Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Boingo actually work at all?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Does Boingo actually work at all?

Sorry have searched the forum and most post are several years old.

I just wanted to know. I have a free account with credit card and have tried and haven't been able to login to any of their partner wifi.

Reading many old post and seem it just doesn't work more almost everyone. Should I just forget about it or am I just doing something wrong.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cxua
Sorry have searched the forum and most post are several years old.

I just wanted to know. I have a free account with credit card and have tried and haven't been able to login to any of their partner wifi.

Reading many old post and seem it just doesn't work more almost everyone. Should I just forget about it or am I just doing something wrong.
I have Boingo by way of my Amex card. I use the Boingo account on partner networks in at least three or four countiries each month without issue. But I often have to do so without counting on the Boingo application/software; that means I manually select partner logins and then select Boingo from the connection pull down menu and then enter my Boingo account info, before or after a Boingo login page redirect comes up.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: *G
yes, i find it about as useful as priority pass - which means its only used in airport context and not elsewhere (though boingo is available elsewhere).

i use it in international airports away from home -- waiting for luggage, in transit, away from lounges, waiting at the gate, etc. even where airport provides free wifi, they often have a limit or a timer reset and boingo bypasses this

used it this past weekend for example
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Problem for me is that the partner wifi listed on boingos site has no option to select boingo on their captive screen, or that roaming partner option is not even available to pick.

Example is currently in Hong Kong, CSL and CMCC-WEB are listed as partner, but can't login. And the boingo app also unsuccessful to login.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: *G
Problem for me is that the partner wifi listed on boingos site has no option to select boingo on their captive screen, or that roaming partner option is not even available to pick.

Example is currently in Hong Kong, CSL and CMCC-WEB are listed as partner, but can't login. And the boingo app also unsuccessful to login.
cant speak for HKIA, but on public signal the landing page never belongs to wifi.

its always somewhere in the bottom, below the for-pay options, under 'other providers', usually mashed with 4/5/6/7 operators mostly the local telecos.

i find boingo useful. not enough to pay for it (also have it through cc). if really needing access, i simply roam with my business phone
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deniah
cant speak for HKIA, but on public signal the landing page never belongs to wifi.

its always somewhere in the bottom, below the for-pay options, under 'other providers', usually mashed with 4/5/6/7 operators mostly the local telecos.

i find boingo useful. not enough to pay for it (also have it through cc). if really needing access, i simply roam with my business phone
No such luck with these two partners. Looked everywhere. I use my T-Mobile global roaming, just thought I would try out Boingo and not let it go to waste. Guess not.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:12 pm

No such luck with these two partners. Looked everywhere. I use my T-Mobile global roaming, just thought I would try out Boingo and not let it go to waste. Guess not.
T-Mobile global roaming ^ plus free in-fligth WiFi when available.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timsparks
T-Mobile global roaming ^ plus free in-fligth WiFi when available.
128k is good for simple email and messaging. But a little slow for maps.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:04 pm

I use it in airports only. Have experienced what others have mentioned regarding being unable to connect to listed partners because their login page doesn't have an option for Boingo. The app is rubbish on both Android and iOS.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 2:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Don't count on the Boingo app connecting you to the roaming partner network.

More times than not, the app fails to let me connect to the roaming partner networks. Fortunately, on those roaming partner networks' login pages, I'm most commonly able to manually select Boingo and then manually enter my Boingo username and account password; then it works fine.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
When Amex first offered it up and used it on some international travel (Berlin mostly) and it worked great and I was a believer.

Since then I've tried to use it randomly in Italy and a few other places with almost zero success. I know it's especially vulnerable to whatever partner they are using but either I'm having a run of bad luck now or I had a run of great luck in the beginning.

Being it's free I don't lose too much sleep over it but if I was paying a monthly fee for it I'd be pretty disappointed.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
128k is good for simple email and messaging. But a little slow for maps.
When I was a T-Mobile customer prior to switching to Project Fi I was quite satisfied with using Google Maps as long as I had downloaded maps of the local areas through Wi-Fi prior to my trips. Using maps online were difficult in areas where I did not have downloaded maps.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I've used it around the world, mostly airports and corporate type hotels.. always works to login, but I never use the app. Usually on a splash screen there is a "selected alternate partner" drop down to get to the provider login.

I only use the app and update it regularly to see WHERE the locations are.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
I concur with everything said here, particularly about the issues with the app. However, I find that the Boingo Passport service works very well, though its availability is relatively limited to an odd mix of small and large US airports: https://passpoint.boingo.com This works by installing a profile on your device and it doesn't require an app to authenticate.

At least the AMEX-based accounts have Passpoint access.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Resurrecting this discussion.

I’ve just activated my account which comes free with my MasterCard.

I’m going to try it in HK and Jo’burg over the next week. I’d actually forgot that I had this with my credit card and am always surprised how few free WiFi hotspots there are in HK. Even Shenzhen has free WiFi in the metro stations.

Anyway, I’ll try it out and report back to see how useful/less it actually is. The hotspot map looks excitingly busy but I rarely remember seeing a Boingo SSID anywhere so let’s see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.