Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by murtaza12
Haha, I came back to this thread to see if you'd be getting the Note 8 and it seems I was right.
I'm good with my S8+ for now, even though the dual-camera on the Note 8 is very tempting, I'll hold off till November or December and see if there are any sales on, so I can pick one up then.

Congratulations on yours though, what colour did you order? Seeing as the US isn't getting Maple Gold or that really nice Deepsea Blue.
I haven't preordered. Past experience has shown me that walking in on release day will be fine and could possibly have my device in hands even faster than a preorder. I haven't decided yet between orchid grey or black. I'll be looking at them in person soon to see which I prefer.

Honestly though color is not a big deal as it will be going into a Spigen Rugged Armor or similar the moment I buy it. I'm clumsy.
murtaza12 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I haven't preordered. Past experience has shown me that walking in on release day will be fine and could possibly have my device in hands even faster than a preorder. I haven't decided yet between orchid grey or black. I'll be looking at them in person soon to see which I prefer.

Honestly though color is not a big deal as it will be going into a Spigen Rugged Armor or similar the moment I buy it. I'm clumsy.
Samsung is stating that pre-orderers will have their phones before they're available in stores. I guess we'll see ...
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Contradicting myself (as I often do, being indecisive by nature ) I just now went to samsung.com via the Note 7 loyalty link and preordered a midnight black device to get the $425 savings. I found an old iPhone 5 in my office that a previous employee doesn't use any more but is in good working condition, so I'm going to trade that in for the discount.

They're promising free 2 day shipping on 9/11 so I should have it in hand on the 9/13. ~$560 out the door including tax for the Note 8, a wireless fast charger, and a 128 GB microSD card.

I do have to pay off the balance on my V20 with AT&T Next but then I am free to sell it.
murtaza12 likes this.

Last edited by SRQ Guy; Aug 25, 2017 at 8:47 am
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:20 pm

Preordered my Note 8 as well, through Verizon using their 50% off discount with trade-in of my S7E. Although the price is a bit cheaper than Samsung's offer, I'll have to wait until I have the Note 8 in-hand before I can take advantage of the wireless charger/memory card promotion.

If you order direct from Samsung, they'll ship the promo items you select when they ship the phone.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Has anyone used cell2get.com to buy a phone? It's borderline too-good-to-be-true. It also has very favorable ResellerRatings rating.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Contradicting myself (as I often do, being indecisive by nature ) I just now went to samsung.com via the Note 7 loyalty link and preordered a midnight black device to get the $425 savings. I found an old iPhone 5 in my office that a previous employee doesn't use any more but is in good working condition, so I'm going to trade that in for the discount.

They're promising free 2 day shipping on 9/11 so I should have it in hand on the 9/13. ~$560 out the door including tax for the Note 8, a wireless fast charger, and a 128 GB microSD card.

I do have to pay off the balance on my V20 with AT&T Next but then I am free to sell it.
Got my shipment notification this afternoon. It's arriving Tuesday, more than a week earlier than expected (and sooner than most who ordered directly from Samsung!).
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I like seeing LG put in built-in wireless charging into their new flagship phone. I'm guessing this is in response to Apple (finally) implementing wireless charging--albeit qi standard as opposed to the RF wireless charging originally theorized. In previous LG phones, wireless charging was built-in, but you had to purchase a separate charging back or sticker.

Hopefully more phone manufacturers will continue to release phones that support wireless charging.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I like seeing LG put in built-in wireless charging into their new flagship phone. I'm guessing this is in response to Apple (finally) implementing wireless charging--albeit qi standard as opposed to the RF wireless charging originally theorized. In previous LG phones, wireless charging was built-in, but you had to purchase a separate charging back or sticker.

Hopefully more phone manufacturers will continue to release phones that support wireless charging.
I had it on my Note 7, the S7 Edge that replaced it, and will have it again on my Note 8. I have wireless chargers where I need them and I love the convenience.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm looking forward to the new V30. I'd like to see what the size of it is compared to the G6. It looks like a great phone, I just don't want a giant phone. I'm also in an early area for T-Mobile's 600 MHz build out. Might end up biting the bullet regardless.

Originally Posted by pseudoswede

They had wireless in the US edition of the G6.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
iPhone 8, Galaxy 8 too many $$$ for you? iOS, Android too complicated for you? I have a special deal on classic phones. Make an offer...

(I was cleaning out my office today)
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich
iPhone 8, Galaxy 8 too many $$$ for you? iOS, Android too complicated for you? I have a special deal on classic phones. Make an offer...

(I was cleaning out my office today)
I used to have the Sprint version of that Treo back in the day. Man, Windows CE kinda sucked.

Anyway, I'm now kinda tempted to get the OnePlus 5. I'm not sure I'm going to like 128kbps data on T-Mobile when I go to the UK in October and I still want to have my US number accessible via texts/calls too. (The DIGITS app is extremely buggy on iOS, too, so I don't think that'll be an option.) I'm normally not a fan of the bigger phones though so I don't know how that'll go.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by tmiw
I'm not sure I'm going to like 128kbps data on T-Mobile when I go to the UK in October and I still want to have my US number accessible via texts/calls too. (The DIGITS app is extremely buggy on iOS, too, so I don't think that'll be an option.) I'm normally not a fan of the bigger phones though so I don't know how that'll go.
I've been using my 6S Plus in Spain and currently Austria.

I have a prepaid SIM in my iPad Air 2 as well. But I've not been tethering my iPhone to the local SIM. Mostly use iPhone for weather apps, checking stocks, Apple News and especially Google Maps.

For most of these uses, T-Mobile roaming has been fine because it's been connecting to LTE networks. Speed isn't better than roaming on 3G but the better latency makes it feel more responsive.

I haven't taken calls but I've occasionally made calls at 20 cents a minute and of course iMessage or SMS is free.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
I've been using my 6S Plus in Spain and currently Austria.

I have a prepaid SIM in my iPad Air 2 as well. But I've not been tethering my iPhone to the local SIM. Mostly use iPhone for weather apps, checking stocks, Apple News and especially Google Maps.

For most of these uses, T-Mobile roaming has been fine because it's been connecting to LTE networks. Speed isn't better than roaming on 3G but the better latency makes it feel more responsive.

I haven't taken calls but I've occasionally made calls at 20 cents a minute and of course iMessage or SMS is free.
HSPA where I live is usually around a megabit or so, actually. I don't really see it all that much though unless I go really deep into a building (B12 isn't fully rolled out here yet). Sprint, on the other hand, was a much different story when I used to have them.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I can possibly change my router's settings to cap my phone's IP address to 128kbps and see how that goes. Considering that Google Maps and others can operate in offline mode, that might not be that big of a deal.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:13 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Thread title is: Which Smartphone Should I Get? ...

Let's ensure the subject doesn't drift. The forum has tons of threads about SIM's, Roaming, Data Plans, and other subjects touched here.

Thanks
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by tmiw
I used to have the Sprint version of that Treo back in the day. Man, Windows CE kinda sucked.
Yes, I much preferred the 650p I had before this one, running the PalmOS.

Apple's announcement is the 12th, so we'll see how close the 7s, 7s Plus, and "8" rumors are. I think Apple needs a big leap with the 7s series. There will be a fleet of early adopters on the "8", but at that price point I think it will act like a halo car - lots of press, not so much sale, revenue or profit. Lots of 6 and 6s users will need to see a real reason to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.