Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Official 2017-19: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
What I was concerned about was the specs indicate that the XT1687 should work all over Latin America and the Caribbean. But the statement about the SIM not registering properly had me concerned.

As to Amazon vs 3rd party sellers, I'm not sure what you mean by 3rd party. I was comparing Amazon to B&H Photo in New York, an extremely reputable photo and electronics online retailer. Both sell the XT1687 for $219. IMO I would take B&H over Amazon in a heartbeat as they really stand behind what they sell.
The SIM not registering properly in Colombia appears to be an issue of compliance with a Colombian legal requirement. It's not realistic to expect the manufacturer to comply with a (rather strange and unique) Colombian legal requirement for a device labelled and intended for sale in the United States and sold through an American retailer. Even countries with very strict registration requirements for mobile plans generally don't care about the IMEI of the device.

Apple has an even more fun issue, where they sell iPhones with the exact same model number with and without CDMA radios. My European iPhone SE is model A1723 just like the one Sprint sells, but it will not work on Sprint because it has no CDMA. At least Motorola has the decency to change the model number.

As for 3rd party sellers, I meant Marketplace sellers on Amazon--while I'd be comfortable ordering the phone "ships from and sold by Amazon.com", I wouldn't order from a Marketplace seller unless the model number was specified. I've had great experiences with B&H as well, so given the choice (and a UPS-deliverable address), I agree with you on buying from them rather than lining Bezos' pockets.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Oct 31, 2017 at 2:46 am
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
The SIM not registering properly in Colombia appears to be an issue of compliance with a Colombian legal requirement. It's not realistic to expect the manufacturer to comply with a (rather strange and unique) Colombian legal requirement for a device labelled and intended for sale in the United States and sold through an American retailer. Even countries with very strict registration requirements for mobile plans generally don't care about the IMEI of the device.

Apple has an even more fun issue, where they sell iPhones with the exact same model number with and without CDMA radios. My European iPhone SE is model A1723 just like the one Sprint sells, but it will not work on Sprint because it has no CDMA. At least Motorola has the decency to change the model number.

As for 3rd party sellers, I meant Marketplace sellers on Amazon--while I'd be comfortable ordering the phone "ships from and sold by Amazon.com", I wouldn't order from a Marketplace seller unless the model number was specified. I've had great experiences with B&H as well, so given the choice (and a UPS-deliverable address), I agree with you on buying from them rather than lining Bezos' pockets.
I have had issues with a product purchased from B&H and they back up what they sell. Returns were very easy and hassle free (at least for me).
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:49 pm

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, but does any know whether there are other similar Android phones that are currently available at a modest price (<$50) that can be unlocked with an inexpensive code?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
If you are in the US, I am including a link to a recent article below. I don't think you will find something under 50 usd unless you go to swappa, Craigs list or ebay. Also take a look at Blu phones.

https://www.techradar.com/news/phone...mpared-1314718
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by boerne
If you are in the US, I am including a link to a recent article below. I don't think you will find something under 50 usd unless you go to swappa, Craigs list or ebay. Also take a look at Blu phones.

https://www.techradar.com/news/phone...mpared-1314718
This was a crosspost; he already got it answered on Are we All Suckers for Using Expensive Phones When a Cheap $40 Will Work Fine?

As you noted there are a few Chinese junkphones at around that price point even unsubsidized -- eg this one from Blu and this one from Doogee on Amazon (there's also a $49 antique Huawei with Android 2.2), but the quality difference between those and the cheapest decent phones like the Moto E4 will be pretty big.

---

On an unrelated note, can anyone recommend alternatives to the Honor 7X for my next travel phone?

I've been pretty happy with my Honor 5X although the camera could be better, and the international UMTS support on the US version I've got could be better -- specifically, it would be good to have the 900mhz band used in Thailand. My daughter's pretty much taken over the 5X from me, and I'd rather buy something newer than a second used 5X.

My only must haves are no downgrades -- must have a fingerprint reader, be no smaller than the 5.5" screen of the Honor 5X, and at least as good of a camera, and at least roughly the same band support.

Ideally, it would be faster, have a bigger sceen, better camera, and broader band support. The Honor 7X has 3 of the 4, but it's got the exact same bands.

I could go marginally pricier, but definitely not over $250. The Moto G5S has a just-equal screen size, roughly similar processor to the 7X, much better band support, and a camera that's supposed to be a bit behind the 7X but still well ahead of what I had with the 5X. It's selling for $249, and I'm not sure I want to trade the better camera and bigger screen just for more bands and a $50 higher price tag.

Last edited by nkedel; Apr 8, 2018 at 10:17 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Wot no 2018 thread?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Internaut
Wot no 2018 thread?
it is usually for two years at a time now. There hasn't been very many changes, most smart phones have hit parity at this time. We're not seeing any huge or game changing things lately.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by WIRunner
it is usually for two years at a time now. There hasn't been very many changes, most smart phones have hit parity at this time. We're not seeing any huge or game changing things lately.
Fair enough. They are all pretty boring, these days (no matter how hard they try).

