Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Samsung S8 -- Who's in?

Samsung S8 -- Who's in?

Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Samsung S8 -- Who's in?

So the Samsung S8 will be introduced in New York on March 28. It should be in stores around April 21.

Is anyone ready to give it a shot? Its been almost a year when I got my S7. I have heard some good things about the S8. I have not always been one to jump on the new technology bandwagon but I really like Samsung products.

https://www.cnet.com/products/samsun...xy-s8/preview/
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As silly as the reason may be, I'm happy with my S7 for another year. Why?

* Because all of my devices still use microUSB. Having two devices on USB-C will just cause all sorts of confusion.
* I actually like the physical home button.
* I like the fingerprint sensor on the front of the phone.

I have normal-sized hands (my gloves are medium), and I find the S7 ever so slightly too big. The S8 is wider (marginally).

If they had made a 5.2" screen in a 4.7" form factor, I might have changed.

As soon as I can clear up my bill credit snafu related to Jump on Demand, I may trade in the S7s and get two brand new S7s for $360 each.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: OnePass, Delta
I may have to revert back to Sammy, as my Pixel XL is due in, or so they say, around that time. Three months waiting for it...
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
My LG V20 is doing fantastic. And I can swap the battery whenever I want.

Samsung is going to have to do a lot to get me back.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:08 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
defo!
Old Feb 28, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Not me, Samsung has permanently stained their record with the whole Galaxy Note 7 debacle. Not going to be a beta tester from them anymore.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My S6 has what I consider significant "ghosting" problems; moreover, while I don't suffer from tremors, I find the camera does a poor job of stabilizing. So, I plan on upgrading to the S8 as soon as possible.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:24 am

Wasn't planning to, but with the increasing number of USB-C devices, I want to slowly get rid of all the microUSB stuff at home, including my S7E.

Really looking forward to the on-screen buttons, the rear-mounted FP scanner will take some getting used to though.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:22 pm

6 reasons I'm *NOT* buying it:
  1. USB-C -- DO NOT WANT! It took me long enough to get almost everything I travel with to be USB-A or MicroUSB. Besides that, there's been plenty of trouble getting functional USB-C cables and even Anker has had trouble making USB-C power supplies/chargers.
  2. Sealed battery -- Last week the battery in my Motorola Razr Maxx HD swelled so bad that the case snapped open while I was sleeping and woke me up. I just replaced the battery in my Note 4 last week as well. I will NEVER buy a phone which uses a sealed battery.
  3. No IR sender. I use this feature A LOT, especially with blaring TVs in public places or changing the AC so that it doesn't blow directly on me
  4. No physical home button. I'm old-school and try to touch-type as much as possible. The physical home button means I can do the basics on my phone without my glasses, which includes which end is up.
  5. No Stylus. The Note 4 is still my daily driver and if it broke today, I'd probably buy another Note 4.
  6. Fragile. I believe the new S8 has a glass back on it. At the very least it has glass edges. No thanks. One breakable surface is more than enough for me to worry about.

Last edited by KRSW; Mar 1, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by KRSW
4 reasons I'm *NOT* buying it:
  1. USB-C -- DO NOT WANT! It took me long enough to get almost everything I travel with to be USB-A or MicroUSB. Besides that, there's been plenty of trouble getting functional USB-C cables and even Anker has had trouble making USB-C power supplies/chargers.
  2. Sealed battery -- Last week the battery in my Motorola Razr Maxx HD swelled so bad that the case snapped open while I was sleeping and woke me up. I just replaced the battery in my Note 4 last week as well. I will NEVER buy a phone which uses a sealed battery.
  3. No IR sender. I use this feature A LOT, especially with blaring TVs in public places or changing the AC so that it doesn't blow directly on me
  4. No physical home button. I'm old-school and try to touch-type as much as possible. The physical home button means I can do the basics on my phone without my glasses, which includes which end is up.
  5. No Stylus. The Note 4 is still my daily driver and if it broke today, I'd probably buy another Note 4.
  6. Fragile. I believe the new S8 has a glass back on it. At the very least it has glass edges. No thanks. One breakable surface is more than enough for me to worry about.
Those are all solid reasons. Something for me to think about.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Those are all solid reasons. Something for me to think about.
Maybe for some, not for me.

1. I'll eventually transition to USB-C. No rush, but I'm also not going to avoid it. Things are moving in that direction, just as they previously moved to Micro USB. We'll all get there sooner or later.
2. I've not had a phone with replaceable battery since my Blackberry several years ago and haven't had any issues. I get the consternation over the Note 7 issues, but this is a relatively miniscule percentage of phones. Pretty limited options if you want to keep the replaceable battery, but that's your choice.
3. I have an IR blaster and use it occasionally, but don't really think I'd miss it.
4. I've had a phone without a physical button (Xperia Z) and it was fine.
5. Never had a stylus. Maybe I'd change my tune if I had a Note, but too big a form factor for me.
6. I've had 2 phones with glass backs and never had an issue with breakage. Moot point, imo, if you have a case/cover. If you like a "naked" phone, then I get the concerns.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:35 pm

I will upgrade my S7 to S8 with Verizon if they again offer some good promotions. I was able to upgrade my S6 to S7 last year at no out of pocket cost, and it was totally worth it just for the expandable microSD slot.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, B6 TrueBlue, Global Entry
I am probably going to go with the OnePlus 3T. My Nexus 6 Has served me well for just under two years; but the decision by Google to abandon the Nexus pricing strategy to price the Pixel like an iPhone ($649 for the base model unlocked) did not sit well with me.

Last edited by quillbin; Mar 8, 2017 at 10:20 pm Reason: Spelling Error
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm an odd-numbered Samsung guy. Have been since the original Galaxy. No reason, it's just that's about how often I upgrade phones.

I just got upgraded to the S7 three months ago. So I should be ready to jump to the S9 right around the time S10 rumors are hitting the market and good promotions are abound on the S9.

The only even-numbered Galaxy I've owned is the S4 Mini. I really loved its size and would have loved to have used that phone for a year or two. But the battery was horrible and even basic apps that ran well on the S5 would not run well at all on it. Fortunately I bought it used for $75 and unloaded it for about the same. Nice idea on the tiny phone...just not well executed.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
It is very small. Call me when they have a 6.5" or bigger version.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.