FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Facebook on laptop computer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1816330-facebook-laptop-computer.html)

Jasper2009 Jan 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Facebook on laptop computer

Quick question for the experts:

I use Facebook on my laptop only (Windows 10 if it makes any difference).

Without any warning FB now only lists "Messenger" instead of "Messages" and the new layout and functionality suck. This happened yesterday and I changed none of my settings nor was I shown a pop-up message about any changes or similar.

Is there any way to switch back to the old display?

Thanks in advance!

nux Jan 18, 2017 8:45 pm

It is a change to the facebook website. Nothing you can do about it unless facebook adds an option to change the interface.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/18/fa...-of-messenger/

bocastephen Jan 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27784680)
Quick question for the experts:

I use Facebook on my laptop only (Windows 10 if it makes any difference).

Without any warning FB now only lists "Messenger" instead of "Messages" and the new layout and functionality suck. This happened yesterday and I changed none of my settings nor was I shown a pop-up message about any changes or similar.

Is there any way to switch back to the old display?

Thanks in advance!

Facebook is a website not an app, so there is no way to change the interface. Messenger is the new online platform for conversations and the old message app is gone.

Doc Savage Jan 18, 2017 8:55 pm

Switch to MySpace. ;)

Jasper2009 Jan 20, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks for the responses!

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 27784935)
Switch to MySpace. ;)

:D

Ok, leaving aside that I'm a dinosaur, what platform would you recommend for a chat:

a) that involves multiple people (3-4)
b) allows participants to post replies consisting of multiple paragraphs (and a minimum of formatting/editing before posting)
c) is accessible easily both using a cell phone and desktop computer

(I had to considered a secret FB group, but was wondering whether there are any better alternatives.)

gfunkdave Jan 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27792990)
Thanks for the responses!

Ok, leaving aside that I'm a dinosaur, what platform would you recommend for a chat:

b) allows participants to post replies consisting of multiple paragraphs (and a minimum of formatting/editing before posting)

(I had to considered a secret FB group, but was wondering whether there are any better alternatives.)

I think what you're looking for is called "email". :)

Jasper2009 Jan 20, 2017 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 27793047)
I think what you're looking for is called "email". :)

Not very convenient for discussions that involve more than two people IME.

Let me add a fourth requirement: "replies/comments should be displayed in chronological order."

oneant Jan 20, 2017 1:40 pm

1. Facebook
While there is facebook.com, there is ALSO an app from the Microsoft store--like there is from the App Store--for Facebook, so technically using the term "app" is acceptable.

2. @Jasper2009
GoogleHangouts may provide what you're after in the form of a group chat. I personally don't use it so can't speak to how long a group chat would remain "alive" or retain past responses, but it meets your requirements.

For something more robust, go with a bulletin board, much like this one here on FT. They can be had & hosted for free, and you can lock down access with usernames/passwords.

aanswer Jan 20, 2017 1:59 pm

Perhaps WhatsApp? I've grown accustomed to their web.whatsapp.com portal and it works well!

chx1975 Jan 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Slack? There's minimal formatting and certainly you can have multiple paragraphs and a lot more. There's a website and a mobile site (and a desktop app which is just the website packaged with its own Chrome).

pon18n Jan 20, 2017 10:15 pm

1. Facebook Messenger
2. LINE
3. Whatsapp
4. iMessage
5. email
6. regular texting

nkedel Jan 22, 2017 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27792990)

Slack is probably the best messaging option for the sort of use you're talking about. It's free for small teams (or large, low volume ones -- the limit on free is a rolling 10,000 message archive limit) and the support is quite good if you go to the paid version. It has a good web interface, a very good Android app, and GREAT a desktop version for Windows, Linux and Mac. I'm told the iOS version is better still but I don't use iOS.

A Facebook or Google group isn't a bad alternative. Google Groups are better on desktop and have an email gateway. They're much clumsier on mobile unless you're using the email gateway.

If not for the mobile access, this really sounds more like you want a private message board or wiki.

Originally Posted by chx1975 (Post 27793430)
Slack? There's minimal formatting and certainly you can have multiple paragraphs and a lot more. There's a website and a mobile site (and a desktop app which is just the website packaged with its own Chrome).

One nice thing with Slack is that you can post documents or formatted "snippets" to the channel, with a comment, and then people don't have to skim over the whole thing -- just the comment. They've also added a threaded view.

Dread Pirate Jeff Jan 23, 2017 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 (Post 27793082)

Not very convenient for discussions that involve more than two people IME.

Let me add a fourth requirement: "replies/comments should be displayed in chronological order."

Email is very convenient and I use it daily for conversations with much more than two people.

Additionally, any decent email client will display replies in the order that they were received. Now whether the people replying choose to top post, bottom post, or inline post is entirely up to them.

That said, there's also Telegram (didn't see that mentioned).

Also there is IRC since you mentioned being a dinosaur :D