Samsung S8 -- Who's in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Samsung S8 -- Who's in?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Holding the power and volume-down buttons simultaneously for 5-10 seconds is effectively the hardware reset switch.
Originally Posted by Need
No physical home button but there is still the physical power button.
Thanks for that. I am running the S7 Edge and generally pleased although the Edge functions are of nearly zero practical use. No iPhone fanboy here although I use a MB Pro. I am intrigued by the S8 but will await real-world user reviews.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
Thanks for that. I am running the S7 Edge and generally pleased although the Edge functions are of nearly zero practical use. No iPhone fanboy here although I use a MB Pro. I am intrigued by the S8 but will await real-world user reviews.
There is really not too many reason to upgrade from the S7 Edge to S8. You probably won't see a huge difference. I am actually waiting to see what would the next Pixel be like. And I may even consider iPhone 8 if it "Changes everything" again... LOL.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Duke787
It looks nice and I love my S7 Edge so I am a big fan of the curved screen being the basis for the future. I do want to go hold both in my hand though before deciding which way to go.

As I understand it the S8 is slightly smaller than the S7 Edge but the screen of course is bigger but the S8+ is significantly bigger.

Will likely end up going for the S8. The S7 Edge has completely won me over from Apple and I don't foresee the iPhone 8 doing anything revolutionary that makes me hesitate in favor of waiting until the fall.
Picture! S7's on the left, S8's on the right.

Main difference appears to be length. Both the regular and plus versions of the S8 are longer than the S7 versions, although width is pretty similar. Apparently, the aspect ratio goes from 16:9 to 18.5:9 (a touch taller than the LG G6 at 18:9 or 2:1). Initial hands-on reviews suggest that the S8+ is more difficult to use one-handed due to the length (obvious point is obvious). Frankly, the regular GS6 tests my one-handed ability for things at the edges of the screen. I'm sure it would just be exacerbated with the GS8.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Mar 30, 2017 at 11:17 am Reason: added some random thoughts
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Need
There is really not too many reason to upgrade from the S7 Edge to S8. You probably won't see a huge difference. I am actually waiting to see what would the next Pixel be like. And I may even consider iPhone 8 if it "Changes everything" again... LOL.
I'm waiting for the S8 Note, or whatever they're going to call it. Having been through two Note 7 recalls yet sticking with Samsung (now have an S7 Edge), I'm expecting they'll offer an incentive to upgrade.

I really miss the S-pen.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I got email from Best Buy last night saying preorders were open.

I clicked the button and saw 3 options from all the major carriers except T-Mobile.

The monthly prices were different and AT&T was 30 months, the other two were 24 months.

Quick calculations and AT&T seemed cheapest at $23 plus for 30 months.

But VZW and Sprint were 28 plus and 29 plus a month.

Of course those were base prices for S8, not S8 Edge.

Price higher than S7 launch?

Will be interesting to see if they discount in a couple of months.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I'm a Samsung loyalist, so I will definitely go with the S8, but there are two main concerns I have:

1) No uncurved screen option. This is harder to use a light, but protective case on.

2) No physical home button. Those have always been useful when an app decides to freeze and makes fingerprint access easy.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by N1120A
I'm a Samsung loyalist, so I will definitely go with the S8, but there are two main concerns I have:

1) No uncurved screen option. This is harder to use a light, but protective case on.

2) No physical home button. Those have always been useful when an app decides to freeze and makes fingerprint access easy.
I wouldn't stress about the screen curve. These appear to have a curve very similar to the Note 7, which is less sharp than that of the S7 Edge. The Note 7 worked fine with thin and light cases. I had a Supcase Unicorn Beetle that I liked when I was using a Note 7. It provided good protection.

My concern is with the fingerprint sensor location. I'm considering the Note 8 when it comes out this fall, but I don't like how high up they put the sensor on the S8 and S8+, nor that it's so close to the camera. I hope they bring it down a bit beneath the camera for the Note 8.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
I am curious about the dual SIM model and what it is going to cost.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Mar 31, 2017 at 10:20 am
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I put my pre-order in on Sunday with T-Mobile. Arguably, they have the worst pre-order offering compared to the rest. (Verizon is offering it at $15/month, US Cellular has it for free, the rest fall in line.) Last year they had a free year of Netflix, and some other goodies.

Almost went for the Orchid Grey, but after seeing one in person, it is just a bit too much purple for me. I would still love a blue one, there's no reason for them not to have that, it is such a lovely shade.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I'm in. I have the S7 edge and the 32GB of storage is super annoying. I have a ton of apps and even pushing them to the SD card they go back to onboard storage when you update. I thought about going to the Pixel with 128GB for ending storage issues, getting OS updates as soon as they're available, and avoiding the carrier crapware thats installed. But, the S8+ is waterproof. I like being able to walk into the ocean with my phone And more practically not having to worry about things like rain, etc. I use my phone more than my computer so its a very important piece of equipment!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by WIRunner
(Verizon is offering it at $15/month...)
Only with a qualifying trade in and the unlimited data plan.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I can't wait to see one in person. I stopped by the local Best Buy to see what they were offering if you pre-order one (nothing released yet). They also didn't know when they would get a working demo model to show off. They only have 2 more weeks. Maybe next week.

I did read the facial recognition program used to unlock the phone apparently was fooled by a photograph.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I can't wait to see one in person. I stopped by the local Best Buy to see what they were offering if you pre-order one (nothing released yet). They also didn't know when they would get a working demo model to show off. They only have 2 more weeks. Maybe next week.

I did read the facial recognition program used to unlock the phone apparently was fooled by a photograph.
I pre-ordered one, expected to ship around 24-25th April, hopefully.

As for the face unlock thing, well that was introduced in Android 4.2 Jellybean, and I remember when Samsung had introduced it in their Galaxy S3, and that too was easily fooled by a photo, so I'm not surprised that nothing has changed. Face unlock has got to be one of the dumbest security features on a device.

I'll stick with the fingerprint scanner.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by murtaza12
I pre-ordered one, expected to ship around 24-25th April, hopefully.

As for the face unlock thing, well that was introduced in Android 4.2 Jellybean, and I remember when Samsung had introduced it in their Galaxy S3, and that too was easily fooled by a photo, so I'm not surprised that nothing has changed. Face unlock has got to be one of the dumbest security features on a device.

I'll stick with the fingerprint scanner.
The iris scanner looks interesting.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:24 pm

Although I'm intrigued by the S8 and like the sound of the new screen, I don't think I can justify the expense of upgrading from my S7, at least not this year. As has been said above, it might be worth waiting to see what the new Pixel brings to the table.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.