Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I think that about cinches it for me. I might just have to buy it for myself. I am not worried about using the phone inside the US. We do a fair amount of leisure international travel and I just want an unlocked phone for when we travel.

I was looking for that post in this thread but cannot find it. Is it from another thread?
Hah, sorry, I was using the quote feature to "quote" the specs from Motorola's US website.

If I hadn't just bought a €100 crap-phone (Nokia 3.1.. very strongly do not recommend) to keep in the kitchen and lend to visitors, I'd probably buy an American G7 Power as well.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Hah, sorry, I was using the quote feature to "quote" the specs from Motorola's US website.

If I hadn't just bought a €100 crap-phone (Nokia 3.1.. very strongly do not recommend) to keep in the kitchen and lend to visitors, I'd probably buy an American G7 Power as well.
np ... thanks for the info. I can strongly recommend these cheaper Motos. Definitely not a top of the line, full feature phone. But for something that you can travel with and use almost as a "burner" phone, they are great.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:13 pm

I think the USA model is 1955-5 ,
the international model on ebay and Amazon is 1955-2
Do far the USA model is 3gb /32gb , the international also has the 4gb/64gb model so hopefully we will get that model soon in the USA.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:14 pm

I was looking at this page in xda-developers.com

https://www.xda-developers.com/motor...rumored-specs/

Does this match the specs you are seeing?

Old May 1, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I was looking at this page in xda-developers.com

https://www.xda-developers.com/motor...rumored-specs/

Does this match the specs you are seeing?
None of those match the published specs of the US version, but that table looks like it's a "rest of world" set of info--none of the listed models has the American 700 MHz bands (12, 13, 14, 17) listed. And of course neither Amazon nor Motorola.com list the actual model number of the American device.

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
I think the USA model is 1955-5
I think you're right. I'm able to find an XT1955-5 and -6 that are allegedly the NA versions of this phone with LTE bands matching the published specs, but I can't find what the difference is between the two.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
None of those match the published specs of the US version, but that table looks like it's a "rest of world" set of info--none of the listed models has the American 700 MHz bands (12, 13, 14, 17) listed. And of course neither Amazon nor Motorola.com list the actual model number of the American device.

I think you're right. I'm able to find an XT1955-5 and -6 that are allegedly the NA versions of this phone with LTE bands matching the published specs, but I can't find what the difference is between the two.
The Motorola internal part number/model number is PAEB0006US. I found that on a couple of sites selling the US version. I can;t find a reference to the XT1955-6 as a phone. All I see are parts and/or accessories for that model number.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:07 pm

The T-Mobile version has LTE bands 66 and 71 ,
hopefully all the other bands on the 1955-5 are active ,
Old May 1, 2019, 7:38 pm

The T-Mobile version has LTE bands 66 and 71 ,
hopefully all the other bands on the 1955-5 are active ,
I ordered the 1955-5 from the Motorola on eBay store. Cheapest price I could find.

According to the Motorola website, here are the bands:

Networks + Bands
Carrier Aggregation, 4G LTE (DL Cat 7/ UL Cat 6),
CDMA / EVDO Rev A,
UMTS / HSPA+,
GSM / EDGE 2G:
GSM band 2/3/5/8
CDMA BC0/BC1/BC10,
3G: WCDMA band 1/2/4/5/8,
4G: FDD LTE band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/14/17/20/25/26/29/30/66/71,
TDD LTE band 38/39/40/41/41 HPUE
Old May 1, 2019, 8:18 pm

Please report back how you like it , warts and all

I do not need it yet , so am waiting for the 4gb/64gb , who knows if they will make that spec !
Old May 1, 2019, 9:19 pm

Please report back how you like it , warts and all

I do not need it yet , so am waiting for the 4gb/64gb , who knows if they will make that spec !
We'll be in South Africa at the end of June. After that Egypt and then Colombia and Peru. Looking for solid 3G/4G speed and no issues with the carriers.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:03 am

IPhone x max or xr
Old May 8, 2019, 3:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SamanthaD
IPhone x max or xr
The iPhone XR has some of the most extreme difference between OEM’s claimed battery life during talk time and actual talk time. Both Apple and HTC, unlike Samsung, seem to overpromise and underdeliver on company claimed battery life for regular talk time use, with the XR being amongst the worst out there in this regard (of real battery life for calls as a percentage of company claimed battery life for calls) for those hunting for a phone for super long call times.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
So...OnePlus 7 Pro. What does everyone think of it? Personally, it looks pretty nice but my 6 is still working fine (and has a headphone jack).
Old May 15, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by tmiw
So...OnePlus 7 Pro. What does everyone think of it? Personally, it looks pretty nice but my 6 is still working fine (and has a headphone jack).
Looking at the specs, decent screen, lack of an SD lot makes it undesirable, lack of a headphone jack makes it a no go for me.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Looking at the specs, decent screen, lack of an SD lot makes it undesirable, lack of a headphone jack makes it a no go for me.
I actually have one of these and have used it on my OnePlus 6 with good success, so lack of SD doesn't bother me all that much. I imagine I could get over not having a headphone jack eventually as well, but for now, my phone does what it needs to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.