2017 Verizon Unlimited Plan Returns

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boberonicus
Key changes for existing Verizon customers:
  • Credit card payment OK, but direct checking account or debit card gets you $10 off per month.
  • Employer/AAA discount plans do not apply. But 10% entire plan if any military service members on plan. Not sure if they have to be active.
  • 500 MB max per day when roaming internationally 4G then drops to 2G (ouch).
  • 10G GB max per month tethering 4G then drops to 3G
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Verizon is resurrecting their unlimited plan. $80/mo for a single line, but requires paperless billing and autopay. They include hotspot access, and aren't limiting bandwidth for video and music, like T-Mobile and Sprint are. "Throttling" occurs after 22 GB on congested sites. But after spending years kicking people off their old unlimited plan it is back. I guess you can blame T-Mobile for this, wonder how they'll respond.

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/ge...eserve-verizon
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Verizon is resurrecting their unlimited plan. $80/mo for a single line, but requires paperless billing and autopay. They include hotspot access, and aren't limiting bandwidth for video and music, like T-Mobile and Sprint are. "Throttling" occurs after 22 GB on congested sites. But after spending years kicking people off their old unlimited plan it is back. I guess you can blame T-Mobile for this, wonder how they'll respond.

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/ge...eserve-verizon
I actually know some people who are on the grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan wants to switch to the new unlimited plan. They have family members each on their own unlimited plan and it would be cheaper to combine them into one account..
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh, T-Mobile responded.

$70 ONE plan now includes HD video, and 10 GB of "full speed" hotspot access, plus the price includes all fees and taxes. (So it should be quite a bit less than Verizon's.) And now has a 2 line $100 promo for the unlimited plan.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-a...ps-verizon.htm
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
T-Mobile has responded...

http://www.tmonews.com/2017/02/t-mob...data-one-plan/

(The above post is what I get for reading the article then posting about it. )

I'll also add that I'm paying $145/mo (taxes & fees not included) for five lines on T-Mobile.

$60 family plan for two lines
$10 international calls to landline & mobile phones (valid for all lines; will lose feature if I switch to another plan)
$10 for 3GB data plan for Mrs. Swede (she barely uses 1GB per month)
$15 for 6GB data plan for my phone (I'm lucky to use 3GB, but I cannot downgrade to the 3GB plan since it's no longer offered)
$5 each for three other lines (Miss Swede, Baby Swede, and Niece Swede)
$10 each for 3GB data plan for Miss Swede and Baby Swede
$15 for 6GB data plan for Niece Swede

We all have accumulated at least 15GB of data stash.

I stream Google Play Music quite a bit, and I also watch the occasional Amazon Video and Netflix while not on wifi. I don't mind the 480p resolution on a 5" smartphone screen. My kids watch quite a bit of Netflix and YouTube while in the car; since they aren't paying the bill, I don't care what they think about 480p streaming.

If T-Mobile included international calls with this new iteration of ONE, I might be interested in switching in order to lock in a decent price (while anticipating my kids' data plan needs in the future).

Last edited by pseudoswede; Feb 13, 2017 at 3:26 pm
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Sprint is now advertising a 5-for-$90 unlimited plan. Of course, it's full of caveats and fees and their network blows, but if you happen to live somewhere that Sprint actually works, it might be worth your while.

Sprint guarantees this plan through March 2018...after that, I suppose it'll depend on what T-Mo (mainly) is doing.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:13 pm

AT&T, your move.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Need
AT&T, your move.
They have it available for direct tv customers. It would be nice for them to open it up for all customers.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:09 am

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Originally Posted by Need
AT&T, your move.
Since I still own a grandfathered international unlimited plan, I'd be real surprised if anyone brings back one of those and I'd still have hard time giving it up. I just wish I could utilize the day pass for telephone calls and not impact my data plan.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Verizon killed my int'l unlimited data years ago and put me on the 250mb international plan. which is nice in that it's in every country. but considering the rarity of being in a place that's not covered in their new limited int'l plan for $40 a month, I'm considering just moving over to one of these plans now. the $60/month savings makes up for it and makes it more economical to just buy a SIM once or twice a year when really off the grid.

Last edited by BobbySteel; Feb 14, 2017 at 6:29 am
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by gwade
Since I still own a grandfathered international unlimited plan, I'd be real surprised if anyone brings back one of those and I'd still have hard time giving it up. I just wish I could utilize the day pass for telephone calls and not impact my data plan.
What she/he said. I'm using a vintage ATT Blackberry unlimited international plan on my iPhone 6s+ and getting LTE as I type this in HKG. The upgraded T-Mobile plan looks close and the price is getting there.

ATT has actually been pretty decent about letting me grandfather this plan for over ten years. When that stops, it's time for a new provider.

There is no way I'm signing up for ATT's TV/internet to get a different phone plan.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner
They have it available for direct tv customers. It would be nice for them to open it up for all customers.
Well they are charging $40 per line, so even if they opened up to non-Direct TV customers, they have to do a LOT better for me to stay.

They should lowered it to $20 per line and free international roaming! Yeah...fat chance of that.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have 5 lines with Verizon and get an employee discount and have a 30GB plan, which I didn't intend to keep (I set it there cause I have a teenager who drinks data and I've been doing a lot of traveling). I was going to drop down to 20GB in the next month or so....but that's not an option now.

It's S, M, L, or unlimited. The L is 8GB, which is nowhere near enough for me.

With lifetime data bonuses, I actually get 40GB/month. The unlimited plan is 22GB before throttling, requires AutoPay, and has no employee discounts.

I pay 70¢/month more for my current plan than this unlimited plan.

So I think it's just a gimmick, nothing more.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:49 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by RichMSN
I have 5 lines with Verizon and get an employee discount and have a 30GB plan, which I didn't intend to keep (I set it there cause I have a teenager who drinks data and I've been doing a lot of traveling). I was going to drop down to 20GB in the next month or so....but that's not an option now.

It's S, M, L, or unlimited. The L is 8GB, which is nowhere near enough for me.

With lifetime data bonuses, I actually get 40GB/month. The unlimited plan is 22GB before throttling, requires AutoPay, and has no employee discounts.

I pay 70¢/month more for my current plan than this unlimited plan.

So I think it's just a gimmick, nothing more.
The way I read it is that after 22 GB on a line then you get deprioritzied...

Thus over 5 lines you potentially have up to 110 GB of unthrottled data...

FDW
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
The way I read it is that after 22 GB on a line then you get deprioritzied...

Thus over 5 lines you potentially have up to 110 GB of unthrottled data...

FDW
It's 22GB per billing cycle. I'm reading that as shared data, not per line.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:14 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RichMSN
It's 22GB per billing cycle. I'm reading that as shared data, not per line.
Per Verizon:

After 22 GB/line/mo, we may prioritize your data behind other Verizon customers during network congestion.
FDW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.