Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Pixel just died...

Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Blue

My Pixel just died whilst using it. Looks completely bricked. Quick google search suggests a few isolated cases only.

I bought in late October and had no problems with it. Earlier today, I did drop it (?coincidence -- and not too bad a drop, v. v. minor side scratch only), but the phone was completely fine for the next 6+hours as far I could tell.

Any insights/ suggestions?

tb

PS I have tried to do the power/ volume down reset etc to no avail.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu
My Pixel just died whilst using it. Looks completely bricked. Quick google search suggests a few isolated cases only.

I bought in late October and had no problems with it. Earlier today, I did drop it (?coincidence -- and not too bad a drop, v. v. minor side scratch only), but the phone was completely fine for the next 6+hours as far I could tell.

tb

I thought my HTC One M9 was dead as well, similar situation. Wasn't responding to anything, not even a charger.
Anyway, I was awake the entire weekend trying to get it to work, and I found one guy saying that the phone won't respond to the power + volume down combo, but it requires you to hold ALL the buttons on the device at the same time, for a fairly long time. Maybe 30 seconds or more, depends when the screen lights up.

I was holding all the buttons on the M9, about 20 seconds in, I thought I was just hurting my fingers and nothing was going to work, and a few seconds later, it vibrated and the screen turned on.
Worked perfectly after that.

If this doesn't work for you, then unfortunately the only way to go about it, is a replacement.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
My Galaxy s6 had the sleep of death, where the display just stops working. Software issue which eventually resolved itself after rebooting a few times and changing sobe if the smart display settings. Thought it was bricked at first also because it didn't appear to respond to anything.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions....I tried all the buttons suggestion to no avail. I will give my phone in for repair since it's still under warranty but because it's not in the first 30 days they won't just replace it: looks to be a major hassle involving sending the phone away etc...irritating!

tb
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Plug it in to your pc to see if it's failing to power on or maybe just a screen issue
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestions....I tried all the buttons suggestion to no avail. I will give my phone in for repair since it's still under warranty but because it's not in the first 30 days they won't just replace it: looks to be a major hassle involving sending the phone away etc...irritating!

tb
Did you buy through a carrier? I know at least Verizon used to allow you to swap in store without having to mail it off.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

quick update

It was truly dead. I had bought it from "carphone warehouse" -- but they said it might take 25 days (!!!) to get a replacement. So I went via Google...replacement phone arrived in four days, so pretty impressive service.

The only major loss is my entire wechat history -- I never used the desktop version, so I don't think there is any way to recover this (unlike in iOS)...

tb
Old May 3, 2017, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

My nexus just died so was thinking of getting a pixel (as am a project fi customer). I am debating if I should just use the replacement nexus I got till the pixel 2 comes out or get pixel now?

Any thoughts?
Old May 3, 2017, 5:58 pm

My Pixel just Earlier today, I did drop it (?coincidence -- and not too bad a drop, v. v. minor side scratch only), but the phone was completely fine for the next 6+hours as far I could tell.

Exact same thing happened to my Nexus. Down to the hour. Since my phone was more than 1+ plus years old, I just replaced it with an iPhone. I can't afford the time to replace my phone every year or so. (My 3 previous Nexus phone died roughly a year out)
Old May 3, 2017, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cxua
Exact same thing happened to my Nexus. Down to the hour. Since my phone was more than 1+ plus years old, I just replaced it with an iPhone. I can't afford the time to replace my phone every year or so. (My 3 previous Nexus phone died roughly a year out)
This is my third Nexus 5x in a year and half My wife had her iphone 4s for almost 4 years I think it is. Her iphone 7 is still going strong a year later.

The only reason I wont go and get an iphone is because I dont want to pay silly monthly fees to ATT. My project fi bill is only between $19 and $25 a month!!
Old May 3, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)

tb

Have you tried holding down Power and Volume down together for 30 seconds or so? I kid, I kid.

It should be under warranty, try calling Google.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Sorry to bring up an old thread.

My nexus just died so was thinking of getting a pixel (as am a project fi customer). I am debating if I should just use the replacement nexus I got till the pixel 2 comes out or get pixel now?

Any thoughts?
Is your Pixel model even in stock? I'm waiting for the Pixel 2 myself as the Pixel is still commanding a 'new model' premium yet Google has already announced updates are done next year. See https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en

If you haven't already contacted Google, you may be able to get a free replacement Nexus as they are several models with the bootloop of death flaw.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Is your Pixel model even in stock? I'm waiting for the Pixel 2 myself as the Pixel is still commanding a 'new model' premium yet Google has already announced updates are done next year. See https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en

If you haven't already contacted Google, you may be able to get a free replacement Nexus as they are several models with the bootloop of death flaw.
Normally, I'd agree with you but to be fair to Google, they only guarantee 2 years of Android system updates but could offer more than that.

I have a Nexus 6 and am on Nougat even though my device is over 2-years-old. If I would have had to, I'd flash Nougat onto my device using XDA sources. Like others, I refrain from purchasing new devices if my current device is still serviceable and the "upgrades" with the new device are not worth it. I'm still with the Nexus 6 because of wireless charging, quick charging, and dual front-facing speakers. That combo is hard to come by.

I seriously doubt that I'll get Android O with this device so I'll be looking for a replacement between now and 12 months which, hopefully, will not require me to use one of those hideous wireless charging adapters.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Well I contacted google and they sent me a replacement Nexus. I got it on Monday and it lasted till about 2 hours ago. Honestly you couldnt make this up. I contacted Project Fi yet again and they said they will issue a full refund.

While that is nice of them and good, and now forced to leave Project Fi and get another phone because they have no pixels in stock.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Well I contacted google and they sent me a replacement Nexus. I got it on Monday and it lasted till about 2 hours ago. Honestly you couldnt make this up. I contacted Project Fi yet again and they said they will issue a full refund.

While that is nice of them and good, and now forced to leave Project Fi and get another phone because they have no pixels in stock.
You don't have to leave Fi if your sim was unlocked on a google phone. It will move just fine to virtually any GSM phone. You won't get the flip to Sprint in the US. I have only had it go to US cellular in Maine. Traveling internationally, my Nexus 6 Fi phone has never connected to a CDMA signal. So no loss there.
For instance.

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/s...phone-0174991/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.