Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best dual sim phone?

Best dual sim phone?

Old Sep 12, 18, 12:26 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Posts: 639
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Looks like the iPhone Xs has dual SIM support too. Only the China version has two physical SIM cards though; the rest of the models are eSIM + physical SIM. Is eSIM a huge disadvantage? (I'm thinking not if from the US--since most carriers likely will support eSIM--but maybe I'm wrong.)
I'm thinking you have your primary line go eSim, so you have the sim slot available for roaming. Maybe I'm wrong.
IslesFan is offline  
Old Sep 12, 18, 12:53 pm
  #62  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 14,667
Originally Posted by IslesFan View Post
I'm thinking you have your primary line go eSim, so you have the sim slot available for roaming. Maybe I'm wrong.
That's what I'm thinking too. It does mean that your phone is basically a single SIM phone if you're on certain MVNOs, unless there's some sort of way to provision a prepaid SIM on the eSIM.
tmiw is offline  
Old Sep 12, 18, 1:11 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 3,111
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Looks like the iPhone Xs has dual SIM support too. Only the China version has two physical SIM cards though; the rest of the models are eSIM + physical SIM. Is eSIM a huge disadvantage? (I'm thinking not if from the US--since most carriers likely will support eSIM--but maybe I'm wrong.)
AFAIK, the only carrier offering esim support for a phone is Project Fi - and Project Fi is unlikely to support Iphones. Activating the esim seems to require some software on the phone (a downloaded app), based on my Project Fi experience.
BigFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 12, 18, 1:27 pm
  #64  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Posts: 13,524
Either the esim or sim slot can be your primary line. As noted the problem, at least initially, will be availability of esim support through carriers. Apple did show these carriers when discussing esim support: Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Bell, EE, Vodafone, Airtel, Deutsche Telekom, Truphone, GigSky and Jio.

Apple instructions for setting up the esim and sim:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Sep 12, 18, 3:27 pm
  #65  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 14,667
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Either the esim or sim slot can be your primary line. As noted the problem, at least initially, will be availability of esim support through carriers. Apple did show these carriers when discussing esim support: Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, Bell, EE, Vodafone, Airtel, Deutsche Telekom, Truphone, GigSky and Jio.

Apple instructions for setting up the esim and sim:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044
Looks like it's either QR code or carrier app for eSIM provisioning. Hopefully getting the former won't be a hassle for those traveling. ^
tmiw is offline  
Old Sep 12, 18, 3:31 pm
  #66  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 14,594
I think I had my first dual SIM phone maybe a decade ago, Apple is WAY behind on these things....
hfly is offline  
Old Sep 12, 18, 5:12 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,179
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
I think I had my first dual SIM phone maybe a decade ago, Apple is WAY behind on these things....
but which dualsim LTE "world" phone have so many LTE bands (and CDMA support for those stuck on verizon/sprint)?

given its a dual standby phone (some phones are dual active).

not sure if one SIM is 3G data only and other SIM is LTE (highly unlikely since one is non-phyiscally-swappable eSIM)


FDD‑LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 66, 71)
TD‑LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46)
CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
paperwastage is online now  
Old Sep 12, 18, 11:22 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Posts: 6,227
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
but which dualsim LTE "world" phone have so many LTE bands (and CDMA support for those stuck on verizon/sprint)?
The Oneplus 6 (and soon to be released 6T which may add more) have very decent coverage already...

FDD LTE:
Band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/18/19/20/25/26/28/29/30/32/66/71
TDD LTE: Band 34/38/39/40/41
TD-SCDMA: Band 34/39
UMTS(WCDMA): Band 1/2/4/5/8/9/19
CDMA: BC0/BC1
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
Aus_Mal is offline  
Old Sep 12, 18, 11:36 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Posts: 4,638
From reading the Apple link above

What you need

So it sounds like initially it will just be the physical SIM. I guess this may be dependent on the carrier but I am hoping that it will seamless/painless to transfer my current TMO iPhone 7 service to an eSim. Initially I guess I would just use the current nano-SIM in the SIM slot.

Too bad that will come later -- I leave Oct 3 on a European trip and will take a second phone (Nexus 5X) that has my German SIM and it would be nice to carry one fewer phones
TheMadBrewer is offline  
Old Sep 12, 18, 11:44 pm
  #70  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 14,667
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal View Post
The Oneplus 6 (and soon to be released 6T which may add more) have very decent coverage already...

FDD LTE:
Band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/18/19/20/25/26/28/29/30/32/66/71
TDD LTE: Band 34/38/39/40/41
TD-SCDMA: Band 34/39
UMTS(WCDMA): Band 1/2/4/5/8/9/19
CDMA: BC0/BC1
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
I have the OnePlus 6 and I was under the impression that it was basically GSM/LTE only. Or at least, Sprint and Verizon don't work on it anyway.
tmiw is offline  
Old Sep 13, 18, 1:25 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,552
Ugh. Apple sure knows how to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Anyone know if I can get the real dual SIM model if I go to Hong Kong?
Silver Fox likes this.
Dubai Stu is online now  
Old Sep 13, 18, 6:42 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,179
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal View Post
The Oneplus 6 (and soon to be released 6T which may add more) have very decent coverage already...

FDD LTE:
Band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/18/19/20/25/26/28/29/30/32/66/71
TDD LTE: Band 34/38/39/40/41
TD-SCDMA: Band 34/39
UMTS(WCDMA): Band 1/2/4/5/8/9/19
CDMA: BC0/BC1
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
that phone's 0.5 years old, not 10 years old

(though 10 years ago, LTE didn't exist. you had your quad band 2G and pentaband 3G "world" phones)

aka apple isn't that far behind oneplus6's offering.. lets see how the esim+physical sim works on apple
paperwastage is online now  
Old Sep 13, 18, 9:04 am
  #73  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 5
I do not know if it's still topical, but if you're a fan of apple products, then the new iPhone is perfect. If on android then I advise Xiaomi Redmi 5 plus.
BunnyVanny is offline  
Old Sep 13, 18, 9:28 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 574
Yeah. I have the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 Global. It may not have all the LTE bands listed above, but it's close. Overall it's a very solid device.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.gsmar...-ampp-8529.php

Last edited by mrcamp; Sep 13, 18 at 1:05 pm
mrcamp is offline  
Old Sep 13, 18, 10:32 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Posts: 2,731
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Either the esim or sim slot can be your primary line. As noted the problem, at least initially, will be availability of esim support through carriers.
Implementing support for eSIMs is inconsequential if a carrier already has the infrastructure in place to support MVNOs on their network. Although that isn't to say there won't be dogmatic resistance.

Rogers in Canada had to be dragged kicking and screaming.
Silver Fox likes this.
Error 601 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: