Reload this Page >

2017: USB Travel Chargers and Power Supplies Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chx1975
Anker is a stable, reliable brand. They have a 6 port charger, a 5 port with QuickCharge 3.0 support, a 5 port with USB C support, a 2 port with both USB and QC 3.0. Their powerbanks are also popular with similar selection: there's a plain two port one, one with QC, one with USB-C.

Power bank wise, there's a RAVPower 20100 mAh power bank (RP-PB043) which can charge USB-C and QC 3.0 devices both and in turn can be charged by either.

Another important device is the MOGICS Bagel/Donut: two ports USB charger, plug shape converter and power strip, the Bagel universal, the Donut US only. Best all around electronics companion ATM.
Print Wikipost

2017: USB Travel Chargers and Power Supplies Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
It has been going on and off for days now.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:42 am

Has anyone tried any of the faster-charging Anker battery packs? I see they have some which will use QC2/3 as an input and have others which use dual micro-USBs as inputs.

I still have my faithful 12000mAh one from 2 years ago still going strong. I like it, but 9+ hours to recharge from flat is a bummer. It's rare that I'm in any one location for that long.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:21 am

Seeing that this thread is over 4 years old and most of the adapters listed in the posts are obsoleted, maybe a moderator could split off the newer posts from 2016 on to a new thread? I see people usually get re-directed to this thread when asking about USB chargers, but even the Wiki is not updated anymore. The first 7 "best" USB chargers listed in the wiki are no longer available for purchase.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
My initial thought was "no way," but then I looked at two pictures on the Amazon website that show it plugged in, and it sure looks like it does. That would be unusually clunky for an Anker design.

BTW, currently showing as unavailable on Amazon with a "We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock" message. And the Anker site does not list this device.

Makes me wonder. . .
I bought it last week and returned it due to the weight. The top of the plug leaves enough room for the top outlet if plugged into the bottom of a standard US home outlet. It could block outlets in a power strip depending on the plug orientation.

It is an Anker item as I contacted the seller (AnkerDirect) via post-purchase messaging to correct the item's weight and received a response from a staff member. I see it has been updated to 6.7 oz.

The weight was listed around 4.3 oz when I purchased it. Current reviews mention cheap plastic and dim lights. I thought my unit's build quality was fine for a good charger but I didn't actually charge/test it before returning. It is probably heavy enough to pull out of loose outlets as mentioned in a review and doesn't save any weight compared to my current 2 port charger + usb cable + 2 port 5000 mA battery pack which puts the weight on a surface instead of the plug. It is all a good idea until the unit keeps on falling out of a socket and not charging your devices or the battery. While I sometimes carry a short 2 prong "outlet saver", I wanted a lighter option that might stay put in a wall outlet (or even an onboard socket) without carrying extra accessories.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
Is there a charger that has a usb c port & can charge the 15" Touchbar MacBook Pro & smartphones.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:11 pm

Yes, the Mac charger that came with that Mac...
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
Seeing that this thread is over 4 years old and most of the adapters listed in the posts are obsoleted, maybe a moderator could split off the newer posts from 2016 on to a new thread? I see people usually get re-directed to this thread when asking about USB chargers, but even the Wiki is not updated anymore. The first 7 "best" USB chargers listed in the wiki are no longer available for purchase.
Done!

Everyone, feel free to start/contribute to a new wiki in this thread.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This one is my current hotel charger. The perpendicular ports and slim profile allows for it to squeeze behind nightstands. My goal is to find a 4.8A version of this charger.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Anyone heard of Archeer brand?

This one has good reviews so far, comes with one USB C port and 4 USB A ports for only $10:

https://www.amazon.com/Archeer-5-Por...+usb+c+charger

But the USB-C ports are going to have different outputs. For instance, this one claims the ability to charge the MacBook at 29W:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Premium...+usb+c+charger
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Anyone heard of Archeer brand?

This one has good reviews so far, comes with one USB C port and 4 USB A ports for only $10:

https://www.amazon.com/Archeer-5-Por...+usb+c+charger
I would be careful about the reviews. Only 1 out of the 31 reviews are "verified purchase". That means the rest got it for free in exchange for review, purchased else where, or fake reviews.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Ah, didn't look at it in that much detail.

To be honest, when I travel, I take a Monster power outlet and plug a 5-port USB charger into out outlet and the laptop charger into a separate outlet.

So when I eventually get a new laptop with USB-C, I won't need one charger to recharge both the laptop and all my mobile devices.

If fact, if the hotel room has enough outlets, I'd rather use several of them instead of just one or two, even if it means packing more power plug adaptors for trips overseas.

But unfortunately, it's often the case that you get one or two outlets at most.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:14 pm

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-Fanles...TX-Output.html this here has a USB C output now! Only 12.6" * 9.25" * 3.74" and 30lbs for the bargain basement price of $795! :P
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
This one is my current hotel charger. The perpendicular ports and slim profile allows for it to squeeze behind nightstands. My goal is to find a 4.8A version of this charger.
Amazingly that ETL mark is not fake! Despite the whole thing (esp the product renders instead of photos) very much like the one Aukey faked but the official listing here shows it's real. You can see the 8171 the model number on https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg this picture well.

Last edited by chx1975; Feb 27, 2017 at 9:46 pm
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Anyone know of a quality charger that can deliver 20V over USB-C but also has QC 2.0 or 3.0? Looking for something like this that's actually built well:

https://smile.amazon.com/Delivery-Qu...dp/B01M74EWGD/
Old Mar 2, 2017, 6:48 am

I bought this unit from Amazon last September and it's been going strong charging my iPad at home since then.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00O0RJJ...I2XLV0CNDDLHGB

I've used it on two cruises, plus Australia and Singapore. It has two, 2.4 amp, and two, 1 amp USB outputs. Very light and compact, about the size of 1 & 1/2 deck of cards. I also bought 4 of the 6" Lightning cables from Monoprice. We travel with two iPads and two iPhones and the short cables eliminate the snake pit at the charging station.

I also noticed that the universal input port for the plug adapters matches a lot of US power cords, so I'm using a general purpose AC cord when I want to move the charger away from the wall outlet.

I have an app on my iPad that measures input power, and this unit does indeed put out 2400ma as claimed. This is the same output as an Apple iPad charger, and is safe for rapid charging iPhones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.