Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Still using, and still really liking my Nexus 6. Tried switching to the closely related, but just too much smaller, Moto X Pure, and ended up going back to the bigger screen.

At some point it'll be too slow and 32gb already takes a little big of active management of space (mostly b/c a couple of Google's own services cache too aggressively; FB is pretty bad too), but I don't game, and for now the processor is still fine.

May or may not get the Android O upgrade, but I've seen several newer flagship phones that didn't get N and am not sure what's missing even in Marshmallow.

Meanwhile, what do apps really need? AFAICT, there are plenty of apps that will work with 16 (Jelly bean 4.1) and virtually everything still supports 19 (Kitkat, 4.4)
Old May 3, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by WIRunner
Its going to be tough to get beyond 2 years on an Android device for software support. Apple will continue to support a device until there's a major change in architecture, or the processor is just to slow to keep up. Rumour has it that sometime in the next few weeks T-Mobile is going to release a self branded device that will be fairly high end at a not high end price.

I've been happy with the G6, only had it for a week, but it has been nice. Personally, I'd give the HTC phones a good look. I had been using an HTC 10 for the past 6 months. Sense isn't obtrusive like it had once been. HTC has been a bit "off" with pricing, so it might be worth a slight wait after the 11 is released. The upside is that if you buy from HTC directly, it will still work with T-Mobile's WiFi calling without issue.
I'm not sure I'll take a chance on LG until they clean up their manufacturing practices. The majority of the bootloop phones are LG (G4, Nexus 5X, etc.) plus the Huwei Nexus 6P.

HTC is making the Pixel 2 as well as they had a 2 model contract. I'll go browse their selection and see if I can find something I like in the meantime. I'm expecting the Pixel 2 is going to be as pricey as the Samsung S8 likely.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I'm not sure I'll take a chance on LG until they clean up their manufacturing practices. The majority of the bootloop phones are LG (G4, Nexus 5X, etc.) plus the Huwei Nexus 6P.

HTC is making the Pixel 2 as well as they had a 2 model contract. I'll go browse their selection and see if I can find something I like in the meantime. I'm expecting the Pixel 2 is going to be as pricey as the Samsung S8 likely.
The HTC U is going to be announced very soon. You might wait to see what that offers.

Honestly, though, the two best Android phones right now are the Pixel/Pixel XL and the S8/S8+. Take your pick and run with it.

I'm waiting for Note 8. I have the LG V20. It's fine, but I'm bored with it and looking to upgrade this fall.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Absolutely waiting for the KeyONE. It's the device I've been begging for, for about 7 years now.
Looks like the media embargo is over.

Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Q3 Android flagships are going to start rolling out next month.

I'm torn between replacing my LG V20 with the Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Pixel 2 XL, and LG V30.

I'm leaning heavily toward the Note 8 for now, but the stupid un-remappable Bixby button is a turn-off. If I go with the Pixel, I'll be moving to Fi from AT&T.

The LG V30 is in a distant 3rd place as I am not in love with my current V20.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm patiently waiting for T-Mobile to discount the Galaxy S7 back to $360. I'm still married to microUSB and a physical home button.

If the Galaxy S9 has a fingerprint sensor under the screen, then I'll migrate.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I'm waiting to see if the rumors of a genuinely big Pixel 2 XL are correct; if it's really a 6"+ phone, I will get it if I can get my hands on one. I tried going down to the 5.7" Moto X Pure and just couldn't deal with the smaller size.

I don't like the narrow 18:9 or taller (LG G6 or S8 Plus) and the design of the S8/S8 Plus is a little too weird for me.

OTOH, my Nexus 6 is on its last legs. The two choices that are actually available now in a 5.9" or larger phone seem to be the Huawei Mate 9 and the Lenovo Phab 2 Pro (or the cheapie Phab 2, but that seems a little TOO basic.) Sadly, the Zenfone 3 Ultra seems to be never getting a US version, and the versions of the Xiaomi Mi Max that I can find seem to be just imported international ones.

Any other non-crud 5.9"+ phones I'm missing if my Nexus 6 dies before the Pixel 2 XL is out (or if that turns out to be another 5.5-5.7" phone?)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
The Q3 Android flagships are going to start rolling out next month.

I'm torn between replacing my LG V20 with the Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Pixel 2 XL, and LG V30.

I'm leaning heavily toward the Note 8 for now, but the stupid un-remappable Bixby button is a turn-off. If I go with the Pixel, I'll be moving to Fi from AT&T.

The LG V30 is in a distant 3rd place as I am not in love with my current V20.
Why can't you stay with AT&T and have the Pixel 2? Honestly if the phone looks anything like the leaked renders, I'm actually excited for it. It looks a lot nicer than what the OG Pixel looked like before it was released, and it should be launched with Android 8.1 which is really something to look forward to.

The Note 8 on the other hand is only exciting me because of the dual camera setup, I've never really had a use for the stylus, so I'll probably pass. It'll be more or less the same as the S8 in terms of specs.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The obvious answer is an iPhone 7.

If you say "I see a little silhouetto of a man" to Bixby, who knows what you get. But with Siri....
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Or iPhone 8?

Unless it doesn't have TouchID and is ridiculously overpriced ...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I really can't see an "iPhone 8" coming out this fall. I see an iPhone 7s and an iPhone X/iPhone Pro/iPhone Edition or some special naming.

Big Samsung and Apple announcements within 2-3 weeks of each other will be interesting.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by murtaza12
Why can't you stay with AT&T and have the Pixel 2?
On AT&T you lose several features (most importantly to me is wifi calling) if you use a non-AT&T branded phone.

I agree, the rumors look promising. I am not opposed to moving to Fi if I get a Pixel XL 2.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:31 pm

Amazon US has temporarily stopped sales of Blu phones due to security concerns.

Perhaps a reason to think twice about purchasing Blu MediaTek phones for a while as some Blu phones still have Adups software which is sending user data to China without full disclosure and has some rather permissive settings. The app tracks MAC address, IMEI, and cell phone tower locations and sends the data to servers in China. Some versions also track browser history & bookmarks.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/research...ng-data-china/
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Anyone here have the Moto E4?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: AY+
Just got yesterday oneplus5 after the reliable 2nd gen Moto G turned not so reliable.
Otherwise its basically the same as moto, but more possibilities to make small adjustments to settings and buttons. Only thing what you should consider before buying is that oneplus has deleted the automatic silence modes which you can program with slider.
So if you got used to use those on meetings and night times, consider if you can live without.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.