Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

how do you handle international data connectivity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how do you handle international data connectivity?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
my strategy has evolved. Most current strategy is to buy a local SIM for my iPad and use it for internet, maps, email and tethering my laptop. With the new $10/day international day pass that gives unlimited calls, text and data from my ATT plan, that is a no brainer for trips of a week or less. I might use a different strategy for longer trips depending on how many calls I would make. I am not interested in having a different phone number that would go with a local SIM in my phone.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Boogie711
I reviewed Flexiroam. I love it - it's ideal for a situation where you're only in a foreign country for 2-3 days at a time and don't feel like buying a local SIM.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...m-sticker.html

I replied to your review and also sent you a private message and added my own setup and opinion.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by TWA884
I used the Lets Go SIM from Orange, about €20 for 2 or 3 GB of data. More than I could use in a week typically.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mikel51
my strategy has evolved. Most current strategy is to buy a local SIM for my iPad and use it for internet, maps, email and tethering my laptop. With the new $10/day international day pass that gives unlimited calls, text and data from my ATT plan, that is a no brainer for trips of a week or less. I might use a different strategy for longer trips depending on how many calls I would make. I am not interested in having a different phone number that would go with a local SIM in my phone.
That's good if you want to take calls to your US number.

But if you're trying to contact someone local, will they call a US number or take calls from one?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:01 pm

I just end up paying the $10 a day to VZ. If you travel internationally just for a vacation or only every so often for a week (or maybe two) it's the way to go (use your own carrier)..

For those of us that are not in the metro areas, VZ is our only choice... They may be a bit expensive but they work out here in the boonies, in the city and its more valuable to me to keep my number to receive calls...

I've been down the road of many international SIM companies over the years. Basically the fun got sucked out of the deal on those many instances I wanted to use the phone and the discount SIM just plain didn't work... I've had Project Fi and as great as it is, it's just another phone I have to carry, and another bill... I carry enough stuff on planes, need to simplify as much as possible.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:00 pm

From my brief Googling, that appears to be a Data-only SIM? Were you able to add calling credits to it? Also, one site says "Orange prohibits the use in a phone." How did it work out for you?

Originally Posted by wco81
I used the Lets Go SIM from Orange, about €20 for 2 or 3 GB of data. More than I could use in a week typically.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 7:12 pm
Suspended

No I was only interested in data-only.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Project Fi's (add-on) data Sim - very, very happy with it. Switch it around, going from iPad mini 2 (i know, it's 4G/LTE good for travel with the bands) to iPhone 5S as personal hotspot - no monthly minimum.

Use it to make WiFi and VoIP calls and with Google Voice # as primary, very easy to call forward to a local or temporary number.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I was in Mexico last week and using my AT&T phone, which is on one of the 15GB plans that was supposed to include free roaming in Mexico. I stopped into a retail location right before the trip to ask if the feature needed to be activated, the employees pulled up my account and determined that the feature was automatically active on eligible accounts now (like mine) and no need to activate it manually.

Shortly after stepping off the plane in Mexico, I began accruing data usage charges at a rate of $2,099.20/gigabyte. A chat to AT&T has (supposedly) removed these charges and gotten the feature activated on my account, but...
1) be wary of traveling outside the US with AT&T, even if it's supposed to be included in your plan, and
2) $2,100/gigabyte? Seriously? How is that a thing in 2017? Yes there are packages, but failure to choose a package results in downright abusive rates...
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by wco81
That's good if you want to take calls to your US number.

But if you're trying to contact someone local, will they call a US number or take calls from one?

They will probably take a call from you at least. In Europe, the caller pays for the call, so answering has no risks for an unknown caller ID. I've used my T-Mobile phone in Europe moderately for calling cabs, hotels, etc. and never had a problem with going unanswered.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
I was in Mexico last week and using my AT&T phone, which is on one of the 15GB plans that was supposed to include free roaming in Mexico. I stopped into a retail location right before the trip to ask if the feature needed to be activated, the employees pulled up my account and determined that the feature was automatically active on eligible accounts now (like mine) and no need to activate it manually.

