo 8.1 which is the flavour I now have. And the phone is better for it. Got back some internal storage to the tune of about ~1.5GB it seems.
Old Oct 26, 18, 8:06 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Oh well, I was looking forward to getting an iPhone XR after having Samsung Androids for years (just wanted a change) and would have liked the dual-SIM option but on further investigation none of the three operators that I use have the eSIM option on their networks (O2 in the UK, Bouyges in France and Spark in NZ for visitor SIM) so it's a no go for me unless I can get to HKG at some time and buy the physical dual-SIM version there (Apple HKG will only ship within HKG).
Old Oct 26, 18, 8:09 am

I purchased the Moto G5 International version at Amazon for ~$200 two years ago. It met all my requirements.

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g5-8454.php

- Wide bands and dual sims. Worked perfectly in Hong Kong, China, Thailand, Sicily, and Spain so far.

- Wifi hotspot. Great for using my tablet when on a bus/train without wifi.

- 5 inch screen. I dislike big screens.

- 13MP camera.

- 32/3 GB memory and microSD slot.

- Replaceable battery. One battery can last for a full day, and I carry an extra one just in case. Less weight and bulk than carrying a battery pack. Should the phone be frozen (never happened), replacing the battery can be the fix.

- Lean and clean Android without ads.

- Extensive documentation and a helpful forum.

https://support.motorola.com/uk/en/p...torola/moto-g5

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5...-p/MotoG5thGen

The G5 is not thin like many other phones though. Updates can be slow, still with Nougat.
Old Oct 26, 18, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Mi Mix 3 launched yesterday looks like the one to beat!
Old Oct 28, 18, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by getmethere View Post
I purchased the Moto G5 International version at Amazon for ~$200 two years ago. It met all my requirements.
The G5 is not thin like many other phones though. Updates can be slow, still with Nougat.
I have this phone as well (European dual-SIM version with 2GB/16GB). It's missing American LTE bands, but with everyone on the LTE network these days, the HSPA bands are often just as fast (and always fast enough). Even though it was a low- to mid-range phone 2 years ago, the performance is still excellent, and the display is surprisingly good.

It's a great phone, especially for the price. My one complaint is that it runs whichever SIM you're not using for data as GSM-only. Some carriers have turned off their GSM networks in favor of HSPA alone, so if you're using one of those on the second SIM it doesn't work at all. Lenovorola promised this would be fixed with a software update 18 months ago but has yet to deliver. For the more common Flyertalker use case of carrying two SIMs in the phone but only having one active, this is a non-issue.
Old Oct 28, 18, 3:39 am

I am still on a OnePlus One, purchased at launch thanks to an invitation generously shared here. I am also looking for a dual SIM phone with a great camera - thinking of the P20 Pro or even its older sibling Mate 10 Pro.
Old Oct 28, 18, 4:43 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by 678flyer View Post
I am still on a OnePlus One, purchased at launch thanks to an invitation generously shared here. I am also looking for a dual SIM phone with a great camera - thinking of the P20 Pro or even its older sibling Mate 10 Pro.
As a long long time proponent of stock Android phones, the P20 Pro was a hugely pleasant surprise.

The OEM software does not get in the way; any added software feature is generally for the better (such as their dual-app multitask); and while it does not have the absolutely newest release of Android (which is on the way), i'm running 9.0 on another phone and do not miss it at all.

The processor is benchmarked to be a step behind it's generational counterpart, but I've not ever perceived a performance lag. And moreover, the battery life has been utterly stellar.

Phone camera is great. 3x optical zoom wayyy more useful than I anticipated - almost a must on new phones for me now. Downside is the smoothening algorithm is aggressive, but 98% will be satisfied.

On pure aesthetics I think it looks better than the Mate
678flyer likes this.
Old Oct 28, 18, 4:11 pm

Programs: HAL Platinum, JetBlue, KrisFlyer, NWA, USAirways, Alaska Air
I just looked at the Moto6 and it's dual connectivity - so can use it with GSM. Is that the same as Moto5 but upgraded?
Old Oct 28, 18, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by 678flyer View Post
I still have my One. I have the 3 now because the dual SIM was needed.

Tomorrow I will put in for the new OnePlus 6T. This is just an awesome phone at a reasonable price.
Old Oct 28, 18, 9:47 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
In China and HK. I've been using a Samsung Galaxy C9. A little old now, but I'm very happy with that phone. Mid-range performance, big screen, very thin, OLED screen and dual SIM, headphone jack, Micro SD slot. However, it does have the Samsung skin, Touch Wiz. Camera is so-so but good enough for me. If I had to replace, I'd probably look at the A8+.
Old Oct 29, 18, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by BSpeaker View Post
I just looked at the Moto6 and it's dual connectivity - so can use it with GSM. Is that the same as Moto5 but upgraded?
Not sure what you mean by "can use it with GSM" since you can do that with any phone. In Europe we have dual-SIM versions of the G6 and G6 play, but there's no dual-SIM G6 plus. As usual, no dual-SIM anything for the North American market. I haven't played with one yet, but on paper and in reviews, the G6 looks to be a far better phone than the G5 was.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: