Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Thanks all, I have pulled the trigger. It'll be nice to not get "you're running low on storage space". I remember when apps were smaller and the police looked younger too.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: too many
Update on the Mi A2 Lite: After a few months with it, I'm very satisfied with it, apart from 2 points:
1. It doesn't have NFC. Not that I particularly cared initially, but the settled status application became more difficult to do
2. Switching from Samsung Music to Google music, I lost all my playlists...
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by ng1265
Update on the Mi A2 Lite: After a few months with it, I'm very satisfied with it, apart from 2 points:
1. It doesn't have NFC. Not that I particularly cared initially, but the settled status application became more difficult to do
2. Switching from Samsung Music to Google music, I lost all my playlists...
Yes, I like mine too, not missed NFC as yet because I am not into this wallet stuff on the phone. Does what it says on the tin. What does "settled status" mean?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: too many
Settled status is part of Brexit plans for EU citizens:
https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families

Needed an NFC-enabled phone to validate passport chips
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: Independent
How about a good summary of phone recommendations?

I need to replace my aging and dying LG G3. I am looking for something:
At least 5.5" screen, bigger is better
Headphone jack
MicroSD slot
Decent camera but doesn't need to be amazing
Thinner the better
Not a lot of bloatware
I am going to be using this on Cricket in the US and Canada, and O2 in the UK.

I run Nova Launcher, so I don't care about the default launcher. My work phone is a Galaxy S9, I hate the curved screen and a lot of their software so don't want another Samsung.

I don't mind, in fact prefer, to get a used year old unlocked phone. I was looking at the OnePlus 6T, but can't live without the headphone jack.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Cloudship

Headphone jack
MicroSD slot
Thinner the better
Not a lot of bloatware

I run Nova Launcher, so I don't care about the default launcher. My work phone is a Galaxy S9, I hate the curved screen and a lot of their software so don't want another Samsung.

I don't mind, in fact prefer, to get a used year old unlocked phone. I was looking at the OnePlus 6T, but can't live without the headphone jack.
LG V40; V30 if you want a little older. V20 is even viable.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:18 pm

Not sure what your price range is, but the Samsung Galaxy A50 seems to meet your criteria. I just ordered it this morning. It's a mid-range device, in the same category as the Moto G7, Huawei P30 Lite, etc. Those are the other 2 devices I considered before going for the A50.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._64gb_gsm.html

Originally Posted by Cloudship

Headphone jack
MicroSD slot
Thinner the better
Not a lot of bloatware

Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
LG V40; V30 if you want a little older. V20 is even viable.
Also the LG V35 or G7. Huawei Mate 20 also has a headphone jack. More listed here:
https://www.androidauthority.com/pho...e-jack-825984/
and here
https://www.gadgetdetected.com/2019/...eadphone-jack/
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I have a Moto G5 Plus XT1687 that I use as a unlocked international travel phone. It has been very handy, seems to connect anywhere and delivers maximum connect speeds in every country visited (Latin America, sub Saharan Africa, several countries in Europe, SE Asia, etc). My wife wants a similar phone.

Looking for recommendations for a similar phone. Android OS, not too large, lots of bands. Hopefully under/around $200 US.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:27 pm

That same device is here if she wants that exact one.

Amazon Amazon

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I have a Moto G5 Plus XT1687 that I use as a unlocked international travel phone. It has been very handy, seems to connect anywhere and delivers maximum connect speeds in every country visited (Latin America, sub Saharan Africa, several countries in Europe, SE Asia, etc). My wife wants a similar phone.

Looking for recommendations for a similar phone. Android OS, not too large, lots of bands. Hopefully under/around $200 US.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:15 pm

What do you think about the G7 Power , lots of bands and a big 5000mah battery,
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:28 pm

It seems to be a solid device with pretty good mid range specs, a solid battery, and a lot of LTE bands

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
What do you think about the G7 Power , lots of bands and a big 5000mah battery,
Old Apr 29, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: Independent
The tricky part is the bands, because they use different bands in teh UK than in the US. And there are different models of say the G7, each of which works on different bands.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Motorola
FDD LTE band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/14/17/20/25/26/29/30/66/71, TDD LTE band 38/39/40/41/41 HPUE
As long as you don't need dual-SIM, the US-version G7 Power looks like a great travel phone. Huge battery, decent display, allegedly decent camera, USB-C PD charging, and a range of LTE bands worthy of a Pixel or iPhone.

The European version has fewer than half those bands and is missing important bands for both T-Mobile and AT&T in the US, but it's available with a second SIM slot.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
As long as you don't need dual-SIM, the US-version G7 Power looks like a great travel phone. Huge battery, decent display, allegedly decent camera, USB-C PD charging, and a range of LTE bands worthy of a Pixel or iPhone.

The European version has fewer than half those bands and is missing important bands for both T-Mobile and AT&T in the US, but it's available with a second SIM slot.
I think that about cinches it for me. I might just have to buy it for myself. I am not worried about using the phone inside the US. We do a fair amount of leisure international travel and I just want an unlocked phone for when we travel.

I was looking for that post in this thread but cannot find it. Is it from another thread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.