Shortly after stepping off the plane in Mexico, I began accruing data usage charges at a rate of $2,099.20/gigabyte. A chat to AT&T has (supposedly) removed these charges and gotten the feature activated on my account, but...
1) be wary of traveling outside the US with AT&T, even if it's supposed to be included in your plan, and
2) $2,100/gigabyte? Seriously? How is that a thing in 2017? Yes there are packages, but failure to choose a package results in downright abusive rates...
Their website said $2.05 per MB so it should have been $2050 per GB LOL. I guess they rounded up. But that's what I am afraid even with the new $10 per day international day pass. What if I accidentally traveled to a country that's NOT covered in the 100 of so countries covered under the day pass.. like Japan? Will I get charged at the $2.05 per MB rate without knowing it until it's too late?

BTW, last time I went to Mexico I had to activate the Roam Mexico feature. It was not autonomic on 15GB (30GB promo x2 data) shared plan. You have to do it for each line too not just for the shared plan. It's the same with the $10 international day pass. You have do it to add the feature to each line. If not, you will be charge the $2.05 per MB rate even if you are in one of the 100 or so countries. It is so stupid because who would rather pay $2.05 per MB instead of $10 per day? It should have been automatic.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 10:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by draver
They will probably take a call from you at least. In Europe, the caller pays for the call, so answering has no risks for an unknown caller ID. I've used my T-Mobile phone in Europe moderately for calling cabs, hotels, etc. and never had a problem with going unanswered.
Is that also true for calls from another country, from mobile phone to mobile phone, which have the highest connection charges?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 4:22 pm

Nothing to be afraid of. Make sure the necessary plans are on your account. Know what countries are included in the Intl Day Pass plan. Enjoy vacation. Done.

The only time it gets complicated is when things are assumed. And even in javabytes situation, they trusted someone else to confirm something they should have confirmed themselves. Not harshing on anyone, just saying a quick log in to one's online account to confirm is all it takes.

Originally Posted by Need
Their website said $2.05 per MB so it should have been $2050 per GB LOL. I guess they rounded up. But that's what I am afraid even with the new $10 per day international day pass. What if I accidentally traveled to a country that's NOT covered in the 100 of so countries covered under the day pass.. like Japan? Will I get charged at the $2.05 per MB rate without knowing it until it's too late?

BTW, last time I went to Mexico I had to activate the Roam Mexico feature. It was not autonomic on 15GB (30GB promo x2 data) shared plan. You have to do it for each line too not just for the shared plan. It's the same with the $10 international day pass. You have do it to add the feature to each line. If not, you will be charge the $2.05 per MB rate even if you are in one of the 100 or so countries. It is so stupid because who would rather pay $2.05 per MB instead of $10 per day? It should have been automatic.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by PackingIt
Nothing to be afraid of. Make sure the necessary plans are on your account. Know what countries are included in the Intl Day Pass plan. Enjoy vacation. Done.

The only time it gets complicated is when things are assumed. And even in javabytes situation, they trusted someone else to confirm something they should have confirmed themselves. Not harshing on anyone, just saying a quick log in to one's online account to confirm is all it takes.
I assumed nothing. I googled the feature name, then checked it myself online, and saw no relevant features either specifically mentioned as active or available to activate. That's when and why I went to the store, and the store employees didn't see anything either, and asked a "veteran" clerk who said they eliminated separate products for that feature because it was silly to have to activate it separately. They mentioned what it used to be called (the same feature name I was looking for when I logged in myself), and showed me on their iPad where it used to live. It wasn't there any longer, and they said that's because it's automatically included/activated for everybody now.

I did everything right, exhausting self-service first and then confirming with multiple employees, and it still turned into a billing disaster.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:13 pm

I do not doubt your efforts, but AT&T's online site makes it pretty easy to see exactly what you have, and what various plan options are available to add. For future needs, I definitely recommend getting more familiar with the site, to save you from future frustration.

Originally Posted by javabytes
I assumed nothing. I googled the feature name, then checked it myself online, and saw no relevant features either specifically mentioned as active or available to activate. That's when and why I went to the store, and the store employees didn't see anything either, and asked a "veteran" clerk who said they eliminated separate products for that feature because it was silly to have to activate it separately. They mentioned what it used to be called (the same feature name I was looking for when I logged in myself), and showed me on their iPad where it used to live. It wasn't there any longer, and they said that's because it's automatically included/activated for everybody now.

I did everything right, exhausting self-service first and then confirming with multiple employees, and it still turned into a billing disaster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.