Wiki Posts
Search

Best dual sim phone?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by jason8612
Still deciding on what phone to get. I'm looking at the P10 and it seems to be the same as the Mate 9 dual sim in all the specs except the mate 9 has a bigger battery than the P10. Am I missing something? It seems the mate 9 dual would be the better of the phone choices.
The micro SD slot on both takes one of the dual SIM slots out of action so it is not for me. I have the Moto G5 dual SIM and one of the reasons was that the SD card did not take a SIM slot out of action.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: AAPLT, SK/G, A3/G
Very happy with my Moto Z Play. Spec-wise it is a midrange phone, but the battery lasts forever. I got a external MotoMod battery for those long trips on long haul flights but I rarely need to use that battery.
Old May 7, 2017, 4:07 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I ended up getting the Huawei Mate 9. Overall, I must say I am super pleased with it. Much better battery life than my old Z5. The 2nd sim does have 3G, so it should work just fine in OZ. Faster response than the old Z5 and the photos turn out quite good. It is a bigger phone, but not as big as I would of thought. Oh and the charger is amazing - it charges some 3%+ per min which is excellent given the short connections I usually have.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Madone59
The Boeing phone is dual sim too. Don't forget that one.
Sadly I've not been able to get one of those from my local phone stockist.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
The micro SD slot on both takes one of the dual SIM slots out of action so it is not for me. I have the Moto G5 dual SIM and one of the reasons was that the SD card did not take a SIM slot out of action.
There are now adapters which let you get a second SIM and an SD card into the phone. Eg

http://www.simore.com/en/sim-card-extension-adapter-dualsim-hybrid-slot-smartphones-tablets-x-extender.html
Old May 8, 2017, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
There are now adapters which let you get a second SIM and an SD card into the phone. Eg

http://www.simore.com/en/sim-card-ex...-extender.html
Yes, I have seen them, but I like it to be built into the product. I have the Moto G5 2017 version and so far I am very happy with it.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
The best dual SIM phone is the Moto Z Play which is only 250 USD with the coupon motozplay on banggood. It has a landscape keyboard coming! You can find the keyboard on indiegogo. No links -- I do not intend to spam. Finally, finally, finally! Five years since the last keyboard phone, the Droid 4. Instead of the keyboard, you can also add an additional battery pack -- while more expensive than a generic USB battery pack, the lack of wires is a serious plus. In this it's also like the good old days when batteries were replaceable and some companies provided seriously larger capacity batteries and a new back which made the phone look like a camel the moto mods battery packs look better. But also, the Play version of the Moto Z has a pretty good battery life in itself. There are mods but those are IMO gimmicks. The zoom camera mod totally missed the price/performance spot for example.

There are rumors that a new moto mod will include 4 SIM slots

Last edited by chx1975; May 9, 2017 at 12:10 am
Old May 11, 2017, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by docbert
One thing to keep in mind is that some of these phones only support 2G on the 'second' SIM. (Which one is the second SIM can move between the two SIM slots, but only one can do 3G/4G at a time)

This is definitely true of the ZenFone 3 (http://promos.asus.com/us/Zenfone_3_...luxe_Specs.pdf) and I'm fairly sure it's true on the Mi Note 2 (it definitely is on my Mi Redmi 3 Pro)

The Huawei Mate 9 Pro appears to support 3G on the second SIM, but not 4G. The same appears to be true of the OnePlus 3T.
Tested today, and my Oneplus 3T merrily picked up 4g+ when I set data to my second sim (in the home country). In my home country, 4g is available on my primary sim.

So, It doesn't appear to be true of the Oneplus 3T!
Old May 12, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Tested today, and my Oneplus 3T merrily picked up 4g+ when I set data to my second sim (in the home country). In my home country, 4g is available on my primary sim.

So, It doesn't appear to be true of the Oneplus 3T!
This *was* true of the OnePlus 2. But as of the 3 and eventually 3T, both SIMs can handle any network.

