Samsung S8 -- Who's in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Samsung S8 -- Who's in?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I'll probably stick another year to my current smartphone. They are getting IMO too expensive to ditch every year. I changed the battery last fall and I expect to use it for another year or so (and probably ditching it after 6 years of usage).
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chx1975
It is very small. Call me when they have a 6.5" or bigger version.
The S8+ is rumored to have a 6.2" display. Does the 0.3" make a significant difference at that point? At any rate, I wouldn't call it "very small" by any streach.

my bigger thing is the fingerprint scanner on the back. I get that the lack of physical home key on front necessitates it, but still a negative for me.

that said, I'm on a replacement cycle of 2 years minimum, and have only had my S6 for 1.5 so far. I have a ways to go yet.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Phones feel too big to me as it is. If I want an iPad, I'll go buy an iPad.

I loved the idea of the S4 Mini, but I guess the laws of physics don't support getting that much horsepower and battery life into a tiny phone.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
TBD - depends how long my S7 Edge holds out. I love my Edge but after the battery debacle, I don't necessarily want the first batch of S8s out of caution.

That being said, I bought my S7 off cycle (for me) coming from the iPhone for many years so getting or passing on the S8 will set my Android cycle since I tend to be an every 2 year person (and still on a grandfathered Verizon contract that I *think* still lets me upgrade every 2 years though I lose track of all the Verizon upgrade changes).
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Phones feel too big to me as it is. If I want an iPad, I'll go buy an iPad.

I loved the idea of the S4 Mini, but I guess the laws of physics don't support getting that much horsepower and battery life into a tiny phone.
Well, not as small as S4 Mini but the size of the S8 with 5.8" screen is actually about the same as the 4.7" iPhone 7. And the size of the 6.2" S8 Plus is about the same as the 5.5" iPhone 7 Plus.

Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Oh there will be a 6.2" S8 Plus? That sounds better! These tiny phones, meh. I have a Nexus 7 LTE as my daily driver and it's great.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Well, not as small as S4 Mini but the size of the S8 with 5.8" screen is actually about the same as the 4.7" iPhone 7. And the size of the 6.2" S8 Plus is about the same as the 5.5" iPhone 7 Plus.

[IMG]http://cdn04.androidauthority.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Galaxy-S8-size-comparison-3.jpg[/IG]
They should have showed the size comparison to the S7 too.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by el aye
They should have showed the size comparison to the S7 too.
It's actually slightly narrower than the S7.

142.4 X 69.6 mm
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Everytime I am near the local Verizon store, I stop in to ask "when is the S8 coming out?" I get a lot of "They don't tell us at all when to expect it." Uh, don't you have to learn about the phone before you sell it? Some give me a timeframe ("Oh, probably sometime in April").

Today, the clerk said "soon" because the S7 and the plan has been discounted already.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Everytime I am near the local Verizon store, I stop in to ask "when is the S8 coming out?" I get a lot of "They don't tell us at all when to expect it." Uh, don't you have to learn about the phone before you sell it? Some give me a timeframe ("Oh, probably sometime in April").

Today, the clerk said "soon" because the S7 and the plan has been discounted already.
I don't think any provider's workers have ever known the actual release date prior to Samsung's reveal/launch presentation.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 10:01 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
My wife and I travel with Note 4s and neither of us will give them up until they die. The non-replaceable battery is a deal breaker for me. I buy the biggest after-market battery from a good company that I can find and it runs forever, even with super heavy use.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I am really not sure about the wisdom of retiring the physical home button. When the OS locks up, you can't do a battery pull and there's not physical button to press to override, I don't know what happens but am disinclined to risk finding out.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
I am really not sure about the wisdom of retiring the physical home button. When the OS locks up, you can't do a battery pull and there's not physical button to press to override, I don't know what happens but am disinclined to risk finding out.
Holding the power and volume-down buttons simultaneously for 5-10 seconds is effectively the hardware reset switch. The home button isn't involved.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
No physical home button but there is still the physical power button. Once in a while my LG G4 screen will stuck and I have to hit the power button in the back off and on to get out of it. But I could also pull the battery on G4.. don't think I have to do that yet and I had it for almost 2 years.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It looks nice and I love my S7 Edge so I am a big fan of the curved screen being the basis for the future. I do want to go hold both in my hand though before deciding which way to go.

As I understand it the S8 is slightly smaller than the S7 Edge but the screen of course is bigger but the S8+ is significantly bigger.

Will likely end up going for the S8. The S7 Edge has completely won me over from Apple and I don't foresee the iPhone 8 doing anything revolutionary that makes me hesitate in favor of waiting until the fall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.