My 2018 Phone is a Huawei P20, btw.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I still like my 2017 Mate 9. If I had to replace it, the P20 would be tempting, but I'd probably aim lower to save some money.
Internaut likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by nkedel
This was a crosspost; he already got it answered on Are we All Suckers for Using Expensive Phones When a Cheap $40 Will Work Fine?

As you noted there are a few Chinese junkphones at around that price point even unsubsidized -- eg this one from Blu and this one from Doogee on Amazon (there's also a $49 antique Huawei with Android 2.2), but the quality difference between those and the cheapest decent phones like the Moto E4 will be pretty big.

---

On an unrelated note, can anyone recommend alternatives to the Honor 7X for my next travel phone?

I've been pretty happy with my Honor 5X although the camera could be better, and the international UMTS support on the US version I've got could be better -- specifically, it would be good to have the 900mhz band used in Thailand. My daughter's pretty much taken over the 5X from me, and I'd rather buy something newer than a second used 5X.

My only must haves are no downgrades -- must have a fingerprint reader, be no smaller than the 5.5" screen of the Honor 5X, and at least as good of a camera, and at least roughly the same band support.

Ideally, it would be faster, have a bigger sceen, better camera, and broader band support. The Honor 7X has 3 of the 4, but it's got the exact same bands.

I could go marginally pricier, but definitely not over $250. The Moto G5S has a just-equal screen size, roughly similar processor to the 7X, much better band support, and a camera that's supposed to be a bit behind the 7X but still well ahead of what I had with the 5X. It's selling for $249, and I'm not sure I want to trade the better camera and bigger screen just for more bands and a $50 higher price tag.
Missed the cross post. thanks. I would suggest an LG V20. They are a bit over your 250 mark at 265 on ebay, but it is a Great phone at that price. It is my work phone. I love the camera, takes a memory card, supports the bands you want (LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 17(700), 20(800), 26(850), 28(700), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)), and for me best of all, is the best phone you can buy and swap the battery. I have 3 and a wall charger. Having an extra battery is huge on long trips, and I can ditch the weight of an external battery pack. The H990DS version is dual sim.

https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_v20-8238.php
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Missed the cross post. thanks. I would suggest an LG V20. They are a bit over your 250 mark at 265 on ebay, but it is a Great phone at that price. It is my work phone. I love the camera, takes a memory card, supports the bands you want (LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 17(700), 20(800), 26(850), 28(700), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)), and for me best of all, is the best phone you can buy and swap the battery. I have 3 and a wall charger. Having an extra battery is huge on long trips, and I can ditch the weight of an external battery pack. The H990DS version is dual sim.

Are you using the OEM LG batteries?

If so, where did you get them - as I find that batteries on Amazon.com seem to be a bit shady...and do not perform - even if branded as LG.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks; I'm a bit confused between the different versions of the phone, but the specs look good -- Iike looks like the the US T-mobile version (H918) which seems to be the most readily available has different band support and doesn't support UMTS 900 while the H990DS does.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:44 am

Thanks; I'm a bit confused between the different versions of the phone, but the specs look good -- Iike looks like the the US T-mobile version (H918) which seems to be the most readily available has different band support and doesn't support UMTS 900 while the H990DS does.
Would you consider a refurbed Galaxy S7 edge?
Regardless of which variant you find, whether the US one or the International one, it's got pretty good band support.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by murtaza12
Would you consider a refurbed Galaxy S7 edge?
Regardless of which variant you find, whether the US one or the International one, it's got pretty good band support.
I've had bad experiences with both refurbished phones (I'd prefer to buy new, if possible) and with Samsung (which I'd prefer to avoid, if possible) so it sounds like kind of a lose-lose, but if it's cheap enough and the specs are good enough, I'd consider it.

3rd party sellers on fulfilled-by-Amazon have refurbished ones at the far side of $300, but if someone can suggest a better place to look (I've not bought anything non-disposable on eBay in years; I'm not opposed but am skeptical of their siding with the seller if I get a trashed phone) I can look.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:57 pm

I've had bad experiences with both refurbished phones (I'd prefer to buy new, if possible) and with Samsung (which I'd prefer to avoid, if possible) so it sounds like kind of a lose-lose, but if it's cheap enough and the specs are good enough, I'd consider it.

3rd party sellers on fulfilled-by-Amazon have refurbished ones at the far side of $300, but if someone can suggest a better place to look (I've not bought anything non-disposable on eBay in years; I'm not opposed but am skeptical of their siding with the seller if I get a trashed phone) I can look.
Haven't exactly had a great experience with refurbs myself, but I wasn't in the US and it was a crap seller.

What happened with Samsung? If anything, I've had a bad experience with LG and their QC issues in the past with the G4 and V10. The G5 and V20 aren't exactly safe either, one has GPS issues and the other has spontaneously dying radios, so your cell signal will just die and you would have to send the phone in. A friend on Verizon just sent in his V20 for exactly that.

As for the specs, the V20 and Galaxy S7 edge were both released in 2016, so they have got similar internals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.