In many places networks are turning off 2G and that is a real PIA when you need it in your second SIM.
Old May 16, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Thoughts on the ZTE Axon 7? Seriously looking at it.
Cheers
Howie
Old May 17, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Thoughts on the ZTE Axon 7? Seriously looking at it.
Cheers
Howie
I have an Axon 7 North American edition as a second phone. Actually I keep going and back between it and my iPhone 7. I really want a dual 7 but the Apple ecosphere and my wife keep pulling me back to the iPhone 7. Since there is no dual SIM iPhone (yet) I will avoid that sidetrack.
The Axon 7 is a great phone for the money. The NA edition supports a number of LTE bands on one active SIM and all the HSPA bands on the other which makes it a great travel phone. It charges quickly with the factory charger, has great sound, and a pretty good camera though I think it is a little weak in low light situations.

Axon is prompt with System upgrades and is not ignoring the phone yet, but I expect a sucessor may be coming out soon. It is an aluminum construction unibody device which feels premium and has a good hand size. It has great audio fidelity and supports HD voice on many carriers on one SIM, supports TMobile wifi calling, and other features. The phone is a quick charger.
The Axon 7 has a relatively pure Android feel, but some of the apps such as Mail and Calendar have been swapped out with their equivalents. It also has a non-Chrome browser as a second browser cooked into the firmware. There is not a tremendous amount of bloat and the Google Play Store is factory installed.

As a travel phone, I wish Axon had enabled VOIP dialing in the native dialer. Third party VOIP applications work just fine but the integration is not as nice. I've had a harder time making a VOIP dialer work in place and stead of the original dialer for some apps, e.g. calling out of Google Assistant. In addition to the Google Assistant, the Axon has its own which is handy for unlocking the phone on voice recognition, but Google's assistant is far better.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I carry a Moto G4 dual sim in addition to my work phone (Samsung S7) . It's 4g so takes advantage of the best networks in Europe, Asia and Australia. I was just in Russia - Moscow and Krasnoyarsk, and kept my roaming costs down with a Yota SIM bought at the airport, with a Toggle (multi-country) sim in the other slot.

The Moto works so well I'd happily use it for my workphone all the time if I had to. It's much cheaper.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I have an Axon 7 North American edition as a second phone. Actually I keep going and back between it and my iPhone 7. I really want a dual 7 but the Apple ecosphere and my wife keep pulling me back to the iPhone 7. Since there is no dual SIM iPhone (yet) I will avoid that sidetrack.
The Axon 7 is a great phone for the money. The NA edition supports a number of LTE bands on one active SIM and all the HSPA bands on the other which makes it a great travel phone. It charges quickly with the factory charger, has great sound, and a pretty good camera though I think it is a little weak in low light situations.

Axon is prompt with System upgrades and is not ignoring the phone yet, but I expect a sucessor may be coming out soon. It is an aluminum construction unibody device which feels premium and has a good hand size. It has great audio fidelity and supports HD voice on many carriers on one SIM, supports TMobile wifi calling, and other features. The phone is a quick charger.
The Axon 7 has a relatively pure Android feel, but some of the apps such as Mail and Calendar have been swapped out with their equivalents. It also has a non-Chrome browser as a second browser cooked into the firmware. There is not a tremendous amount of bloat and the Google Play Store is factory installed.

As a travel phone, I wish Axon had enabled VOIP dialing in the native dialer. Third party VOIP applications work just fine but the integration is not as nice. I've had a harder time making a VOIP dialer work in place and stead of the original dialer for some apps, e.g. calling out of Google Assistant. In addition to the Google Assistant, the Axon has its own which is handy for unlocking the phone on voice recognition, but Google's assistant is far better.
Thanks! Ended up buying a one plus 3T as it turned out to be the same plus when I added tax onto the Axon 7.
Cheers
Howie
Old May 17, 2017, 9:18 pm

The S8 version for sale in the UAE is dual SIM. So is the Swiss version (80% certain).

Originally Posted by Enthilza
Why not go with a Samsung S7 (or S7 Edge)?

Great camera, regular Android updates, decent UI... I believe the new S8 will also be dual sim.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Thanks! Ended up buying a one plus 3T as it turned out to be the same plus when I added tax onto the Axon 7.
Cheers
Howie
I almost went with the One Plus. Since the 7 supports CDMA frequencies I was hoping I could figure out a way for it to access them with my Fi SIM. Haven't succeeded yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.